Troy

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by underwhelmed, May 15, 2004.

1. underwhelmed

underwhelmed Member

I hate any kind of war, i could never understand any point of it. Killing should not be made just to make a point. But when i saw TROY the movie...war was a glorious thing, and it was beautiful... :confused:

2. kier

kier I R Baboon

just because you die for something it doesn't mean it's right

there's a famous quote along those lines, very poiniant (sp? say it aloud!!)

war is never glorious..but legends are...poets and bards and the such weave there magic, and create myths and legends out of ordinary people...but know now war is more horrid than imaginable

3. VanAstral

VanAstral Member

Damn man, that's somewhat unnerving: a generation absorbing glorious, beautiful war...

4. thepixies

thepixies Member

i see what you mean, but i dont think its beautiful more staggering the sheer mass of people so full of feelings of hate and adrenaline.

5. neoteny

neoteny Member

From what I've heard of that movie, Homer must be rolling over in his grave right about now (if he ever actually existed). How could anyone butcher the Illiad like that? You cannot remove the gods from any classic epic. It's insane to do so.

6. attackmole

attackmole Member

Yup, that movie was a total disgrace to the illiad. I'm okay with violence in movies though.

7. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

There is a wonderful poem Dulce et Decorum Est by Wilfred Owen on this subject (sort of)
    In this particular poem described someone getting gassed (blood gurgling in their lungs and everything) and finished with words to the effect of if you'd seen this you wouldn't say war is glorious.

He wrote that during WWI, when are people going to learn?

With regards Troy it sounds like typical Hollywood 'fuck history lets make a cool story'. There is no mention of the Gods which are pretty much the entire freaking point as far as Ancient Greek stories go. Apparently they would confuse the American public (are you lot really that thick?)

TTFN

Sage

8. MaximusXXX

MaximusXXX Senior Member

You know for thousands of years war was used to keep the world population in check, than the damn liberals came and what you have now is a shit load of people slowly taking up too much space and since we can't just kill the weak links ( like the vikings ) we have to face our demise, damn liberals.

9. spooner

spooner is done.

I don't think life is quite as sacred as we seem to think.

10. MaximusXXX

MaximusXXX Senior Member

Agreed.

11. wave owls not flags

wave owls not flags is not interested

To obtain peace we must prepare for war. You can't have peace without war because people like power. :rolleyes:

12. canadian_boy

canadian_boy Brohn Zmith

Once again, you honour your 100 % conservative user title :D

I love power :eek:

13. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

That's really not being conservative... it's merely just an admittance and observation of the reality of the situation, more so than an opinion, though what I elaborated could be considered an opinion.

I mean, you can deny it all you want, but it's pretty much true if they make it into a South Park episode, you know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_A_Little_Bit_Country

Flashback to 4/03.

14. wave owls not flags

wave owls not flags is not interested

In my opinion, realism hardly differs from conservatism. :H

Cool. :D

15. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Well, that's the thing... that contradicts something you said before. :D It no balance. Where's the white without the black and the black without the white, man.... mathmatic expression really couldn't be without it.