Turbulent Times

Discussion in 'Politics' started by newo, Mar 14, 2018.

1. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The GOP has declared there is no evidence of collusion between the Trump Campaign and Russia, effectively closing the investigation. That's the good news for Trump.

On the other hand, Conor Lamb, a democrat, won a house seat in a Pennsylvania district that Mr. Trump won in 2016 by 20 percentage points. With the midterm elections 8 months away, Republicans must be terrified.

On top of that, thousands of students walked out on class in a nationwide protest against gun violence. The NRA's response? They tweeted out an image of an AR-style rifle, with the message, "I'll control my own guns, thank you."

Many of these students will be old enough to vote in the 2020 elections. We're witnessing a shakeup in this country not seen since the 1960s.

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

On the other hand, many of these students were middle schoolers, 6th graders, 11 year olds, with no idea why the hell they got some free time outside today.

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Many of them were high schoolers whose world views are being shaped right now .

ZenKarma and Tyrsonswood like this.
  4. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

Mountain out of molehill much?

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

Protesting legal gun ownership while they idolize gangster rappers.. Oh that's rich Alice, rich..

6-eyed shaman and machinist like this.
  6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Ganster rap isnt even a thing any more, get with the times grandpa. Kids are into EDM and trap music now

soulcompromise likes this.
  7. Kerri

Kerri Members

They’re not protesting legal gun ownership - they’re protesting for stricter laws. How do you know who the kids that protested idolize?

8. newo

I believe all this will lead to a major shakeup and reform of the Republican Party in order for it to survive.

9. Kerri

Kerri Members

I think it has to. The party needs to get back to what it was with Reagan - who incidentally was shot with a cadre of armed security experts surrounding him

10. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I guess if you like Friday the 13th movies, you can't complain about MS13 hacking people up with machetes.

See how silly that argument sounds?

Meliai and Kerri like this.
  11. Noserider

It's already happening. If your area has a chapter of the Log Cabin Republicans, I suggest you check out a meeting sometime. You might be surprised.

I predict that once the balance of power shifts from the current old guard to Republican Gen Xers and Millennials, the GOP will get back to it's libertarian and progressive roots.

12. newo

Yes, shot by a man who shouldn't have been allowed to own a gun.

I don't think getting back to the way it was before will get the job done. The Trump Administration is the last gasp of a conservative America that can't accept the way the world has changed, and it's failing miserably. The Republican Party needs to become more progressive. Better swim with the current or you'll sink like a stone!

13. Kerri

Kerri Members

Many of the battles the hard core Trumpers fight are already lost, they just don’t know it yet. There’s no turning back on globalization. It will become impossible to close borders. Progressive values revolving around minority rights are completely inevitable. Religion will continue to be less important.

14. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I hope not. I'm counting on the Darwin effect to eliminate the Republican Party.

snowtiggernd, Balbus and Kerri like this.
  15. Kerri

Kerri Members

I live in Boston so part of me is secretly hoping all the red states secede again

16. Noserider

Evolving? Isn't that what we're talking about?

17. Noserider

Remember when Romney provided...

Sigh

Fuck it.

Kerri likes this.
  18. deleted

deleted Visitor

So, this happened when Simeon Vocational Career Academy students were allowed by Chicago Public Schools to walk out of school to protest gun violence: some of them looted Walmart across the street!

machinist likes this.
  19. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Are you sure this isn't fake news? I tried to factcheck it. Didn't Facebook remove it? I found one on a WalMart in Mexico getting looted, but that wasn't tied to the walkout. Who is Renny Ren?

Here's footage on what happens when students were allowed to walk out elsewhere. Consider it their civics lesson.
    Energized students rally in National School Walkouts across US to end gun violence

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  20. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Pawns.

machinist likes this.