Trouble writing music...

Discussion in 'Music' started by Alomiakoda, May 10, 2004.

1. Alomiakoda

Alomiakoda Boniface McSporran

I can *sometimes* come up with a melody OK...but then I get all paranoid about chords and stuff and everything having to be in the right key...and get stuck...

Anyone got any advice?

2. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

1. Don't worry about anything, chords, key, rythum.
    2. Play

You could try the call and response exercises. I'm not sure how easy they are to find and you might have to pay, but I found them REALLY useful for just getting a grasp of music generally.

Blessings

Sebbi

3. sassure

sassure Member

Let 'er rip the first time around...you want that first, raw, inspired sound when the thing is possessing you. Get it on tape, on disk.

Then tweak the thing here, then there. Add, subtract, turn this up, turn that other down. Don't kill the inspired parts, but tweakify the parts that don't quite cut the mustard.....

4. cotter builds

cotter builds Member

heres my suggestion....i got this from looking at the dead's music. play in keys with many sharps or flats.....then pound out your chords how you want on a piany....useing many more black keys (that are all harmonic) with each other, and some white ones you can get good sounding chords....makes if easier if you know the order of chords.

5. thisismike

thisismike Overlooked/Uninvited

If you think about it to much, you'll consipate your brain (sorry for that visual)..

I have tried so many times to sit down and write a song..They always hit me when I am not looking. Ususally in the shower.. Look for the whole song.. Not just a cool G,D,A progression.. Think of the vibe of what you want, even othe songs that sound like what you want.

A lot of ideas will come and go. I used to write about 5 songs a day. Now I can write one or two a month, and I ususally love what I end up with.

Also...

Write for your own ears... Not what you think others want to hear.

Rock on!

6. keng123

keng123 Member