Travel advice needed

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Ladyinred, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Ladyinred

Ladyinred Member

hi everyone.
    I am planning on travelling around weston europe over July and Augest this year i would like some advice on what to do, where to go, how to do it, basicly everything.
    thanks for all your help.

2. Claire

Claire Senior Member

barcelona rocks too (is that western?)

3. Koolaid

Koolaid Member

Amsterdam is good, Rhodes is good,...If you are on a limited budget I would miss out Scandanavia as places like Copenhagen are very expensive....

Hope you have fun..

4. roly

roly Senior Member

A place called Leucate in france is beautiful. Very quiet and peaceful but nice. It has a beach.

Roly.xxx

5. stardust

stardust Banned

go to your local library (or bookshop if you have a bit of spare cash) and get any of the lonely planet guides. i've always found them really helpful, though they always lead you to all the backpacker type places, which is great if you want to meet like minded people but not so good for getting a feel of the real culture of the country you're going to.

you can get rail passes for the whole of europe but shop around online coz there are lots of deals. you can either get a pass that is valid for a certain ammount of time or one for a certain amount of journies. if you know your exact route and the number of trips you would like to make then a pass that allows a specific number of journies might be better value, but for total freedom, though costing more, a two month pass might be a good idea. like i said - shop around.

it might be an idea to make a vague journey plan just so you dont end up missing everything coz you're wandering aimlessly the whole time. for example....do you just want to see the cities or get out into the countryside and see the little places? are you on a tight or not so tight budget? are there people who you want to meet up with along the way?

i would probably say the key thing is to have a flexible plan. theres no point in booking places in advance coz that takes away the option of spontaneous adventures, which is often the best part of travelling.

good luck and i hope you have a great trip.

peace and love
    stardust
    xxx

6. Ladyinred

Ladyinred Member

Thanks for the advice, i was thinkin about going to holland first and then over 2 months spend a week in different country on my way to spain via italy, france, germany before getting from spain to ireland and finishing off there.
    the problem is there will be about 8 of us and we want to camp out and so dont know any places that would be suatable. any ideas.
    sean xxx

7. Claire

Claire Senior Member

I can only really back up what Stardust has said... you need to get yourself the Lonely Planet guide to Europe.

My friend is travelling around Europe at the moment and that's what he is using:)

8. stardust

stardust Banned

i dont know the names of any specific guides but i'm sure there are many which list all the campsites in various countries. if there was just a few of you i'd recommend camping wild but i dont know that 8 of you would get away with it unless you were willing to walk to somewhere very well hidden each night!

sounds like a fantastic trip you've got coming up though.

hope you have a great time

peace and love
    stardust
    xxx