Trouble returning to meat

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by otherness, Apr 11, 2013.

1. otherness

otherness Member

I was a vegetarian for 2 1/2 years and it always went well for me

the past couple weeks I started getting bad headaches, feeling like i was about to pass out, tired all the time.. and other symtoms of protein deficiency so i decided it was probably for the best that I start eating chicken

Now i've tried eating chicken twice (an upset stomach followed) and the whole thing was really intense. Every bite was a battle.

Even after that I don't find myself wanting meat at all. I don't think to order it at restaurants or cook it for myself when I'm at home.. its like im stuck in the no meat mindset and Im considering going back to vegetarianism

have any of you guys experienced this?
    It just feels so wrong.

2. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Did you see a doctor before deciding it was protein deficiency? You don't need meat for protein, besides.

3. otherness

otherness Member

No, but i have an appointment scheduled... I just really need to be proactive about buying non-meat protein products

Yeah that's what i'm going to do I can't eat meat it just feels so awful.

Do any of you ever have people get on you for being a vegetarian? That's one of the reasons I wanted to stop, I feel like an attention whore. Constantly people would say things like "erin eat meat you are too skinny" "lol erin want some of my steak" it would be a topic of conversation almost daily when i was in groups

4. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Drink more beer and fatten up.

5. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

Ummm... you are aware that those are also the symptoms of an iron deficiency, right?

I'm vegetarian because of allergies, so there's no hope of going back. I accidentally had soup a few weeks ago with chicken broth in it, and was sick for about a week. It would have taken longer, but a friend suggested I try Kefir (I'm NOT vegan!!!) and it really helped settle my tummy.

I've HEARD from a few people who were vegetarian & then went back to eating meat that it takes about 6-ish weeks of eating a few bites every day before your stomach really gets used to it again. Checking with a doc might not be a bad idea though, because seriously that sounds more like an iron problem than protein.

love,
    mom

6. otherness

otherness Member

I've decided to stay a vegetarian..
    I've been trying hard to eat well and take my vitamins and I am feeling better! Thanks

7. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Go make some lentil and greens soup.

8. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

Staying veggie is definitely an option as well! Glad you're feeling better.

And yep, I've gotta second lentil soup. Sits SO well on my tummy!

love,
    mom