Tsunamis and George W. Bush

Discussion in 'People' started by tamino, Dec 30, 2004.

1. tamino

tamino Member

It seems that George W. Bush has been receiving quite a bit of criticism for placing a higher value on being on vacation than acting as a world leader and responding to the disaster in SE Asia.

This criticism seems to be well deserved and of no surprise as America has become the most despised country on the planet due to its calloused and inept President and his political leadership. [​IMG] It's going to be a long four years, god save us!

2. istillsupportkerry

istillsupportkerry Member

I agree with that who the hell re-eleceted bush anyway? For all you people like us read this book called something like ,Survival guide for the next four years, or something of that nature...its hilarous

3. Kandahar

Kandahar Banned

Until the criticism against him mounted, Bush offered less in relief aid to the Asian nations hit by the tsunami than he planned to spend on his inaugural ball.

4. meishka

meishka Grease Munky

i bet this will end up in the next micheal moore movie. bush just doesn't care about anything. he's got tunnel vision due to his home made war

5. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

The same is true for almost every country though, as people got more outraged, the amount of aid kept going up.

6. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

georgey is an ass.......but get real countries are not going to throw money willing around....if they did this planet would not be as fucked up as it is.

7. Kandahar

Kandahar Banned

Still though, the amount the United States has pledged so far is chump change...it's barely one-thousandth of what we're spending in Iraq. As a left-leaning libertarian, I'm the first to oppose reckless spending...but surely we can offer a few hundred million dollars in emergency relief aid to Asian nations without the federal budget taking too big of a hit.

8. LickHERish

LickHERish Senior Member

When it comes to your routine commentaries Inagoda, you are one of the resident poster children for "the US can do no wrong". Take your head out of your ass and examine US foreign policy for the past several decades for a change. You might actually wake up to the reality of why Washington deserves much more criticism than what it generally receives.

9. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

that is so true ...the US could ....but will it is a whole nother story... Iraq is a political/military action to enforce its global dominance.....the tsunami is a natural disaster with little gain for the US in its dominance.

10. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

its a long four years indeed...and we are most hated...for some reason i was thinking about the military bases around the world that we have....does anyone else....or is it just one more way that we are making sure we have our hands in everything...

but i say....he messed up and showed his priorities, this is true...but still our funds were increased...and now that japan offered more, i guarantee we will up ours...we cannot be outdone. we are too egotistical to let others outdo us

11. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

true we will increase funds .....sadly not as much as we could if we really wanted to ..... not only do we have military bases around the globe ...but troops in most countries...

12. Kandahar

Kandahar Banned

Compared to the size of our federal budget and our population, yes, $350 million is chump change. That's barely $1 per capita, while the Iraq war is costing Americans over $1,000 per capita.

Yes, we're second in relief aid behind Japan...but how big is the American GNP compared to the Japanese GNP? We should be way, way ahead of anyone else.

I don't know where you got the impression that I believe that America can never do anything right. If I thought that, then I wouldn't be wasting time encouraging people to support more government-sponsored relief aid, now would I? Why would you assume that my criticism of a policy (such as the amount of relief aid) means that I think America can never do anything right?

13. urbangal

urbangal Member

$350 millon/120,000(dead)= bye bye US outsourced jobs. So yes...IT IS CHUMP CHANGE. And hello, it took nearly a week of people making comments about the original $15 million to even get them to put out more then a little more. This so called "religious" president won't even take time out of his busy vacation schedule to go see the damage, no he sends his puppets instead.
    Whatever. Wake up, man. You fail to see that there is more to the bush policies than even a natural disaster. Tsk, man...tsk.

14. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

the president does not belong over their .....his place is here in the US ...the last thing those people need is foreign leaders marching around there.

15. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

being the dominate country on this planet means we get blamed for everything get over it............

16. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

cause we are the champions...we are the champions...no time for losers....we are the champions of the WORLD....

sorry, i dont sing well in the morning

17. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

Tony Blair is off on holidays aswell sunning himself in Egypt. Fair play to Japan aswell, 500 million is more along the lines of what should be donated.

18. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

what does your sig say

19. swimminthefish

swimminthefish Member

Why do you advocate giving money we don't have? The

deficit is increasing exponentially and you think we should
    give more? I don't follow.
    If you want to criticize Bush, which you should, talk about
    the war in Iraq, environmental policies, or bad grammar. Don't
    try to use an emotionally charged tragedy to try depict him as
    some sort of diabolical miser.
    Compare the funds the US is giving verses the EU. How about
    some criticism for Kofi Annan or Jacques Chirac.

Peace

20. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

The man from Ireland :)