Trying To Get Back Into Doing What I Did Best

Discussion in 'Pollution' started by Logan 5, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

I used to pick up lots of litter. I remember when I was spending anywhere from 2 to 4 days a week picking it up. Not like I was doing it every day or every week, but I know from reviewing my notes, since 2005 I was averaging 1.8 tons per year that I picked up. A couple years I only did maybe 400-500 pounds, and one year I did over 5 tons. Just a matter of opportunity and timing.

I plan on adding all the pics I got from this last "mission".

"Mission"? Yeah, mission. It's my mission to do what I can to improve the environment with minimal conflict. Not always successful in minimal conflict, but I try. Some people just don't like it.

I look back on my efforts, I have been doing this since 1982. I was 12. And in those 33 years I have been assaulted, arrested and harassed. And you know something? Fuck'em. I'll do it anyway. It hurts no one. Fuck'em.

This is my planet, too, and I plan on doing everything I can to clean it up.

Attached Files:

6 people like this.
  2. Logan 5

I filled two 60 gallon bags 2/3 full. 80 gallons.

Attached Files:

3. Logan 5

At about 3.5 pounds per gallon, it comes to about 280 pounds.

Attached Files:

4. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Wow.

That's a really impressive history you've got there!

Kudos!

It's an awesome thing you do.

1 person likes this.
  5. Logan 5

Thanks! I have, somewhere, pics of all of my efforts since 2005. I used to document it everytime I did it, but after the years I lose things.

Attached Files:

6. Logan 5

Sometimes people will talk about how stuff is biodegradable. Maybe so. But do you want to go camping and find that a mile away someone dumped their garbage in the same creek your daughter was playing in?

Can we say "bear bait"?

Attached Files:

7. Logan 5

Look where this garbage was. Not an actual creek, no. But right next to a dry wash. And a group of farms only 3 miles away...using storm water to help water their crops.

Hey, it's desert.

Attached Files:

8. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

People can be so disgusting.

1 person likes this.
  9. Logan 5

And a group of farms only 3 miles away...using storm water to help water their crops.

Hey, it's desert.

I have a file with a map of the site, however I have to shrink it down before I can post it here. :9

Site A is 2.5 miles of roads, 70 gallons/200 pounds of litter, and Site B, the one with the pics, 80 gallons/280 pounds.
    This area (soon to be shown on map) so far is 150 gallons/480-500 pounds of litter in two days.

The map shows the proximity to farms.
    Then look at the flowing/artesian wells. That water comes from somewhere....

Think about this the next time you buy groceries.

10. Logan 5

A fellow hippy from HF, I forget his nick, told me I "earned" my tie-dyes. So when I'm wearing my tie-dyes and listening to the Mommas and the Pappas (sp?), I can say "damn skippy, baby! I earned'em!"

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

it seems like no matter where I move there is always that one guy who lives in the area and constantly roam around picking up litter. I really love those guys. Thanks, Logan.

1 person likes this.
  12. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

garbage.jpg the bush is awful around here too with idiots trying to avoid dumping fees by dumping illegally

ive picked out stuff like car batteries and aluminum wheels but leave the rest

the city has crews of students that go out and clean up...they fine people if they find your name on any of it

ive thought about picking it up but then id get stuck paying the dump fees and with my luck some idiot would see my truck full and take pictures and accuse me of being one of the dumpers..

i remember getting a few batteries and that rim from this pile

1 person likes this.
  13. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

out of curiosity, what justification do the harassers give for harassing you? and what law were you arrested for violating? this seems like something that would be universally considered a good thing to do, i just can't comprehend why anyone would give you trouble over it.

i think you might just be lucky in where you've lived. i've never seen such a guy, except for the occasional homeless guy who is just looking everywhere for recyclables.

i pick up trash if it's convenient. a lot of times the lack of available trash containers is a major factor that keeps me from doing more. just a couple days ago i was in a decent sized park and i found some broken glass right on the walking path. i picked it up and carried it with me for a half hour as i walked around the entire park, including the picnic area and the restrooms. there wasn't a single trash can in the park, and i was riding in someone else's car so i didn't want to bring a bunch of broken glass in there, so i eventually gave up and tossed it into the woods across the street.

14. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

People can be such ridiculous assholes about this subject. My husband and I learned the hard way a few years ago, when we were still just living together. I owned a vacant corner lot beside of my house, and it had a litter problem. When he was out there cleaning it up, sometimes young idiots in passing cars would yell things at him for no apparent reason. Sometimes they would throw out more trash in front of him, and one time a guy actually threw an empty beer can at him! We didn't even know these people. WTF were they upset about?

Then he figured out that nearly half the trash was being dumped there by people in our subdivision, and they were taking their dogs there for a walk, and not cleaning it up. He asked them nicely not to use that lot for a dump anymore, and most of them refused to cooperate. They said it had been the neighborhood dump for years, and it wasn't hurting anybody to dump their shit on that land, especially leaves and grass clippings. It didn't matter to them that I had paid for that land and was paying city taxes on it every year. They still considered it community property.

The only permanent solution for us was to move to a better neighborhood.

1 person likes this.
  15. Logan 5

You're more than welcome Meliai.

People are people, that's all I can say. Private individuals generally do it because they are either assholes or they could be the litterbugs and they don't want to get busted.
    But there are people that have positions of authority, and they like to flex their muscle. This time, it was really mellow. The county for the most part was appreciative except for a county commissioner and she was getting weird about it wanting to know what my intent was. Gee, I dunno. Getting ready for the invasion, I guess? LOL!
    The BLM has been the biggest problem in the past. But I did things my way and they chilled out big time.
    The state has been a problem, but they learned how to ignore me.
    The county, they have to live with me near by so they learned to love me. lol!

16. Logan 5

I went out this summer after college and was working a volunteer contract with the USFS. Apparently they felt that 4.74 miles on foot, .36 miles in canoe, resulting in 40+ gallons of litter somehow is meaningless. Hmmm.