Trump and a Post-Truth World:

Discussion in 'Politicians' started by MeAgain, Oct 10, 2019.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

This is not a thread for the light hearted.

It's based on a 94 page pdf by the philosopher Ken Wilber.

It is not a condemnation of Trump, per se, but an attempt to understand what is going on in the world that allowed for his election.

I openly encourage everyone to download and read the pdf. It is long, it is easy reading but has deep implications and requires extensive thought.

I strongly recommend it to Republicans, Liberals, Democrats, Libertarians, right and left wing, etc.
    Especially to those who disagree with me, or my views.

Wilber finds fault with every aspect of society.
    The internet, academia, conservatives, liberals, etc.
    No one is left out.

I'll drop in a few paragraphs below:

Meliai and Asmodean like this.
  2. MeAgain

3. MeAgain

4. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Ken Wilber is boring and pointless, a western attempt at Asian philosophy that is way too metaphysical to be very practical. You cannot attack what you cannot comprehend, your own soul among other things, and attempting to describe the human soul in metaphysical terms is counterproductive. Controlling the distribution of information will get you nowhere, if you cannot encourage people to become better as individuals and members of society. Wilber's philosophy provides neither the tools to do so, nor the soul required. Talk is all he's got.

5. MeAgain

It would be really nice if we could overcome some of our disagreements by analyzing what this has to say and admitting we all have issues that need to be addressed.

6. MeAgain

Thanks for your input...I take it you read this expose?

7. wooleeheron

People are organizing like fucking chickens, our own neurons organize like fucking chickens, and it doesn't require a damned genius to know the emperor has no clothes. Overcoming the inertia of the flock's reactionary lifestyle requires mathematics that are about to be revealed in excruciating detail, that's my work, is helping to interpret them and encourage their development. People are obvious not merely chickens, and studying them as such is anathema in academia, which has no sense of humor, but AI is about to lay all the issues to rest mathematically and provide the foundations for the next scientific revolution. Wilber is an old school western romantic academic, which is precisely his problem. Romance is simply not always practical.

Chicken flock behavior is that of the mindless mob, but fucking around with 300 million people's lives on the assumption they are a mindless mob, really requires extreme precision. The trick is to help them wake themselves up, and make sure somebody is actually listening, before attempting to talk to them. Thankfully, because they behave like mindless chickens, it can be done without their knowledge and awareness. To them, anyone who contradicts their world views is just an idiot or insane.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  8. Can't you summarize his point? I hate reading pdfs.

9. wooleeheron

I didn't bother, I know his work and how he thinks, better than the man does himself. He could not be more predictable, like a fucking chicken. I am a linguist, and can skim dozens of pages of text like his, never reading a word, and point out where they make assumptions and logical errors, just by the shapes of the paragraphs. Knowing the language of nature herself has certain advantages. Call me crazy if you want, but I had to close two email accounts and put Linux on my computer, because my work can be used for anything, including putting a cruise missile right through your front door. Most academics would call me insane, but I've had one mathematician whose work is classified, just flat out ask me to write nonsense for him.

The simple truth is our universe is magical, composed of the collective unconscious, and the Pentagon and others have known it since roughly the Vietnam war, and heavily censored the internet and text books for anything related to the subject. They did not invest over a trillion dollars in AI research last year, just to make self-driving cars, which are already safer. I tell them to be careful what you ask for, because they are about to encounter mother nature, and she has no pity for fucking chickens whatsoever, except that they can become aware.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  10. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Okay...

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Thanks for sharing, Meagain. I'll definitely give it a read soon when I have a chance

12. MeAgain

It's pretty complicated but here goes.

Man and mankind evolve through different levels of consciousness.
    Currently society is at the Green level, that is, since the sixties, and the boomers, society has realized that we haven't really lived up to the notion that all men are created equal. So boomers, in general, started the civil rights movement, women's rights, gay rights, etc.
    This was all to the good.
    But they were the leading edge of society. The main part of society was still in preceding levels. That is the Orange rational scientific stage, Blue adherence to authority stage, Red domineering stage...and a few even lower stages.

Now that explanation is very simplistic, but maybe you get the idea.
    Society evolves from "lower" stages to higher stages. Thus society as a whole has evolved beyond the early stages in which slavery was permissible to the present stage at which we are trying to include all groups and individuals as equals.
    But individual humans are always born at the lowest stage and must grow into and through the higher stages. Some get stuck in one or another stage, so that at any time there will always be individuals in society at every level. Very low, low, medium, and high.

Which brings us to Trump.
    As the Green members of society looked around and realized that we aren't living up to the idea that all men are created equal they attempted to remedy the situation. But in doing so they went overboard and started to blame previous levels without realizing that everyone must pass through those levels. They attempted to force the lower levels to accept their views without realizing that they can't accept them as they have no idea what they're talking about.

Thus affirmative action, censorship of free speech by radicals, political correctness, etc.
    They came to see the lower levels as Hillary Clinton's "deplorables", thinking they consciously choose to remain at that level.
    They didn't and most still don't realize that those people at the Orange, Blue, Red, etc. levels have no choice in the matter and the only thing to be done is to help them rise to a higher level.

Instead, the Green level people started name calling, and telling the others how disgusting they were. The deplorables.

Now these "deplorables" noticed what was happening and rebelled. And how did they rebel? They voted for a man who swore to destroy everything the Green level stood for, civil rights, immigration, environmental protections, international cooperation, universal health, etc.
    They felt the Green level, (read liberal Democrats) abandoned them.

And they felt that the Green level had been lying to them. So they came to believe there was no such thing as truth. Everybody lies.
    There is no truth and thus they were now free to invent their own truth.

And who is the best at inventing his own truth?
    Donald Trump.
    But that was a pretty simple and probably inaccurate accounting of the depth of the pdf...I understand it's a long read and I hate to read anything on a computer or phone...but sometimes it's worth the effort.

13. wooleeheron

In over a century of efforts, nobody has ever documented the existence of common sense anywhere in the world, least of all, in the hallowed halls of academia. Apparently, I'm in good company.

14. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

The writer must have traveled through rural Ohio at some point...

stormountainman and Meliai like this.
  15. wooleeheron

These days, that describes congress.

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

So babyboomer propaganda basically

17. It's easy to accept lies when the only thing Americans care about is the economy. So long as everyone's got more money in their pocket, it seems increasingly so, we aren't really disturbed by the government's actions.

I think civil rights began much earlier than the so-called Greens, though. America is kind of founded upon doing things for the right reasons, noble reasons. If it hadn't been that way in the first place, we'd have never progressed to where we are now. America is, essentially, an ideal with no upper limit. The experiment won't stop until there is justice for everyone. But right now we barely even do the right thing anymore. There have been too many instances of doing the wrong thing that has corrupted the ideal.

stormountainman likes this.
  18. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

I like it, MeAgain. I do have a few concerns here: If one does not believe in God and CREATION it would follow that men are not created equally. And there is an argument that men evolved in a none equal way, depending on their life's circumstances. I am not making an argument for social Darwinism; however, I fell it should be the moral duty of government and men who are "better off" to help the less fortunate, sort of like modern day chivalry. We need modern day replicas of Don Quixote in the Green environmentalist and civil rights model for things to work. The Republicans have their own replicas as you can imagine.

19. It wouldn't necessarily follow. Nature can create, too. I feel nature essentially created everyone equally. There aren't any major differences. It's not like we're all trying to give a leg up to a group of people who insists on eating their own feces.

stormountainman likes this.
  20. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

I just don't think we were created, so I don't think we evolved equally. Rabbits and foxes are not equal. Apples and oranges are not equal. We can say that we are equal under the law; but, is that the same as creation? Trump was born to a million dollar fortune. Was he created equal to you? Can he spell equal to you? I think the boomers who MeAgain is speaking about need to push aside vanity in life and ponder the moral imperatives, aside from just environmental issues. They need to ponder the human condition, because of the lack of equality.

granite45 likes this.