trying to learn Spanish

Discussion in 'Spanish' started by spirit of the night, Jan 15, 2008.

1. spirit of the night

spirit of the night Senior Member

heya

i am english and i would really love to learn spanish, i think it is the most beautiful language.

any tips?

Gracias!

blessings
    xxx
    xx
    x

2. kepashi

kepashi Member

hi
    try to watch film in spanish with english subtitles when you will get used to spanish , watch the films with spanish subtitles and don´t forget the spanish grammar!!!
    first understanding,second speaking and finally writing
    sorry for my english, i´m learning english too. if you have any question don´t hesitate to write me

3. spirit of the night

thank you Kepashi :)

great tips, very helpful.

can you recommend any good spanish films?

if you have questions about learning english you can ask me if you want :)

thank you!

blessings
    xxx
    xx
    x

4. xter

xter Member

i am a spanish girl. i can help you to speak and learn spanish and you could help me to learn english, if you want agree me : esther_sai@hotmail.com

thank you
    bye

5. spirit of the night

exactly how will watching a film in spanish help me?

blessings
    xxx
    xx
    x

6. Hilder

Hilder The Ganja Queen

I dunno about watching films. If youre starting to try and learn the language, they might be a bit fast for you. Like the above person said, practicing With someone who knows the language, but preferrably With someone who has a good enough grasp on both the english and spanish languages to translate correctly. Are youtrying to learn castillian or regular spanish? I am fluent in both, but prefer english as my dominant language, and I can help get you started if you wish.

7. spirit of the night

i am learning regular spanish.

my aim is to be fluent, would you say that having a tutor would be the best way?

thanks.

blessings
    xxx
    xx
    x

8. Hilder

Hilder The Ganja Queen

yes more than likely.. nothing beats conversational training. there are so many variations of one word that cant really be classified by tenses and if youre shooting for mastering it enough to converse With other spanish speakers, it would, I think have the best outcome..

9. RaggaButterfly

RaggaButterfly Member

Try listening to spanish music as well, films do really help, at first you wont understand anything but then you will start to pick up certain words and sentences. When i came to spain i learnt how to read and write first then i learnt how to understand it when it was spoken to me then i learnt how to speak it. listen to spanish music! and try translate the lyrics back into english

10. iouyumb

iouyumb Member

there is an effective way to imprvoe learning a language. Use speech synthesis softwares also called text-to-speech softwares. Most of the text-to-speech softwares can read text files in format of .txt and other file formats with natural voices using various voice engines. The text-to-speech voice engine on Vista is Microsoft Anna, and Microsoft Sam on the Windows XP. Vista users can hear a very clear voice of Anna, XP users would think the voice of Microsoft Sam is poor, but they can get other company's vocie engines which are more clear.

If your computer OS is English one, you can installing the speech synthesis freeware Panopreter, then install a Spanish text-to-speech voice engine, after you following the 2 installation, panopreter becomes an easy-to-use tool which reads files in Spanish and converts files into wave and mp3 audio files, so you can listen to them with a MP3 player. Here is a links for Spanish voices: http://www.cepstral.com/downloads/

11. Anistaulia

Anistaulia Member

Spanish radio, talk radio along with music helps because you're focusing on what you hear and not on reading the subtitles. Movies help because when you come across the words you don't know their there and it helps you notice the grammatical differences between spanish and english. Reading novels in spanish that you've already read in english help also.

12. iouyumb

iouyumb Member

Yes, there are many ways you can improve your language study. you should often read, listen and write.

13. travelgurl4life

travelgurl4life Member

Follow me on twitter @studyspanish. See you there!

14. Aprendiz Tristan

Aprendiz Tristan Member

Los escuelas nacionales son los lugares mejores a venir. Tengo un amigo, se llamma Dana, y esta estudiando en la escuela nacional de espanol. No lo se el precio de la matricula, pero me ha dicho que paga E180 cada mes. No te recomendaria los clases privados, o conversaciones ingleses. Tuve muy poco exito con dos gentes porque perdieron interesa muy rapido.

15. spirit of the night

Thanks guys :) on wednesday I will be having the last of 8 spanish lessons.

It has given me a base to work on at least!

Thanks again!

xxx

16. Official language school is the best way,as well as listening to and watching any kind of media in Spanish. You will be taught grammar, reading and writing as well speaking, but without a good founding in grammar you won't be able to progress with the other disciplines

17. SeleneG

SeleneG Member

Like anything the more exposure you have to something the more you absorb it.

If you can watch Spanish TV that is great and I have seen many people pick up the Spanish and the English language with this method.

Picking up and mastering basic words even off the internet will allow you to build a vocabulary.

Listening to Spanish media maybe radio even online radio will give you an ear for the language.

To really become a Spanish speaker, find someone to practice with. You can do this face to face or even onilne video chat. Best if someone is learning your language at the same time.

Selene

18. YukiYuu

YukiYuu Guest

I'm spanish so if you have any question I can help out =)

19. ValValPeace

ValValPeace Member

Listen to music, watch videos, tv, ect. in espaneol with ingles subtitles. It helps for me. Maybe rossete stone will help you? Also there are like youtube tutorials and stuff on it.

20. Animal Rojo

Animal Rojo Guest

Consígate una novia española /latina. No se puede fallar.