Troy

Discussion in 'TV' started by Megara, May 14, 2004.

1. Megara

Megara Banned

anyone else seen it? I loved it and thought everyone did a great job in it. There were a bunch of inaccuracies, but nothing that derailed the plot and ruined it.

2. Main St Wizard

Main St Wizard Member

I'm about to step out to see it. That Brad Pitt looks dreamy.. I mean, what?

3. Loki

Loki Member

y
    that fucker, yeah i went with a girl, and everytime i was about to do something flirtatous he was on the screen and i could almost hear her ovulating...

4. Megara

Megara Banned

hahahha, sure it didnt help he was naked half the movie

5. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Yeah, I heard it has a lot of inaccuracies, which annoys me. And it's getting some pretty bad reviews. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Troy-1132530/

However, being the raging, hormonal chick that I am, I will be sure to see this movie just so I can drool over Eric Bana and Brad Pitt (Orlando Bloom does nothing for me).

But mostly for Eric Bana. That man is the epitome of sex. [​IMG]

6. Megara

Megara Banned

there were a lot of inaccuracies like Briseis doesnt kill Agamemnon(Clytemnestra does). Hector doesnt kill Menelaus(he goes back to sparta with helen.) And there is no real love story shown with briseis and achilles in the iliad.

With all that said, i still think it was great. A hell of a lot better than USA's piece of junk Helen of Troy

7. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

two stars. Violence was good n' gory. The war only lasted 2 weeks in the movie however, and there weren't any gods, who I feel were the best characters in the origional.
    The characters were rather 1 dimensional, and the plotline was boring. Add this to the fact that they didn't have the two best scenes from the book (achille's cross dressing and agamemnon sacraficing his daughter) and ofcourse they had to add a love interest.
    The saving grace, however, is that everyone died, which is how all movies/televison shows should end.

8. sonik

sonik Member

Gonna go see it monday.

Big fan of ancient history/mystery

:cool:

9. Megara

Megara Banned

uh, agamemnon doesnt sacrifice his daughter in the Iliad...and achilles cross dressing? what are you referencing?

10. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

Whenever Ulysses (I use the roman name for some reason) went to persuade Achilles to join him his mother had some qualms so she hid him as a women in some harem.

And someone had to sacrafice a daughter because someone else had pissed off posideion in the begining and they could not get set sail, if it wasn't agamemnon it was some other schmo.

11. Megara

Megara Banned

I dont know where you are getting any of this from... but it is not from Homers Iliad.

It was agamemnon who sacrificed his daughter iphigenia to artemis to get favorable winds. However, that comes in a reference from Aeschylus' Oresteia and not from homer.

The Iliad starts in the 9th year of the war..long after Iphigenia was sacrificed...and stops right after Priam gets back the body of hector and they feast. The trojan horse isnt mentioned until Vergil's Aeneid around 700 years later.

Not sure where you got the other one from.

12. sonik

sonik Member

This movie reminded me exactly of gladiator. very similar feel and pace etc.

THe battles were pretty cool but everything else was kinda meh

Brad Pitt really didnt fit that role to well either.

*shrug*

I give the action parts a 8/10
    I give the non action parts a 6/10

so it works out to a 7/10

Its definelty not a bad movie just, there is somthing off about it.

And there is a certain amount of cheese, mainly with Achilles.

[​IMG]

worth seeing

13. superNova

superNova Member

some of that's from edith wharton's mythology.

the saddest part to me was the total lack of aeneas until the very end which was really poorly written. and no cassandra, one of my favorite characters of all time.

i adore greek mythology, and i absolutely loved this movie, despite the huge number of flaws, made up love stories, glorification of people who weren't that magnificent in the iliad and villainization of others. it was just awesome to see some of the battles scenes played out like that.

i can't really understand why they changed things though. i mean, the story is amazing as it is. i guess they just tried to tie up all the loose ends and beginnings..

14. Pharoah

Pharoah Member

It was Ok if you didnt expect much from it. What bugged me is that none of the Gods or Goddesses where involved. Whichs makes the story I think. No Olive branch, and I think Achilles was suppose to die a bit earlier. But I must admit, Brad Pitt was Focking sexy. I can't deny it, I mean they show his butt in the movie!! And he is a good actor, but not really what I would think of as Achilles...

15. superNova

superNova Member

i actually think the cast was pretty right on it. i thought he did a nice job :) they tried to make him look too nice though, what with loving briseis and all that rot.

16. YankeesChic88

YankeesChic88 Member

I thought it was a great movie, really really enjoyed it. After reading "The Odyssey" at school though, and learning about some Greek/Trojan history, I too realized there were many inaccuracies. I loved all the action and the love story within all the blood and gore. Plus Orlando Bloom and Brad Pitt were gorgeous.

17. Megara

Megara Banned

Aeneas doesnt have a huge role in the iliad either. Though i wish they did something with cassandra.