Trash left behind after the gathering

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by John13np, Mar 8, 2011.

1. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

it was a dying old beatnik poet who sat me down at his
    kitchen table . i guess he had in mind i was his
    last student . he say 'never say but' . so what the
    hell i took it to heart and for the next twenty years
    i did not write nor say that word .

i say to you children : beware the negative .

2. indydude

indydude Senior Member

Did you find any kind ground scores?

3. TradinBill

TradinBill Member

Since I'm no longer the Asshole DOC gaurd I was in the 80's, nor the Kind loving Brother who gave freely for 30+ years...I speak.

I scouted ALL Ocala's for YEARS on my own (I'm Local). I am on site the 1st day and ALWAYS find a Pickup load of trash (In the first 100-300 yards) FROM Forest User's that has been left to rot by USFS employee's. This year it was half a bumper from a 1956 Willy's jeep that wasnt just left by a Rainbow. I would love to walk with you on most ANY part of the Ocala forest and show you trash that has been left for YEARS. But Bring some help to carry it out.

Clean-up is ALWAYS looked forward to in Ocala as it is known for being the Land of:
    END-OF-GATHERING-KICKDOWNS.

You really dont want me to walk the forest posting PIC's of trash thats 5-10yrs old if not older.

Hell, I'm still finding Pitch-Pots left from the 60-70's turpentine days, So I'll ask for the record, is that 50 year old trash being ignored by USFS for a reason?

Hugs to all still following those pretty colors.

Tradin' Bill a.k.a. Fla_Hippy

"How quickly one forgets that I was at your first Gathering"

4. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Someday I want to go to a Gathering. Who knows when or where.

Understand that it's not all USFS that do that. Sometimes it's the few that are too lazy (seen a few of those); or it could be their supervisor; or even that super's super. It could even be an order from the LEO section giving a false foundation of complaints (though false) against Rainbow.

It's the Antiquities Act of 1906 and it is codified at 16 U.S.C. § 431 to § 433. I agree- litter is still litter. Age should not matter. Items of historical importance, leave them alone. Like an old shack you find in the woods. Who knows it's age. Or a rusted out compressor at a mine site. Don't like it there? Get pics and send a complaint to the district ranger.

Maybe someday I'll "earn my colors"!

5. John13np

John13np Member

I would take pics and send them to the District Ranger, or the Rec Staff Manager. Those would be the people to contact with the photos.

I picked up dozens of truckloads of trash off the (OHV) trails when I worked there, and it was sad to see all of it out there in the first place. I know a lot of locals dump their trash in the Forest, which is wrong, but they aren't part of the rainbow family.

The big problem I have is that rainbows are leaving trash behind. They should know better than the locals. There is NO excuse for any member of the rainbow family that leaves trash on the Forest floor. I feel that there should be a mass cleanup (not 2 or 3 people) at the end of every gathering and pick up every piece of trash and micro trash that was left.

Too much to ask? It shouldn't be.

6. TradinBill

TradinBill Member

We'd love to have ya!!!

Yes, In all fairness to the Ocala Forestry folks that we all get along with so well... They really dont have a Waste Management crew and depend on volunteers for lots. I saw some town folk walking the Florida trail once picking up trash. I told them there was ALOT just a few feet into the brush and they replied, "But there's Tick's in that brush!"....go figure.

Yes, we know all people in Florida leave $500+ Indian Arrowheads and all that spanish gold laying right where we find it. But wait..... Litter is Litter. <silly grin i couldnt resist>

With those 4 R's... You already have!

<BR>
    <BR>

Hug's

7. TradinBill

TradinBill Member

I give ya a little trash left behind at the syracuse Island - Duck Pond sites that year by NEW Kids NEW KIDS (Like this year is a GOOD example) did alot of trashing at Both.

You should see PICs of this years NEW KIDS trash left behind at forkmans FB site.

THESE ARE - NEW KIDS and not rainbows.

I believe your statement is incorrect that RAINBOWS are not cleaning up. Because, there IS a mass clean-up after EACH gathering. Come for clean-up for a few gatherings before you cut off the Garbagemans head after 1 bad dream.

Peace

8. John13np

John13np Member

That one bad dream is not the only 'bad dream'. That's the only one I saw, but I've heard stories from other employees about past gatherings.

In fact, they told me that before I saw the trash, but I defended the Rainbows saying that there's no way they would leave trash behind, let alone truck loads. I was wrong.

By no means did I mean that ALL rainbows leave trash, because I know as a fact that that's not the case. Most don't, and never will.

However, when these NEW KIDS come around, they shouldn't leave trash either. I am not against the Rainbow family, if anything, I support them (read my previous comments). I would like for the USFS and the rainbow family to get along, which I believe is totally possible, especially with the new era of USFS employees coming along.

Just no more truck loads of trash, please. Otherwise the FS can and will f*%k with the rainbows until they won't want to come around national Forest anymore.

Remember, the Forest are yours! Don't let anyone take that from you because you didn't want to pick up that nasty band-aid.

9. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

i've just read an old news article

2008 ... Rainbows Ejected From Ocala National Forest

Dirty Mama say she is here to protect the forest . The Forest Service contends the Duck Pond area is too sensitive ecologically .

john13 , was this the site you worked at ? Duck Pond , just north of Salt Springs ? the news article explained that the camp had been well-established with hundreds already there . on eviction day the action was swift : pack up and go now , rainbow . now !

10. Logan 5

I don't know about Florida as I'm in Colorado.

The guys in the USFS I have worked with for the past few years are great. The BLM, let's just say the BLM earned their acronym: Bad Land Management. I think I still have, somewhere, letter from the BLM about me picking up litter without their consent. The threats were many. They were gonna ticket me, then they were gonna confiscate my truck and the trailers I used to haul out the garbage, and then finally they were gonna arrest me. HA! For what? Lazy asses.... They were saving it for the political suck-up events. Which always turned into major flops (no surprise)....

Well, the arrowheads are cultural, so you really should leave those be. But the Spanish NEVER left any gold there, and what you are finding really is depleated uranium & lead alloyed that is gold plated. You really should collect those "to protect the environment", my friend! Better you than some poor innocent 9 year old kid that would stick that dangerous fake coin in his pocket, thus making him impotent for life..... (giggle giggle!)

Thank you bro! I appreciate that a lot!

Hugs to ya in return! :sunny:

11. stateofdlscord

stateofdlscord Guest

there where not enough people who stayed behind in ratio to how many people completely ditched their camps with all their shit or didnt naturalize the area...the site was pretty big and was altered right before the gathering actually started so there was also that whole trail that had been altered...we where basically given 24 hours to get the fuck out of that area...lots of personal fires...i mean we can sit and ego trip on real and fake hippies or observe where we've failed and actually try to improve

12. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

cleaning up means having to buy bin bags... fuck the system!!!!!!! capitalism will not get the better of me!!!!!!!!!!!

13. willedwill

willedwill Member

But I need the System. It's the only women I can go on loving with PRIDE. When she's not around that way I find the parade and sing in my heart: "Death to Stephen Harper."

14. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

As a member of the Salmon Creek Family and later Good Earth Commune, two of the original founding families of Rainbow I feel I have a say in this discussion.
    Having read the thread thus far it seems to me that where the FS went wrong was in evicting everyone and not making it clear that the cleanup crew was welcome to stay and clean up.
    New Kids have always been a problem. The Salmon Creek Family camped on Salmon Creek in Big Sur for years until a bunch of college jocks came along and threw a beer bust and almost burned the place down causing the eviction of all.

15. hjaystone

hjaystone Member

http://www.buffalostate.edu/peopleoftherainbow/documents/cleanup_letter.pdf listen to *your* elders. (the link is a scan from last year's FS Forest Supervisor.)

what subculture would create the term "pocket trash" if they didn't pick it up regularly? ... or have a complete phase of their event called "clean-up", which often lasts as long as the event proper.

how about taking a different *single* event to extrapolate from onto everyone else,... sheesh.

ask your FS mentors if you can hit the big show sometime,.. you seem to work well for them, maybe you can work the PR department.

peace,
    q

16. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

The real evidence rather than the hearsay propaganda of your indoctranators. You seem to have ignored Tikoo's suggestion that you refer to the naturalist's reports and just quote a lot of hearsay. If you were not there and are only going by what someone told you that's hearsay.

I repeat it was the FS's bad to have run out the cleanup crew.

17. indydude

indydude Senior Member

Those ain't Rainbows, more like local yokels.

18. Logan 5

Nothing makes me madder than when I'm out, minding my own business, picking up litter and cleaning Mother Earth, when campers and hikers will bring me THEIR trash, claiming they're "trying to help" me. Wanna help? If you can pack it in you can pack it out. I'm not there to be anyone's personal fucking garbage disposal. I don't get paid cash for it. Why should I pack out the crap they bring in? What do I get out of it? I pick up what people illegal dump. And AFAIC those that are caught littering should be sentenced to jail time, and while they may sleep at night in the jail, from sunrise to sunset they should be out picking up litter- at the local dump. By hand.
    Or even better yet- have them doing the pick up in a more public place with a placard telling people they were caught littering.

I found a duck once. Dead. No biggie. Animals and humans, we all live and we all die. This one had strangle on a 6-ring soda can holder. Man, to me that's murder. If ya gotta hunt, fine. But what was the worth of that duck's death? Only worth I can see is it burned into my soul to pick up litter whenever I can.

19. indydude

indydude Senior Member

I despise litterers. What are they thinking when they throw out their empty fast food bags or empty ashtray in a parking lot. ARRGGG ! THats one of the main rules in my car. Noone litters. ITs embarrassing and nasty.
    How do you do that?
    \

20. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

This is a very poor "comeback".

Do you mean to say it should be hidden? They should pack it out if they pack it in, and the forest service not liking that shit is NOT shameful.