trying to learn Spanish

Discussion in 'Spanish' started by spirit of the night, Jan 15, 2008.

1. s0ma

s0ma Member

^^es la verdad :D
    or, get a job at a hotel lol. I work at one and there's a guy who speaks no english, we sort of teach each other a little bit each day. I took 4 years of spanish in high school and i "technically" know all the verb tenses and stuff but it just helps to conversate. Sometimes I just feel really dumb, though, because he talks so damn fast. and of course reading and writing works as well.
    bien suerte

2. junZ

junZ -dreaded puertorican-

I'm from Puerto Rico... my main language is Spanish. if you need any help, let me know.

3. ashxcore

ashxcore Member

Busco a alguien que pueda charlar conmigo para que puedo mejorar mi espanol! Sigo sin fluidez aunque hace mucho tiempo que he sido aprendiendo el idioma...

4. The Earth

The Earth Om Tare Tutare Ture Svaha

you can download rosetta stone for free from torrents, I learn a mild grade of conversational spanish just by working for a couple of years with latinos, but I already knew french so that made it a lot easier

5. Delfynasa

Delfynasa Member

some more ideas...
    -Spanish language immersion schools, where you stay with a local family and learn Spanish in little classes. There are some in Mexico, Guatemala and Nicaragua that I know of. The one I went to in Nicaragua was awesome!!!
    -Spanish children's books for easier start on reading, coloring books and comic books
    -find bi-lingual books..poetry with Spanish on one side and English on the other
    -telenovelas; the soap operas in Nicaragua were made in Brazil by Portuguese speakers who would speak VERY clearly and a bit slowly to have their Spanish understood.
    -Practice on people in Spanish/Restaurants. It is fun, they are friendly and they will be ever so happy with you if you can properly insult rude customers in Spanish!
    peace
    Delfynasa

6. junZ

junZ -dreaded puertorican-

ash: necesitas mas fluidez en lo hablado o en lo escrito?

escribiendo, entiendo que no necesitas mas fluidez! lo haces muy bien.

si es hablado, consiguete skype y a~nademe. ;P

7. Delfynasa

Delfynasa Member

even more ideas....
    -many instructions on packages are bilingual;its
    fun to practice on them
    -freebies-I like poor person retail therapy ie; freebie sites
    you can get things in Spanish-so far I have received books,
    booklets, and posters in Spanish about health and religion
    -if you are Catholic learn to say the rosary in Spanish, a born
    againer? get a Spanish New Testament. If you like tarot cards
    there are Spanish ones and many that are labeled in multiple
    languages....Mormon? you can get BoMs in Spanish
    -if you are low on dinero try thrift shops and recycle centers
    for low cost or free Spanish texts and workbooks
    peace
    Delfynasa

8. acuarela

acuarela Member

Mar Adentro (The Sea Inside)

Any film directed by Almodovar (there's plenty to pick from)

Amores Perros

Y Tu Mama Tambien

Nueve Reinas

Maria Full of Grace

9. Guajiro

Guajiro Guest

hola soy un yanqui de origen caribeno (cuba y jamaica) :) si se quieren charlar mandeme un mensaje :)

Amor y paz

10. BornuvAfrica

BornuvAfrica Member

If any spanish speaker that also knows english could help me, te puedo ayudar con ingles :)

11. mokeh

mokeh Member

The best way for learning Spanish is meeting spanish people. But sometimes they talkt too fast so I always recomend to read books and use a dictionary in order to get the "main sense" of the language. Cinema is always a cool way, if you can use subtitles meanwhile; I mean, spanish audio, spanish subtitles :p

12. bluegypsyrain

bluegypsyrain Member

Yo tambien, ashxcore...quisiera practicar el espanol para mejorarse. Hace muchos anos que estudio el espanol. Sin hablar y escuchar todos los dias es mas bien dificil para mejorarse. Envíeme un mensaje, si quisieras :)

13. bluegypsyrain

bluegypsyrain Member

Try busuu.com for free language lessons.

There are lots of websites dedicated to promoting whatever language you may be interested in, with lots of free resources available.

Try listening to a Spanish-language radio station, either on the radio (!) or online. Watching Spanish-language tv helps, too. Hanging out in places where people speak Spanish--even if it's just KMart, Walmart, etc.--will also help you. You'll come across lots of regional accents, some easier to understand than others. FYI: Puerto Ricans typically talk a mile a minute. The trick, as you may know already, is to listen without getting hung up on words that are unfamiliar to you; this takes a lot of practice!

Don't freak out if people in the media talk faster than you can handle; I'm sure you'll find out that "real" people generally don't talk quite that fast.

Finally, hang in there--it's always worth it to learn another language; just don't overlook the culture/customs while you're at it!

I was married to a native speaker for 20 years, and he refused to teach any of our three kids Spanish on the grounds that he didn't think they'd understand what he was saying, and that since I had studied Spanish in high school, I could do it...yeah, right. Unfortunately, his generation grew up thinking that it was better to adopt English, so there are probably lots of people with Hispanic backgrounds who don't speak Spanish. ¡Qué lástima!

14. Wutangclanfan

Wutangclanfan Member

i agree with the first responce. by watching films you will be able to learn spanish a lot mroe easily

15. NYdeadhead1993

NYdeadhead1993 Member

If you are in America, Speak English! Lol

16. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

Spirit of the Night is English and lives in London England, United Kingdom.

17. NYdeadhead1993

NYdeadhead1993 Member

Same applies

18. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

Not in my opinion. For Europeans, learning other languages is important.
    London is a short train ride to France under the channel tunnel and a quick hop to Dutch speaking parts of Belgium. Welsh is the official language of Wales, a day's train ride to the west from London.
    Our English friends can speak what they want at home, but if they want to get ahead, they will learn one or two other languages.
    I have a friend in Switzerland who speaks 5 languages and it is nothing extraordinary. She only need go a few miles to be where a different language than her own dominates.

In the USA, you can go 2000 miles from Maine to Florida, New York to San Diego and get by on English only except for a few pockets where Spanish and French is a first language.
    With 10% or more unemployment, it is still not a bad idea to learn another language in the USA if you are looking for work in several types of career.

19. Lisales

Lisales Member

20. Lisales

Lisales Member