True Religion

Discussion in 'Protest' started by SDS, May 31, 2004.

1. loveflower

loveflower Senior Member

my goodness.. i could not read your posts because they would make me upset, jozak what makes it okay to say those things? you do realize that you are just stooping to their level by saying things like that, right? why don't you be the bigger one? i'm think God would rather you love his creations, regardless of what they say. Jesus forgave everyone who spit at him and shouted foul things at him and made him carry a heavy cross and whipped him. 'father forgive them for they know not what they do', right? please forgive the other posters, for they maybe know not what they do

2. bluegill

bluegill Member

i know what i'm doing........

3. moonshyne

moonshyne Approved by the FDA

quote from jozak
    The problem isn't so much the NUMBER of priests......it's the fact that the entire church as a society KNEW what was happening, but instead of dealing with this 4% of child molesting priests, they instead chose to IGNORE the problem and ship those dirty fucks all over the place.....i guess they have a high demand for fresh meat. Knowing that there was a problem but yet allowing it to continue is just as bad as doing it. Please explain how knowingly sending a child molestor to a different state/city is in any way serving God, Christ or the community?

4. Jozak

Jozak Member

I agree with you. It's terrible, and not serving Christ at all, but the entire church community did not know about it. Those asshole bishops are the only ones who knew, and fortunently somthing is being done about it.

5. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

"All have sinned and have fallen short of the glory of God."Romans 8:23

That means priests as well as you and I. ALL of our righteousness is as filthy rags save for the blood of Jesus. All of us have the same access to God through Jesus. Priests don't have any more of a special connection to God than us regular folk. Jesus said that anyone that caused harm to a child should have a millstone tied to their neck and be thrown into the sea. Thats an awful lot of millstones...... And some folks wonder why people like Luther,Huss,Calvin etc wanted to change things...

6. SDS

SDS Member

Once again...the discussion going on in this thread needs serious attention.

The whole idea is to make the world a better place. For everyone. That's not accomplished by indulgence in moral judgements or epithets. About anyone. No matter how much they may turn your stomach. The ultimate goal is to make everyone a little happier and a little healthier without harming anyone in the process. Help in working toward that end. Figure out how to make it reality. That's the way you'd want True Religion to be. That's the way you'd want the world to be from the standpoint of any endeavor.

7. Jozak

Jozak Member

Martin Luther and Calvin? HA! Don't make me laugh. Those punks didn't know what they were talking about. Luther pulls one verse out of the bible and decideds to create a religion based on it, and predestination is a load of crap championed by Calvin. Great change indeed.

Priests are priests, they most certainly have higher standards to live up to than us, since they are serving God and the Church. Only a small percentage have molested children (Whom i think should be put to death) and yes, I would hate to see them at their judgement. As Catholics, we beleive priests have to power to absolve our sins in the name of Christ, as the apostoles did when Christ commissioned them to do the same.

8. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

The Just shall live by faith. GOD brought that thought to Luthers mind. Luthers theories where based on the Bible as a whole not just on verse. BTW: The Catholic Church put a price on Luther's head. Now thats really Christ like. The Spanish Inquisition and the various other persecutions of non Catholics ie.. Hugenots, the Waldensians,Jews etc was really Christ-like as well. I don't agree with Calvin and his theories about predestination(and most of this other theories for that matter.) I know that the Catholic Church teaches that human beings can forgive sins but the Bible says that only God can forgive sins. Mark 2:1-11. Your're an intelligent person so I challenge you to read your Bible and think things out for yourself and not just blindly believe what an imperfect human being tell you to believe. God Bless...

9. Jozak

Jozak Member

Right, sit there, do nothing, and all you have to magically say is, "I have faith"--I am sure that is exactly what God wants.

The "Justification by faith" was pulled from a verse or two out of the bible, (I beleive, correct me if I am wrong.) Even if it was a whole chapter, who is Martin Luther to break and form his own church!? There are thousands of Protestant denominations, and all claim their interpretation of the bible is the correct one: No thanks.

Now, I am not saying Luther did not have some legitimate complaints: he did. The Church at that time had a lot of corruption that needed correction, and I guess you could argue in some ways Luther's split helped correct that. But seriously, the guy was obsessive: He went to confession numerous times a day, and wanted an easy way to be absolved of his sins and gurantee his way to heaven.

And it is very Christ like to split from the Church and form your own religion, and create a, "Sola Scriptura" beleif that is totally unbiblical--how ironic.

Do you even KNOW about the Inquistions? If you did, you probably wouldn't be trying to stick me with that arguement. This is a typical fundementalist attack, since they (not you personally) cannot refute Catholic teachings, they attack the history. As I have said, the Catholic Church is far from perfect, and has made mistakes in the past, a lot of them, but what institution that is 1500+ years old HAS NOT? Come on man.

The Spanish one started in 1478, a state institution used to identify Jews and Moors (Muslims) who pretended to convert to Christianity for purposes of political/social gains and secretly practiced their former religion. More importantly, its job was to weed out real converts and protect them from the inquistion. (OH MY GOD, YOU MEAN THE CHURCH ACTUALLY HAD SOME GOOD INTENTIONS?!)

The fact is no one really knows how many people died in the Inquistions. Some fundementalist writers have estimated numbers like 95 million people died under the Inquisition--it's bullshit. Not until more modern times did the population of those countries where the Inquisitions existed approach 95 million. Inquisitions did not exist in Northern Europe, Eastern Europe, Scandinavia, or England, being confined mainly to southern France, Italy, Spain, and a few parts of Germany. Studies indicate that at most there were only a few thousand capital sentences carried out for heresy in Spain, and these were over the course of several centuries. (Now, that is not good, obviously, but much differnet than 95 million.

Guess what, Protestants had their own inquistions. Calvin not only banished from Geneva those who did not share his views, he permitted and in some cases ordered others to be executed for "heresy" (Jacques Gouet, tortured and beheaded in 1547; and Michael Servetus, burned at the stake in 1553). In England and Ireland, Reformers engaged in their own ruthless inquisitions and executions. Conservative estimates indicate that thousands of English and Irish Catholics were put to death—many by being hanged, drawn, and quartered—for practicing the Catholic faith and refusing to become Protestant. An even greater number were forced to flee to the Continent for their safety.

Common ground should not be ignored. [applause]

HOLD ON, we don't beleive HUMANS forgive sins. We beleive in Apostolic succession, and the priest has the powe to absolve your sins in the name of the father, son, and holy spirit, just as Christ commissioned them to. I suggest you go back and read your bible. Peace.

Jozak