Trump Acquittal Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Politicians' started by walkoflife, Feb 6, 2020.

1. walkoflife

walkoflife Some Assembly Required Super Moderator

We'll call this an offshoot of ZenKarma's IMPEACHED thread.

I honestly expected more Republicans than Romney to break from the GOP and vote to remove.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what you guys think!

DrRainbow likes this.
  2. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

I didnt. This turned out exactly the way I expected. This is why the democrats should never have impeached to begin with. The big takeaway here is that the actual jury needs to be regular people and not the Senate. You shouldn't be able to vote against hearing actual witness testimony. This is a joke and it has shaken my belief in my country's integrity.

Dax, erofant, Eric! and 2 others like this.
  3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

We now have a president that is above the law.... But I guess that is supposed to be okay, somehow.

Flagme15 and Okiefreak like this.
  4. walkoflife

What I learned the most from this is that BOTH SIDES have a serious "quid pro quo" going on with key world figures. Much deeper than I thought.

Our entire political spectrum is, for the lack of a more meaningful word, shambolic.

Piney likes this.
  5. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Dinner at the white house must be like a children's tea party, with uncle Donald wanting to sit on the most balloons. :yum::yum::yum:

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Good, if that belief was intact before it can be said it did have some use after all ;)

If enough american citizens acknowledge this they can unite on this matter and rally for serious change.

7. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

You have it completely backward.
    The Constitution mandates that the House and Senate manage an impeachment, not the people.

Unfortunately every Republican in the Senate except Romney are afraid of a petty tyrant, afraid of being called a nasty name, afraid of loosing their Senate seat. They're nothing but the scum of the country. Many, many, people have given their lives, their bodies, and or their livelihood to protect the Constitution against all sorts of evil within and without.

Those Republicans who voted to acquit Trump have now become part of the evil within.
    It was as I expected and those who voted for his removal were completely justified and correct in their motives and action.

I applaud them all.

8. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Yes I know that. What I was saying is that the senate can't be trusted so maybe we should do it

MeAgain likes this.
  9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I think they're mainly afraid of losing seats, power and Republican influence.

Flagme15 and scratcho like this.
  10. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

He's not FIRED!!!

Dax and WritersPanic like this.
  11. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Good. That means he's likely to be more lawless and overbearing in the future. Surely, at some point even Republicans will notice. If not, the consequences will be--biblical!

MeAgain and scratcho like this.
  12. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Me too. But there's the elections to consider. I think unfortunately that is the primary motivating factor for the majority; Romney of course being the exception.

Romney spoke his mind and he told the truth. I was really impressed. There was a newscast on this morning praising his verbiage and comparing it with a lackluster performance from some democrats!

MeAgain and walkoflife like this.
  13. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I think we'll find some things out with John Bolton.

14. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

----and the courts in New York.

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Honestly I think Trump just must not have a lot of support among Mormons and in Utah in general. I know this sounds really cynical, but I have serious doubts that Romney would have voted to remove if it meant a chance of losing his seat in the next election

I know in general Mormans tend to be fairly insular and focused more on their own power structure versus national politics. So i"m guessing there was probably a lot of support for removal in Utah, or at least a fair bit of a lack of support for Trump. Just a guess though

soulcompromise and walkoflife like this.
  16. srgreene

srgreene Members

I've regarded this from the getgo as political theater on the part of Dems. Not that there weren't legitimate reasons for concern- if Trump was holding up military aid to Ukraine for domestic political reasons (and it seems to me he did) that is bad. He certainly should have known better- possibly he did know better, but let his New York street fighter instincts get the better of his judgment. In that case, I do think a censure by both the House and Senate might have been in order.

I simply am not buying that the Dems were so concerned about abuse of power that they believed they had an obligation to posterity to remove POTUS from office. These are, after all, the same people who were notably unconcerned about Obama's abuse of power. Hey, what's wrong with coming up with phony Russian conspiracy theories and abusing FISA courts to investigate a political opponent? All Beltway brass knuckle politics, no doubt. Say, anybody in the IRS lose his or her job for holding up tax free status to conservative organizations? Nah, just the way Washington rolls.

But Trump's abuse of power is all separate from the question of whether or not he should be convicted of "high crimes and misdemeanors". While reasonable people might disagree, I think abuse of power, in and of itself, and in the absence of a crime, is not sufficient cause to remove POTUS. As Alan Dershowitz noted, Obama's various abuses of power didn't seem to bother Dems on whit. As the link below states:

"The problem, ultimately, with “words like ‘abuse of power’ and ‘obstruction of Congress'” is that they are “standard-less,” substituting subjective political and partisan criteria for clear principles."

Dershowitz: Trump Impeachment Invalid; Requires 'Criminal-like Conduct'

Dax, Bullzaye and walkoflife like this.
  17. walkoflife

Mormonism IS political in its own twisted little way. The only difference is that instead of having a maniacal twatwaffle to try and contain, they have dozens of lesser twatwaffles that teach our youth how to snub the world.

18. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The only thing I'm going to address is "phony Russian conspiracy theories." They are not theories. 17 US agencies have some sophisticated equipment and have proven that not only they did what these agencies say they did , in addition they were using, ARE using and will continue to use social media to spread lies to further divide the citizens of this country. There are many oligarchical countries around the world that would like nothing better than see this country fail.

nudistguyny, granite45 and MeAgain like this.
  19. I personally think he won't be re-elected. He's a dickhead. Does things that are extremely childish.

20. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

yeah but I'm a nationalist

Tags: