Trump: Opioid 'national shame' a public health emergency

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Joshua Tree, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41756705

I believe opiods killed both Michael Jackson and Prince. 140 deaths a day is an incredible number. Is it really that easy to get hold of them? Just ask Dr Feelgood?

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

President Trump said that 7 people per hour overdose, I believe.

It's not easy to obtain them by legal means.

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Something very fishy when the media says things like "more than 140" like, well what is it then? Is it 141, or 141,000? If they know it's more than 140, then why not tell us the number they see? Very very fishy.

2 people like this.
  4. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

it is probably a lie, man has a problem with the truth and can't wait to see how he twists into yet another "ME,ME,ME" kinda self serving bunch of bullshit.
    he has no soul and will use anyone or anything to make himself look better, just wait and see....

3 people like this.
  5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Some editors are weird about exact numbers, especially in something that fluxes.
    Typically, the phrase more than 140 is 140-150.

6. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

The number that I heard this morning on the CBC was an average of 142 per day.

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I'm not buying the bullshit that most of them started off being addicted to painkillers, thats what you self report to health care workers and the media

If Heroin use has pretty much quadrupled in the last decade, prices should have shot up (pun intended), assuming roughly the same availibility per capita

Something very fishy about your supply chains....probably along the lines of your drug enforcement agencies arent doing the job they used to and no one wants to say why or pay for it

8. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

What occurs to me is that he (the President) may perceive this as a way to take the heat off (Russia, etc) by implementing policy. The thing is we know the war on drugs doesn't work that well. There are more incarcerations I think for drug possession than any other offense. If we look at bureau of prisons statistics the numbers are a bit alarming. I'm not going to say that there isn't a problem, but I will say there's a right and a wrong way to combat it. Putting people in jail hasn't worked. They should be put in government funded treatment.

1 person likes this.
  9. eggsprog

The introduction of cheap synthetic opioids (fentanyl and its analogues) from china and other clandestine labs has led to an increase in availability of heroin and has allowed it to remain relatively cheap, especially when compared to the rising prices of legitimate pharmaceutical opioids.

10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

That doesnt make sense though, if carfentanil is 100 times stronger than heroin and the US is supposedly flooded with product of that from china

Why still so many / such a spike in heroin ODs

Seems to defy the laws of supply and demand, increased availability of a product 100 times better than an inferior product leads to increased demand of that inferior product whilst somehow not driving up the price

Something doesnt smell right

11. eggsprog

most of the 'heroin' on the streets is actually a mixture of heroin, some sort of filler/cut like B12 powder/baking soda/etc. and a synthetic opioid like fentanyl. there has been a spike in overdoses among people who think they are buying heroin, but who are actually more likely to be buying a stronger drug such as fentanyl.

because these synthetic opioids are so strong, it is much harder to use them safely. there is such a small amount of the actual drug in the bag of powder that a user could do a shot of only 1/10th of a bag but get 90% of the active drug. it is super hard to judge dosages and therefore accidental overdoses have risen dramatically.

2 people like this.
  12. Aerianne

Yes, that's how I understood what I've been hearing about the overdoses.

13. Aerianne

President Trump said there would be a crack down on internet drug sales.

14. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

why isn't there a crack down on gun sales?
    People kill themselves with all kinds of things...alcoholism being one of them. i am more worried about what people kill other things with.
    Could it have to do with where the money is going for any sale and how it benefits him in the long run..? hmmm.
    i am certainly not going to sing for he's a jolly good fellow ever.

Thinking is flawed somewhere.

15. Aerianne

Please don't turn this into a gun debate.

This isn't the thread for that.

16. Aerianne

Facts are, that drug deaths outnumber homicides and car accident deaths, combined.

"President Donald Trump claimed that “more people are dying from overdoses today than from gun homicides and motor vehicles, combined” during a Thursday speech on the opioid epidemic.
    Verdict: True
    Deaths in the U.S. from drug overdose surpassed deaths from “gun homicides and motor vehicles, combined” in 2015. Although finalized overdose death data has not yet been released for 2016, estimates indicate that overdose deaths are again set to eclipse total deaths from motor vehicle accidents and gun homicides.
    Fact Check:
    According to the Centers For Disease Control And Prevention (CDC), 52,898 people in the U.S. died from drug overdose in 2015.
    In comparison, the Gun Violence Archive estimates that 13,502 Americans died from non-suicide gun fatalities and the Insurance Institute For Highway Safety (IIHS) estimates another 35,092 Americans died from motor vehicle accidents in 2015. These figures add up to 48,594 total deaths.
    This means 4,304 more Americans died in 2015 from drug overdose than from gun homicides and motor vehicles accidents combined."

https://thelibertarianrepublic.com/fact-check-drug-overdoses-kill-americans-gun-homicides-motor-vehicles/

1 person likes this.
  17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I dont really get the need to politicize this

I'm sure you all know I'm no fan of Trump but it is good he is turning his attention to this. It has been a public health crisis for a while.

18. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Is cannibis included in that? I am pretty dumb about drugs and drug sales.....as i am not interested in drugs.....but i do wish cannibis was made legal here in NY. I don't even think you can get it medically here......That is the only drug i ever tried....as it did me well and calmed me down.

19. eggsprog

It is impossible to die from a cannabis overdose.

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

States that allow medical and legal cannabis have actually shown a decrease in opiate use

So that should definitely be part of the conversation

1 person likes this.