Trump is not racist: Change my mind

Discussion in 'Politicians' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Aug 13, 2019.

1. I remember it a little differently. Prime time included shows like The Jefferson's, Good Times, What's Happening, Sanford &Son, and later the Cosby show.

Star Trek is famous for the first interracial kiss on TV.

If you go back into black and white movies you might be surprised at the overall diversity. But then, Cleopatra was played by Liz Taylor (of all things) so top stars still got the better roles regardless of race. Chuck Connors played Geronimo brilliantly, but, he's nowhere near native.

Heck I even remember Chico & the Man!

2. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

There are always exceptions to the rules. I bet you can name more "white" shows than you can "black" ones.

And far as white actors playing people of color.. LOL no that's not diversity. Mr. Yunioshi anyone? White people doing characitures of minorities isn't diversity, its racism.

The fact that it still happens blows my mind...Ghost in the Shell, Dr Steange, Lone Ranger

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

But most of those shows and the tv moment mentioned are note worthy in the sense it was new and exceptional. Of course changes were happening in the tv and movie world since the 50s. Doesn't mean such diversity and equality didn't came a long way.

Okiefreak likes this.
  4. Asmodean

Depends on the exact context. People agitate against the ways minorities get forcefully better represented because of generalized statements like these.

5. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

How so?

6. Asmodean

If its not ment to discriminate or offend it is not racism.

7. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

It is discrimination. They're hiring white people to play people of color instead of casting people of color

8. Asmodean

You really can't see that doesn't always have to be for discriminary reasons? The comedy genre is of course the most obvious example. But it could even be for antiracist reasons, like in a historic movie about the 1920s movie industry for example

WritersPanic likes this.
  9. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Panic, there are millions of KKK members. They tend to be very wealthy business owners and men in high government positions. Some are even doctors, lawyers, and college professors. They Klan is a reinvention of DC Stephenson's ideology. It is a takeover of each state legislature until the federal government becomes a servant of the revived Confederacy. The Klan operates in the open here in Indiana. The North Carolina Klan endorsed Trump. In Texas and Wisconsin they recruit in the open.

10. Not really, because I wasn't thinking in those terms back then. I was surfing 3 VHF and 2 UHF channels for the best entertainment possible. That came with all kinds of people. What's interesting is that I think we had more shows back then that were 100% black than we do today. During disco I didn't miss an episode of Soul Train or American Bandstand. I stole moves from both and all it did was make me more popular, with both.

I pity everyone who is mired in all the racial shit these days. Especially the ones who never had anything to do with any of it. I was a baby in 62, but today I'm an "old white man" and basically public enemy number one. I can be blamed for Jim Crow, lynchings and fried chicken. What's hilarious in a Pyrrhic way is that the people who have been inclined to lay this kind of shit on me generally believe that they can't possibly be racists.

Amazing.

11. There's never been a black show I really liked. But I'm over here watching Andy Griffith. I guess I don't really like most white shows either. In Living Color was decent.

12. I remember a version of this......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2020
  13. That's totally unfair to Andy Griffith.

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

if we need to blame someone for the blacks' problems, i would go with tyler perry.

15. Dunno who that is.

16. lode

lode Banned

My favorite was the cartoon Boondocks. I don't like most serial dramas.

I've always meant to catch Blackish because Donny T called it racist. Fucking LOL.

17. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

From a cultural history in television course I took, the late sixties seems to have been the big turning point, with Cosby as the co-star in I Spy. Before that, the best blacks could do were Amos and Andy (Holy Mackel!) and Rochester, Jack Benny's butler. The Jeffersons, Good Times, etc., were products of the Norman Lear era. Starting with Archie Bunker, Lear made a successful effort to change American attitudes on race. The seventies were a more enlightened era in this country, before the Reagan backlash. .

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    stormountainman and Asmodean like this.
  18. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

I’ve always had a problem with the supposed Kirk/Uhura kiss that is often cited as the first interracial kiss in that it was not consensual it was forced on the couple against their wishes by mind controlling aliens, so I don’t see it as a real kiss.

19. Asmodean

Its the first interracial kiss by ACTORS in a tv show. So it counts as real alright.

20. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Didn't Kirk kiss that green woman first?

WritersPanic likes this.