Trump Acquittal Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Politicians' started by walkoflife, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Yes, lots of minorities were pushed around in this country back in the day: Irish immigrants, Italian immigrants, Polish immigrants, etc. None quite like the experience of actually being dragged over here in chains and made somebody else's property. An 8 year contract of indenture isn't really the same as a lifetime bondage for yourself and your children and their children, etc. The post I was replying by Srgreene said: "As an American of East Asian ancestry, a decided minority in this country, I cannot stomach the continual claims about racism, and wonder why Asians are not nearly as prone to whining about it." In an attempt to account for that phenomenon, I suggested that the Asian population in the United States was smaller, and that Asians didn't have the experience of being forced from their lands onto reservations or being dragged over here and enslaved. And that's largely true. The Native American experience I know something about, since my ancestors were driven from their homes east of the Mississippi and forced walk the "Trail of Tears" along with the other civilized tribes to come here to Oklahoma. Fortunately, we didn't have the reservation experience of most other tribes, but we had to fend for ourselves and start over in land where we were regarded as intruders by neighboring tribes. Not much "whining" from us. In fact, we tend to be generally gung-ho about the U.S. and being Americans. Understandably, figures like Andrew Jackson aren't our heroes, and Trump's probably conscious choice to present an award to a Native American in front of Jackson's picture rubbed it in. African-Americans likewise had an ordeal, first as slaves, then as citizens under the apartheid restrictions of the South or as ghettoized immigrants in northern cities. It wasn't until the sixties that we had the Civil Rights laws that reshaped race relations in this country.

Poor SRGreene, coming to this country from the Philippines, "cannot stomach the whining" from these minorities, and wonders "why Asians are not nearly as prone to whining about it." I was suggesting these differences in history and experience might help to explain the phenomenon. BTW, she isn't Chinese. Presumably, she had no personal experience with the Anti-Coolie Act, which was in 1862 was a phenomenon of California in 1862. Which Anit-Coolie Act are you talking about, the U.S. act of 1862 banning transportation of 'coolies' in ships owned by citizens of the United States of America"? That one was signed by Lincoln, obviously a Republican. Or we you thinking of the California state law of the same year, putting a tax on coolies (soon oveturned by the Supreme Court), reflecting the growing fear of the "Yellow Peril". To say that one was an "invention of the Democrats" is misleading in a couple of respects: (1) it was California Democrats, not "the" Democrats, who passed it in the Civil War Era,(2) the Democrats were a different party then: the party associated with the South and slavery. As a result of dramatic changes over the centuries, the Solid South is now Republican, and the Democrats took the lead in getting those Civil Rights Acts passed,(3) the Anti-Coolie Act was a manifestation of Nativism, which is now closely associated with Trump, the figure you so ardently defend in so many posts. Republican President Lincoln banned the coolie trade in indentured labor in 1862.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    MeAgain and granite45 like this.
  2. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It’s absurd to even call it a “trial”. Imagine for a minute a poor person who shoplifts a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk. Then we’d see how the law treats the have-nots....at the very least the trial would include witnesses, a paper trail and the consequences would be swift and sure. The “R” certainly didn’t want justice for Trump; did they all fear that their own corruption would smell in the light of day? The rest of us don’t even need to legitimize the miscarriage of justice we just saw by talking about it in terms of what justice is for us.

MeAgain, Tyrsonswood and Okiefreak like this.
  3. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

You're human it happens :)

we've all done it

MeAgain likes this.
  4. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Men who hate Trump close kitchen drawers with their hips

Bullzaye and WritersPanic like this.
  5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Proof?

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

men who love trump close kitchen drawers with their guns.

7. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

So you're saying President Bone Spur is the macho candidate, a real tough guy? Confirms my theory that insecurity about masculinity is a potent source of Trump's appeal to folks like Milo Yiannopoulos and the Proud Boys. Castration anxieties manifested in a fear of feminists and attraction to thuggish leaders. Unfortunate though that strength is equated with bullying, bluster and brutal, reckless behavior, for which we'll all suffer.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    scratcho and stormountainman like this.
  8. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Members

A sense of humor...is a marvelous thing!

scratcho likes this.
  9. Varmint

Varmint Member

As I recall, Mr Johnson said that "I'll have those n*****rs voting democrat for the next ... years". Yeah, he was really serious about signing that bill. Truth is, he saw the handwriting on the wall and needed the good PR for a change. The democratic party I once knew as a child died with JFK.

As for other civil rights acts, I'm no longer up to speed on these anymore. Too much drama and overload.

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  10. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Than how was he 'guilty as sin' ?

11. Varmint

Varmint Member

I prefer using my hands, but whatever floats yer boat.

12. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

From the clear and convincing evidence presented in the House Hearings.

MeAgain and stormountainman like this.
  13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Just a friendly reminder this is the guy that guys like you hold up as some sort of alpha male ideal:

20200208_153043.jpg

14. Tyrsonswood

Spray tan, FTW

Maybe it's those damned light bulbs

lol

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Spray tans are so manly

You really gotta wonder about dudes who think of trump as an alpha male ideal though, seriously. It's so weird to me

16. Varmint

Varmint Member

Lets put this on the record: I voted for Trump, and there will be no apologies.
    There's never-trumpers on both sides of the isle. Wafflers and centrists, as well. And then there are those whining, perpetually-offended lefties with the crazy looks, the mask-wearing criminals with bike locks in socks, and even those who sat on the floor of the chambers in protest looking like a bunch of diaper-wearing pussies. Yeah, I said that. It's how I really think of these types, and I'm tired of them all. I want them all gone like cockroaches, bedbugs, and rats.

I'm not at all convinced that Trumps run and victory started off with a wager that he just couldn't do it, to which he replied: "Hold my beer..."
    He's arrogant and crude, with a somewhat questionable and very public history of socially-unacceptable behavior. But that has nothing to do with why I voted for him.

Remember Sarah Palin and how the media attacked her? Yeah. They started in with Trump the same way. And that is precisely the reason why I voted for him. He drove the press absolutely bonkers. And then he did the unimaginable: He did the same thing to everyone else who'd been in politics for decades, and then to many who weren't. It was epic. Totally a beautiful thing to behold. I loved it. All those self-important self-congrtulating numbnuts who'd been in office for years and never actually DID anything they promised they would do. The exact opposite of Obama and Boehner, who should both be sitting on pikes somewhere for betraying those that voted them in.

Yeah, I voted for him, and I hope he gets another 4 years, too. I hope he's followed by another hard-right candidate who's willing to go even further by prosecuting the likes of everyone from every party who is guilty of corruption. I hope he stuffs every accursed one of them into conex boxes like sardines and dumps them in the desert to tune up for a couple weeks.. I absolutely hate what these career politicians have done to our once-beloved Republic, and one way or another, those guilty will pay. I won't be their judge, but now the world has my unvarnished opinion of them all.

Trump may not be what anyone wanted, but I wouldn't trade him and his priceless tactless insults for anything. 4 more years and then some!

WritersPanic likes this.
  17. Varmint

Varmint Member

Ah....I mis-read the other one like this. But I'm still using my hands. My gun is only for the gravest extreme. Cabinets and drawers don't qualify, thank you.

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

That's interesting you like Trump so much but you still want to see him prosecuted for corruption when he leaves office. Good for you.

Okiefreak likes this.
  19. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

And tricky Dick signed onto the major environmental laws because he wanted to pre-empt Muskie and the Democrats. Good for both of them! Fact is, since Nixon's "Southern Strategy" the "Party of Lincoln" has been weak on civil rights, now more than ever.
    So would that have been Truman or FDR? Those were the days when organized labor, racial and religious minorities, and southern bigots shared the same bed. Lost and gone forever. When LBJ embraced Civil Rights, the bigots jumped off and got in bed with Nixon. When the peaceniks took over the DNC, labor bailed out. When Clinton put together a coalition based on his strategy of "triangulation", the progressives started having second thoughts.

20. Tyrsonswood

Yeah, that would basically be the whole Republican party.

"Lock Them Up, Lock Them Up....."

Tags: