Trump's Response to COVID-19

Discussion in 'Politicians' started by walkoflife, Mar 18, 2020.

1. walkoflife

walkoflife Some Assembly Required Super Moderator

Minus the obvious nonsense you are reading on other social sites, Trump's response to this pandemic has come with mixed reviews.

Some believe he's not acting fast enough.
    Others just want the guy gone from office.

How would you gauge Trump's response to this global health crisis, and what should he do differently?

Was his elimination of the truck driver Hours of Service law appropriate?
    Should he have banned visitors to America from ALL countries?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

everybody thinks their getting a check now...

Eric! likes this.
  3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

You be the judge.
    From Jan. 31
    Feb. 18:
    Feb. 28:

Eric! and scratcho like this.
  4. walkoflife

walkoflife Some Assembly Required Super Moderator

As much as it SHOULD be given to everyone, any stimulus funding plan will come with plenty of trepidation. It will go to people that are recently unemployed, currently employed, or are currently a Title IV-D child support recipient. Everyone else MAY get something, but I doubt a full $1,000.

Mustard Tiger and soulcompromise like this.
  5. My take on Trump's views is that i don't really care what he thinks. If anything he needs to educate himself on a lot of things.

jagerhans likes this.
  6. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Coronavirus is doing better job of making a case for UBI than Andrew Yang did

7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Donald Trump's response to Covid-19

[​IMG]

tjr1964, erofant, jagerhans and 4 others like this.
  8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Imagine if Joe Biden was in charge at the moment

"We are doing every thing possible against the daytona...the mimosa...oh, you know, the thing"

9. lode

lode Banned

JoeAlvon likes this.
  10. lode

lode Banned

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

lode likes this.
  12. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

"Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation in which a person or a group covertly sows seeds of doubt in a targeted individual, making them question their own memory, perception, or judgment, often evoking in them cognitive dissonance and other changes such as low self-esteem. Using denial, misdirection, contradiction, and misinformation, gaslighting involves attempts to destabilize the victim and delegitimize the victim's beliefs."

scratcho and Okiefreak like this.
  13. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

His response has been pathetically bad, incoherent, and erratic. At first, it was denial and minimization. Remeber when he was saying it was a Democrat hoax, meant to do him in? Or when he was telling everyone, contrary to the opinion of his own medical experts, that testing was available for everyone.? Now its "bad,bad" and we must do sonething BIG. How could it have been worse? Why are we even asking this question?

14. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Like almost all viruses that have hit us over the last few decades, corona19 came out of China. The corona family of viruses is common in animals and fairly harmless. However 19 is a mutation that has developed in humans. China has billions of poor people living in indescribable conditions, where they share their huts and shelters with animals that they eat, often raw. It seems likely to me, that these poor and almost starving people will eat chickens that die from disease and thus allow the virus that killed them to mutate.

Last week, the total deaths in the UK hit 34, but panicking people seem to have ignored the fact that they ALL had serious pulmonary conditions that allowed the virus to turn to septicemia that antibiotics could not overcome. (septicemia is bacterial). Sadly, the vast majority of these people would already have had a prognosis of weeks or months.

I would say that corona19 will be serious in less than 1 in 100 people and life threatening in about 1 in 1,000. These people may need respiratory assistance in the form of a bag/mask, but few will require mechanical assistance.

Viruses tend to burn out within about 18 months, when crowd immunity kicks in. So all world leaders need to do is slow down the spread over periods that will not totally disrupt the country. THIS IS ALL THAT ANYONE CAN DO.
    Hopefully the 2020 flue vaccination (released before winter) may help. People should not normally now have last years vaccination unless prescribed by a doctor for a specific reason. People don't seem to realize that for 14 days following the vaccination their immune system is virtually shut down as their body adjusts to the antibodies in the vaccine. During this period, they are wide open to corona 19.

Lets all hope that things will calm down and people will stop fighting over the last packet of eggs and toilet rolls. A few months on, food will be rotting on the shelves.
    Their will be a few local problems, but when the panic stops, we can all cope and governments will be able to step in and help where necessary.

PS, What do YOU think that Trump should do. His earlier measures seemed quite sensible to me. Don't forget that he is not a doctor, so not following advice from REAL experts could have a disastrous backlash.

Beach Ball Lady Balls likes this.
  15. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

But Trump says he knows more that the doctors, and what he initially did was not follow the advise of the REAL experts.

But I guess that's okay...

16. Yea, but it's not supposed to be said. Because feelings.
    [​IMG]

hotwater, 6-eyed shaman and wilsjane like this.
  17. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I did not say that and being in the UK we get somewhat biased news.
    It did however appear to me that his early approach was sensible, Don't forget that not all doctors agree with each other and some are renowned for having very little common sense outside the operating theater.

I think that the advice given by the UK chief medical officer was wise, but somehow he now seems to have been dragged into the storm. It is such a difficult situation when a person is making decisions that can affect so many lives in so many different ways.
    The implementation of any measures are so complex. For example, our daughter is letting a few people off minor offences with a verbal warning, rather than herding all the idiots into police cells, but she is not kicking all the murderers and rapists out of prison.
    We simply need a system where everyone works together and considers the consequences of their actions. Perhaps a good example is how the workers in occupied France happily built trucks for the Nazi occupiers. The smiles on their faces were in the knowledge that the trucks would fall apart before they ever reached the front line.

18. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Listened to his press conference this morning: Nobody has done what I've done. Never been anything like it. The usual jackassery puffing himself up.

snowtiggernd and MeAgain like this.
  19. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

His early approach was to call it a hoax.

20. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I dunno. What I was hearing from him at first was a lot of denial and blame gaming: . "We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It's, uh, gonna be just fine." Then Trump likened the Democrats' criticism of his response to the to their efforts to impeach him, saying "this is their new hoax." During the speech he also seemed to downplay the severity of the outbreak, comparing it to the common flu. After that, he assured people that tests were available for everyone, despite statements to the contrary from his own public health experts. And now, it's the equivalent of war. Do you really think his earlier measures--denial, minimization, and false information-- were quite sensible? Yes, "not following advice from REAL experts could have a disastrous backlash." Let's see if it does.

scratcho likes this.