true impact of lst

Discussion in 'Cannabis Outdoors' started by budblower10, Jun 19, 2006.

1. budblower10

budblower10 Member

ok, i know that it helps, and i have heard it helps alot, but how much does LSTing a plant really increase the yeild by? has ne 1 ever had two plants of same type in the same conditions - one that was lsted and one that wasnt - if so how much was the difference in yeild? im just trying to get a understanding of the true impact of lst. any comments are appreciated, thanks

2. rangerdanger

rangerdanger Senior Member

As a general rule, LST is not done to increase yield.

It doesn't btw.
    LST is most commonly used indoors, where vertical height is limited. The plant is short and bushy.

More:
    LST means more branches in a given space; that means more but smaller buds than from an identical plant not grown with LST.

3. budblower10

budblower10 Member

then why does every1 tell me it increases yeild? i have never heard one person say that it doesnt increase yeild - so i dunno? r u saying there wrong (im not saying ur wrong im just wandering)....i have heard that since the plant grows vertical, the side branches which usually would only have small buds on them will start to compete with the main cola, therefore increasing yeild.

4. rangerdanger

More branches do not equal more yield.

Like I said: Take two identical plants, one LST'ed, one not.
    The LST plant will have more but smaller buds than the un-LST plant, but the same bud yield by weight.
    I don't know why "everybody" you know tells you it increases yield.
    You're the 1st person I've ever heard/seen claim that.
    How many of these "everyone's" have decades of outdoor growing experience? In fact, if you combined my years of experience with the experience of my long-time fellow growers (NONE of whom LST outside and inside only with height issue's) together have well over 100 years of growing experience.
    Believe who you wanna believe.

5. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

There will be an increased yield when growing indoors as more of the plant receives light. Without training the lower branches can be blocked from the light by the upper branches. The rather crude drawing shows this

6. rangerdanger

The top layer of a LST plant recieves more light. But the branches under neath that top layer recieve less light than a non-LST plant.
    If it was true that lst increased yield outdoors everyone would be doing it.
    No one is.
    To increase yield with any method that produces more branches, you need increased amt's of water, lights, nutes, and soil for increased root mass.

7. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

No it only works indoors.
    After training the plants about 2 or 3 weeks into flowering I remove the lower branches using them for cuttings. They still root whilst flowering but it takes an extra week or so for them to change back to veg growth. After these lower smaller branches have been removed all the growth energy goes to the plant tops. When flowering is over the cuttings are just reay to start.

8. rangerdanger

See? You've lost whatever the lower braches would have yielded in an un-LST plant.

9. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

Yes I still find this way utilises every available bit of growing space. Theres no room for anything below the canopy to grow. My last crop yielded 3 ounces per square foot, hoping for more next time as I will be using cuttings not seeds. I am convinced it maximises yields indoors giving you a lot more control.
    Hope this post dosn't sound like I am showing off, sorry i'm really stoned and waffling.