Trippy convo about God

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by 121, Apr 4, 2007.

1. 121

121 Senior Member

It amuses me how religious people live in these man made fantasies. It scares me that over 90% of the human population is religious too.

Scientists have discovered so much about our universe and their findings have owned everything written by all of the 100+ gods manifested over the years. If someone wishes to indulge in these fantasies then they should do it in privacy.

There are people that spend their whole lives praying to these manifestations thinking that they will secure their place in the 'afterlife' when all that time they didn't realise that heaven is a place on Earth.... Priceless

2. whichaxe

whichaxe Member

Oh.. I think that at least in this country, it has a lot less to do with the afterlife than it does with family pride and good old fashioned guilt.

3. NightRose

NightRose idiosynractic rose

thats true.

was thinking..."god" is against marriage in families isnt he?
    if we all came from adam and eve would we al be siblings?
    in paintings of mary..shes wearing blue isnt she..in that time blue wasnt even a colour...it just doesnt add up.

I found things became easier when i descided religeon was just a B.S way for man to feel better about himself. :H

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

you DO realize though, that what we think of as rape today, wasn't, when that was written, in and of itself a crime. the idea of the prohibition against "adultry" was that you were only supposed to pick one person to rape, and then you had to look after them and take care of them and whatever offspring they had as a resault.

the meaning of the word rape, up ontil just a very few centuries ago, if that long, wasn't forced sex, though that in many cases may have been implied, but rather simply abduction, for any reason, and of any sort or manor.

this is just one of the MANY examples of how the whole context in which most of that was written, throws into a cocked hat what so many people mistakenly think it means today.

=^^=
    .../\...

5. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

Actually, I don't recall there being much in the Bible against incest. If I remember correctly, there may be a few stories that involve it. I may be wrong, though. Anyway, I figure if the Bible was rolling in the anti-incest section, I wouldn't have distant relatives who married each other. My entire family is so religious it makes me want to gouge my eyes out. Yes...it's messed up...and yes...I am from the south...blech.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i believe there is an oft quoted incident (in the christian "book") in which some priest or minor prophet sells his two bearly adolescent daughters into sexual slavery, and is actualy praised (granted in the context it takes place) for doing so!

=^^=
    .../\...

7. Krsna Bhakti

Krsna Bhakti d-_-b JAMMING

And searching for scientific explanations is different in, what ways?!

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

not all things NEED explanations. but there is a direct answer to that question. it's called honesty.

=^^=
    .../\...

9. Krsna Bhakti

But who is to say ones perception of reality is correct compared to anothers? We all see different things Themnax. And what is dishonest about loving god, in my case Krsna, and therefor loving all of creation? I realize this thread is being directed at the Christian god, but even still....it's all searching for the unkown, wether it is knowing god or knowing the universe. Whereas I accept what is, and love it :)

10. Allonym

Allonym cheesecake slut

you do realize that english and eveyr word we use was stolen from other lagnuages, and that meanings change over time. Change happens, suck it up.

11. Krsna Bhakti

How does one 'steal' a word? This kind of perception could be very damaging to the progression of humanity :&

12. Allonym

Allonym cheesecake slut

oh for fucks ssake stop arguing semantics you knwo what the fuck iw as getting to, english is an amalgamation of other languages

13. Krsna Bhakti

Well, Im sorry I seem to have upset you. I was simply joking, I hope that I have not damaged my reputation as seen though your eyes?

14. themnax

themnax Senior Member

this i am not in any way disagreeing with. rather it is specificly to my point of the fallacy of literalism.

which is in turn

the very reason the texts of all beliefs are written, and ment to be taken alligoricly rather then litteraly.

dicipline once having ment loyalty and chastity once having ment what we today mean by dicipline, including self dicipline and self restraint

are other prominent and signifigant examples

that do have a profound effect on the meanings and contexts of antiquarian writings.

=^^=
    .../\...

15. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

That was a usual practise in those days....a lot has changed in the past couple thousand years my friend. Some people fail to realize this and take the Bible too literaly. And why is it that Atheists are usualy the ones that can't have a simple conversation about God with someone that is spiritual without thinking they are only preaching? I'll listen to whatever anyone has to say, but when I open my mouth and express my thoughts, the only thing I'm doing is talking "fairytales".

16. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

What the hell is jesus called a carpenter for?I thought carpentry was working with wood.It doesn't look like an area that ever had trees growing ,to me.At least for building purposes.Maybe he was an electrician too.Maybe my ass is made of chocolate chip cookies.

17. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

nah. not really, i'm afraid i'm spiritually indifferent. it kinda makes me sad. but i love a lot of people who are. i feel for them. i've been accosted by mean-spirited religious bastards, too. the ones wanna pound you into submission and i just wanna kick them in the teeth. but i've know WAY TOO MANY sweet, wonderful, generous souls who just wanted to "save me" because they're SO SCARED. it's sad. i have a lot of compassion for them. i imagine they must be tossing and turning at night, chewing their nails off and feeling agonizing fear of losing even one person. then there's those who really do feel a new safety and joy. they can't figure out why it doesn't work for you, too. that has to be kinda frustrating. but there are just as many anti-religious pricks, feeling EXACTLY the same thing, just in the opposite direction. i'd say there's quite a few of them here. i can't stand hypocrisy, no matter which group has it. i hope other people call me on it, too, when i do it.

18. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

i was told in my philosophy of western religions class that the more likely correct translation of his father's job was handyman. since a carpenter would be an established businessman and he's supposed to be from such humble circumstances. his father would have been someone who got a job wherever he could.

ironically, i had to drop that class because of all the beligerant christians. it made me crazy. they'd never listen.

19. NightRose

NightRose idiosynractic rose

couldnt of said it batter myself :)

20. mariahsmajick

mariahsmajick Member

I'm not entirely sure what I believe, but I despise the word religion. More people have been persecuted and killed in the name of religion. Look at all the wars, all in the name of religion. I come from a very "religious" family And we do battle all the time. They don't understand how I feel the way I do. I believe in god but not the bible but I am also very close to many pagens and have practiced wiccan for along time. I admire their views and passion on life and the earth. But I have no particular firm beliefs my self. I feel that if your comfortable with your beliefs what ever they may be then all is good. Who am I or any one else for that matter to say what is true and what is not. :)