Treating Insomnia/sleep market

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by newbie-one, Dec 2, 2020.

1. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

These links have some info on sleep hygiene. I haven't tried out all of the methods, but they sound reasonable.

CDC - Sleep Hygiene Tips - Sleep and Sleep Disorders
    Healthy Sleep Habits and Good Sleep Hygiene

Some habits that can improve your sleep health (info from those links):

Quick Sleep Tips

Keep a consistent sleep schedule. Get up at the same time every day, even on weekends or during vacations.
    Set a bedtime that is early enough for you to get at least 7 hours of sleep.
    Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy.
    If you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed.
    Establish a relaxing bedtime routine.
    Use your bed only for sleep and sex.
    Make your bedroom quiet and relaxing. Keep the room at a comfortable, cool temperature.
    Limit exposure to bright light in the evenings.
    Turn off electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
    Don’t eat a large meal before bedtime. If you are hungry at night, eat a light, healthy snack.
    Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet.
    Avoid consuming caffeine in the late afternoon or evening.
    Avoid consuming alcohol before bedtime.
    Reduce your fluid intake before bedtime.

More info, including info about keeping a sleep diary, is available via the links above.

Helpful things not in the links above:

The book Curing Insomnia Naturally with Chinese Medicine, Blue Poppy Press, may be worth checking out. I haven't read this particular title, but the "Curing" series and Blue Poppy books are generally very good. May only be available as an ebook, but you might also be able to get hard copy via an interlibrary loan.

Alternative Treatments for Physical and Mental Illness

Self-Treatment Methods for Physical and Mental Health

Taking off your shoes a couple hours before bedtime (as long as you are wearing socks that are warm enough).

Soaking your feet in warm water and Epsom salts an hour before bedtime

Acupressure Self-Massage For Treating Depression And Insomnia

Meditating

Antidepressants. Some antidepressants can make insomnia worse though, so it's important to ask your prescriber specifically for a medication that will help with insomnia. Trazadone and mirtazapine are the two most commonly prescribed for treating insomnia. It's common for people to report feeling like a zombie while on these drugs, but it may beat not being able to sleep.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    randomdude1983 and mysticblu21 like this.
  2. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Good advice.
    I would also add the following:
    1. Eat a good serve of vegetables each day.
    2. Drink tea instead of coffee later in the afternoon.
    3. If it is a time of day when you would not drink coffee, then don't consume coconut oil. It can give too much energy last thing at night.

mysticblu21 and newbie-one like this.
  3. asianbbc_KL

asianbbc_KL Members

get some exercise, smoke some weed

Toker and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

Streaching in bed does wonders for me.

Leg lifts for hamstrings
    Knee(s) to chest
    Foot and toe pointing
    Arm cross-overs
    Back twists
    Head tilts (front, back, side)
    Hand tilts (forearms)

[​IMG]

mysticblu21 and newbie-one like this.
  5. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Antidepressants seem to make almost everything worse in the long run.

I am very confused about sleep, particularly about my dreams. Some are in places that I know, including family or friends. But many of them have a recurring theme and seem to be in a completely unknown place. Simply by noticing detail in the architecture and fine points such as the brickwork bonding, these places are far to complex to be instantly generated in my brain. Where did the data come from? it always looks quite ancient, with a noticeable absence of cars and other forms of transport. I also seem to feel confused and lost in the environment.
    For some years, I have wondered whether stored information in our brain with as yet unknown origin could at some point produce a logical explanation for the theories of reincarnation and hauntings.
    Back in the 1970s, I watched an amazing documentary from ABC in Australia. It was withdrawn soon afterwards when it was revealed that a woman who was suffering terrible trauma during her regression during a known incident on the other side of the world, died within hours of coming out of her trance. She had no possible ancestral connections to the incident. All attempts to trace the program have hit a brick wall and ABC Australia avoided me like the plague.

Bilby likes this.
  6. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

A lot of people report that an antidepressant may stop working after a while, or that higher and higher doses are needed to get results. It's not my favorite treatment method, but it's one of them.

7. Bilby

Also, having a bath/shower can be good. Eating a bowl of porridge (oats) is good before bed. Make it before shower/bath and it will be just the right temperature. I avoid dairy because of Sleep Apnea but some people find consuming dairy before bed to be effective. Maybe a couple scoops of ice cream.
    Eating the wrong fats and oils does not help. Choose: butter, lard, dripping, ghee, olive oil, avocado oil.

8. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

People with DSPD probably have a circadian period significantly longer than 24 hours.[2] Depending on the severity, the symptoms can be managed to a greater or lesser degree, but no cure is known, and research suggests a genetic origin for the disorder.[3]

Delayed sleep phase disorder
    Delayed sleep phase disorder - Wikipedia

The most important line in the entire article

"People with DSPD may improve their quality of life by choosing careers that allow late sleeping times, rather than forcing themselves to follow a conventional 9-to-5 work schedule."

I always blamed "insomnia" for my problem,

Delayed sleep phase disorder its totally different.
    The article was better a few months ago "wiki" always changing.

Long-term success rates of treatment have seldom been evaluated. However, experienced clinicians acknowledge that DSPD is extremely difficult to treat. One study of 61 DSPD patients, with average sleep onset at about 3:00 am and average waking time of about 11:30 am, was followed with questionnaires to the subjects after a year.

That's it. I don't fight it anymore. I think I pasted enough that anyone with same problem will investigate further.

Wish I knew sooner.

9. Bilby

Going camping , not glamping for a few days can reset your circadian rhythms.

TheGreatShoeScam likes this.
  10. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

11. Bilby

If the ambient temperature is too cold ,slipping on some socks makes a huge difference. Same wearing a beany.

12. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Ive read that before about camping being the best treatment. No lamps lol

Or camp at home set a time you turn all the bright lights off. Or even buy timers.

Never used any of that smart home stuff but I would imagine you could program a "sunset" too.

My DPSD is terrible, again the best move for me was just never taking early jobs or commitments, I could not win.

13. Bilby

There is a percentage of people who if they eat pig, their body metabolizes too fast. This is not good for getting to sleep. Some people are fine eating pig.

14. loveslovely

loveslovely Members

i have insomnia sometimes anxiety comes along with that now

15. Tman58

Tman58 Senior Member

My problem is waking during the night and not going back to sleep. I listen to guided meditation recordings. They really help.

16. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

[​IMG]
    Is there a bedtime bull and a bedtime bear?​

Totally Yoda likes this.
  17. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

Hey that's my graph hahaha. Anyways. That sleep pattern is rare for me. These have been from the last week up until today. I get at most 6 hours a night. Minimum 4 hours. If I sleep longer then 6 hours. Then something is up. When I was recently sick. I slept for 10 to 14 hours. Some days I feel exhausted and some days I feel fine. It really depends. I only had my fitbit for a week. So I'm definitely interested in a 30 day graph. My resting heart rate is 52 beats per minute. Can go as low as 42 beats per minute. Which is normal for a very active person like me. I run 5 days a week doing 6 to 8 miles a day with 2 day rest.
    Screenshot_20210817-072001_Fitbit.jpg Screenshot_20210818-065648_Fitbit.jpg Screenshot_20210819-063408_Fitbit.jpg Screenshot_20210820-061742_Fitbit.jpg Screenshot_20210821-070005_Fitbit.jpg

Candy Gal and DrRainbow like this.
  18. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

19. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

I have one of those fitbit things. I spent so much time obsessing over how much sleep I was getting that I was actually getting LESS sleep.

I ditched it except for walking and exercise, and now sleep better!

I know because I wake up refreshed.

Hope you find relief, sleep in very important!

Totally Yoda and DrRainbow like this.
  20. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

Oh I'm not obsessed with it. I only use it so I can track what heart beat range I'm in when running so I don't go to fast and burn myself out. And stress also. I use it as a tool. Definitely not something to rely on for medical purposes.

~Zen~ and DrRainbow like this.