Trump's Response to COVID-19

Discussion in 'Politicians' started by walkoflife, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

He called it "their" hoax? What does that mean? He said it was essentially a nothingburger, blown out way out of proportion by the Dems for political purposes. Now he's declared war on it. Spin it as you like. The more you try, the more ridiculous you sound.

nudistguyny and Tyrsonswood like this.
  2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

3. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Remarkably, the Trump Administration's Department of Health and Human Services ran a simulation of response to a viral pandemic originating in China called "Crimson Contagion" last January to August., showing that the U.S. would be woefully unprepared with resulting 110 million Americans sick, 7.7 million hospitalized and 586,000 dead.Before Virus Outbreak, a Cascade of Warnings Went Unheeded We were warned.

4. Their latest hoax is what he said. They have been pulling them out like Skittles since he was elected. I am interested in any quotes if you have them. Especially if they have any context. You still seem to think I'm a Trump fan and I am not. I'm just not a fan of gratuitous bullshit either.

5. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

You seem to be a consistent right winger in denial.

6. You seem to speculate. Come on now, you're positive anyone who doesn't agree with you is a right "winger". So it's a meaningless claim.

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I'm not seeing any denial

8. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

When has anyone denied the virus originated in China?

9. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Head of FDA contradicts Hephatrump 'on air' !!!

Trump says anti-malaria drug will be used ‘almost immediately’ to treat coronavirus but is shot down by own health chief
    President says popular Malaria drug has shown 'very, very encouraging early results' treating COVID-19

After weeks ago appearing unaware that vaccine testing can take years, Donald Trump on Thursday announced efforts to accelerate drugs to treat coronavirus and allow more Americans to access them – but his comments were again contradicted by one of his top public health experts.

Though vague, the president said he hopes Americans can go back to their typical lives "very soon" as much of the country is in a virtual lock down as the number of virus cases has doubled in two days – to over 10,000. "You'll be able to tell a lot in a week or so," he said without explaining why. One major reason appeared his confidence in a drug already on the market to treat – but not cure or prevent – the sometimes-deadly novel virus.

"Immediate, like, as fast as we can get it," Mr Trump described the new treatment push, adding he is moving to clear "red tape" to allow drugs already cleared by US federal agencies to counter other ailments and also to obtain medicines made in other countries to lessen the deadly bug's severity.

One is called Hydroxychloroquine, which Mr Trump described as a common drug used to treat Malaria.

The US Food and Drug Administration has worked to approve it much faster than normal to treat COVID-19, he said, saying it "won't kill anybody" even though it is a "very powerful drug" that has already "shown very, very encouraging early results." It will be issued by doctors as a prescription, the president said.

But then he turned the White House briefing room microphone over to FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn, who told a slightly different story, marking just the latest time during the outbreak and subsequent national shut down that the president has said one thing and a top federal health official has said another – or something similar, but also very different. Such has been the case on a myriad issues during the former reality television host and New York businessman's term in the White House.

Putting some process around Mr Trump's vague timeline, Mr Hahn explained that the Malaria drug will be tested for treating COVID-19 "in a very large clinical trial."

"That is a drug that the president has directed us to take a closer look at as to whether an expanded use approach to that could be done to actually see if that benefits patients," said Mr Hahn, adding: "And, again, we want to do that in the setting of a clinical trial, a large pragmatic clinical trial, to actually gather that information and answer the question that needs to be ... asked and answered."

The FDA boss also said his agency and others continued work on a vaccine for the novel virus, but echoed his public health colleagues by saying that might be "a year away."

In recent weeks, Mr Trump has contradicted his public health team by making comments that suggested he thought a vaccine could be developed, tested and deployed in just a few months. At one point, one of his top health aides, Anthony Fauci, had to break into a Cabinet Room meeting with drug manufacturers to correct the president by telling him a development-to-deployment vaccine effort could take over a year.

US senate passes bill with free coronavirus testing, paid sick leave
    As he has on the scope and severity of the coronavirus, Mr Trump on Thursday sounded a new tone on a possible vaccine.

"You have to have long tests," the president told reporters, to make sure once the drug "goes into someone's body, it's not going to cause destruction [or] do bad things."

Meantime, the president said he would approve any provisions added to a coming economic stimulus bill to restrict any monies companies receive from it to go to stock buy-backs. White House officials and lawmakers want those funds to help employees.

He also said he did not make a final implementation of his powers under the Defence Production Act to allow the federal government to obtain critical medical equipment and supplies because he would prefer for states to make those purchases. "We're not a shipping agent," the president said of the federal government

snowtiggernd and Okiefreak like this.
  10. Which is why I listen to NPR every morning. I KNOW they are going to present a purely slanted front with snarky jabs throughout their hard left harmony. But if I don't listen to them, I don't know what they are saying, so I would have no position to offer when countering their arguments. I'd be blind. Worse yet, I'd be arguing my own opinion as if it was theirs.

Not listening is either childish, stupid or arrogant. Either way, it leaves you in the dark.

Also, Fox News is not a hard right wing outlet, they are just paid opposition. Look who owns them. The only REAL hard right news you can find is elsewhere on the web. To this day if Fox does a story on Trayvon, they show a picture of a 12 year old. So I don't look to Fox as a bastion of truth either. But at least I know when they actually lie. Instead of assuming it's all the time.

11. Looks like some of us won't be getting it. The democrats wanted a means test, which I would agree to. Instead, they just went by income level. Which means all the "house poor" people out there will just have to eat paint chips.

12. That's not the stigma. The stigma is in Trump calling it a Chinese virus. That hurt lots of people's feelings, in the US. China doesn't care, just the American snowflakes looking for shit to bitch about.

13. A prime example of a guy who blurts out the first bit of shit he hears. He's grasping at straws on this issue, which should worry everyone.

Otherwise, he just bought Schwepps and wants to make a killing on tonic water.

14. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Childish, stupid or arrogant. Well thank you--compliments are hard to come by these days.---Joel

15. I clearly forgot vain. I was speaking to the concept of not listening in general. It's pretty clear you do listen, even to Fox. Otherwise how would you know they're a bunch of hacks? And they are. I find humor it all of this.

16. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

He's been asked to not do that and he continues to. What reason is there to not use scientific terms? It's dog whistle racism.

Trump doubles down that he's not fueling racism, but experts say he is

Why all the racism now? It must come from somewhere. Traditionally the alt-right loves Asia because they are like 95% one race and feminism does not really exist.

Backlash against Asians could hinder efforts to contain coronavirus, expert says

17. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

China Says Trump's 'Chinese Virus' Tweet Smears China

18. There is no racism in this issue. Just as Mexican is not a race, neither is Chinese nor is Spanish or Irish. And yet, they all have diseases named after them. It's no worse than the names of hurricanes. Consider who it is making this an issue, the press. They're bored and looking for whatever shade they can throw. Sometimes it's stupid. Sometimes it's just pitiful (like looking everywhere for race issues).

19. And yet, the American president is not letting anyone take over his use of the language. Imagine that, a president who isn't apologizing.

What I do find exciting though is that our schools are finally having to prove that they can indeed educate online. We've had the technology for decades. The down side of course is that educators will now have broad exposure, daily. Unions will harp about "Big Brother" and such.

Which will lead to someone saying "why do we need so many teachers for online classes?" Naturally teachers will always matter, but their reach is about to expand considerably. Much like educators on yootoob. Quality and popularity will morph as well.

We're also learning that the data caps have been a lie all along, to score extra money for the same service.

And none of this is a race issue!

20. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I have a little knowledge of Trumps pathology since my father was an equally vocal bigot and racist. His last target when he was still alive were Hmong people who were invited here after the Vietnam war. The putting down of other groups is usually directed at other ethnicities and when that group looks different it’s especially ugly....and much more difficult to erase over time. So it’s not necessarily racism but the intent is the same. In my home town the predominant ethnicity was German but there were disparaging terms for people from other parts of Germany other than Northern Germany. That has disappeared over time because the targets didn’t look so different. I now live in the greater Seattle area and it is refreshing to live in a area where ethnic and racial put downs don’t go over so well.