Trappist Glasses

Discussion in 'Beverages' started by Pressed_Rat, May 18, 2004.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I love the way Belgian Trappist Ales look poured into a Trappist glass. There is such this middle-ages, holy grail sort of look to it.

In case you don't know, Trappist glasses are in reference to Trappist monks, who make Trappist ales and Trappist cheeses.

Orval
    [​IMG]

Westmalle (dubble)
    [​IMG]

La Trappe
    [​IMG]

St. Bernardus Abt 12
    [​IMG]

2. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

they are very nice indeed. :) i would love to have one.

3. dirtybongwater

dirtybongwater Member

Speaking of Trappists, lately my drink of choice has been the Westvleteren trappist. I would reccomend it, but you probably know all about it :)

4. Pressed_Rat

Westvletern Abt. 12 is probably the best Trappist ale in the world. It's one of the best beers in the world, period. I get it sometimes when I go out. It's like $8.50 for a single 12 oz. bottle, though. It makes for a great treat on occasion, but it's definitely nothing I can afford regularly - that goes for all the Trappists.

5. dirtybongwater

dirtybongwater Member

I know what you mean! Most trappists are 6.50 and up. I'm fortunate enough to be on very good terms with the owner of the bar i frequent most. It usually leads to me only being charge for half of what i drink.

6. Beautiful_Day

Beautiful_Day Member

These would be my 2 Trappist glasses...[​IMG]

7. dirtybongwater

dirtybongwater Member

You can keep the Leffe, but i'll take the chimay :)

8. thehipsterdufus

thehipsterdufus Member

I cannot drink anything but Trappist ales from my Trappist glasses. If I pour something else, like a Warsteiner or something, I feel like I'm doing a disservice to the glass.

have I gone too far?? lol

9. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Most European beers have their own special glasses, except the common beers like Heineken. They just have the plain and boring glasses.
    And most of them have more than just one and bring out a new one every now and then, for example look at those Grimbergen glasses I have; one is 0.25 litre and the other 0.33:

10. Pressed_Rat

Yup! That is particularly true for Belgium. Belgian pubs have glasses for every different style and brand of beer. While many trappist glasses look slightly different from each other, depending on the brand, they're still trappist glasses. The most common is probably the Chimay trappist glass.

11. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Personally, I prefer the Hoegaarden glass:
    [​IMG]

Ofcourse it comes with a big jar too:
    [​IMG]

12. Pressed_Rat

Yeah, those glasses are referred to as tumblers (the smaller ones, not the pitcher) - the Hoegaarden glass being the definitive glass of its style.

I can't see how you think those look cooler than trappists, though. But to each their own. :)

13. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Trappist glasses are way more common, you see them everywhere even for non-trappist beers, but the Hoegaarden glass is unique.
    Also it is more pleasurable to drink out of a Hoegaarden glass.