Trend with U.S. presidents.... ever realize this?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by interval_illusion, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Jozak

Jozak Member

I never said he hated them. I said he didn't give two fucks about them, more or less. His wife even owned slaves up until his presidency I beleive. And he was thinking of sending the blacks back to Africa (Liberia).

What are you talking about?! Have you taken U.S. History yet? (I am not being a smartass, I don't know how old/what grade you are in) Slaves in the south were freed and they left in droves to go up north, most of them. They wanted to fight for the union, oh but there was a catch: The Northerners made them fight in segregated divisions: real nice. The border states that fought with the union, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Missourri, Kentucky--all kept their slaves until after the war was over.

In fact, some slaves actually stayed with their masters and fought with them. As terrible as slavery was, some slaves were almost part of the family on various farms and plantations. The fact is the Emancipation proclomation was a total political move, if he really had cared about blacks and slaves, he would have freed ALL of them and would not have considered shipping them back to Africa.

2. Angel_Headed_Hipster

Angel_Headed_Hipster Senior Member

Well, obviously the only reason Lincoln freed the slaves is because he wanted to make the confederacy the bad guys. He knew they wouldn't give up their slaves. I personally believe he just freed the slaves to further his political career and to win the war, he didn't give a shit about those people, racism was a commonly accepted thing to be, it would be the same as being christian or catholic now...

Peace and Love,
    Dan

3. Maverick

Maverick Banned

Meh, you're probably right, the only war I know too much about is WW2.
    My dad tried to teach me all about the civil war, didn't work out too well, eh?