Transformers

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi Movies' started by Ehoney29, Jun 29, 2007.

1. tfb9999

tfb9999 Member

You are correct; they could have developed the film further plot-wise. I myself felt the story was a little flaky but like I said, my initial intention is to see the robots really. When I walked into the theater I wasn't really expecting much, especially since this was the first-ever live action Transformers movie. Perhaps they focused a little too much on the action scenes and the CG to think about the story. But heck, people enjoyed the movie, and that = profit, which is what many mainstream filmmakers are after these days. In fact, the timing of the production of a Transformers movie is perfect for profit; the fans, who used to be kids, all have stable jobs now and can all afford to spend money to watch a movie about something they loved when they were younger. It is kind of sad that they're exploiting us like this, but this is what sells nowadays, and I have no qualms with watching superbly-rendered transforming CG robots ruining each other's shit.

I do agree that there's too many scenes involving humans in that movie, and there was virtually no character development for the robots themselves. I didn't like how they established the fact that Megatron and Starscream do not get along well with one simple line from Megatron. I didn't even like Megatron that much. They made him a little too dark. I was actually hoping that the two would be yelling at each other and bonking each other's heads, but they're too serious : (

But I'll give Mr. Bay another chance. Maybe he's gonna develop it further in the next few movies. This is the first movie after all; maybe it's simply meant to be an 'establishing shot' so to speak. I have a feeling those Sector 7 guys will be working with the Decepticons.

Whew..that's enough rambling from me.

What happened to Barricade?

2. Jim

Jim Senior Member

I don't think you can please everybody... If it were made darker and more culturally significant, you've had a large contingent of fans saying it was too serious...

It actually worked quite well with me... I was able to drop my pretensions for that 2 and a half hours and just enjoy it for what it was. Which was a ridiculous, non-plot, filled with cheesy acting and script and amazingly rendered CGI robots transforming into all sorts of automobiles and blowing up stuff.

I normally wouldn't succumb to that sort of mindless movie but having grown up watching Transformers, I almost regressed to being a boy again... (You should've seen the grin on my face when Optimus Prime first appeared lol)

Optimus Prime saying that the Transformers were "more than meets the eye" at the end was so cheesy, it was perfect, too!

3. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

I watched this film on Saturday and I felt that I'd died a little inside.
    It was plugging EBAY every 15 minutes and basically a film made to show us how wonderful the US Airforce is. Fucking pathetic film.

I didn't pay good money to watch humans for 96% of the time. They camped-up Megatron, which was fucking lame.

The only good thing about it was the CGI was amazing. Apart from that...

A HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT.

4. fountains of nay

EXACTLY!

It was totally done in the wrong way. Should have been from the Transformers perspective. I paid money to go and see Transformers for 2 hours and 20 minutes, not bloody humans trying to get laid. Ridiculous!

And, what was with the Pirates of the Caribbean/LOTR soundtrack? Damn awful, should have totally kept the 80s theme.

5. TriCo

TriCo Member

I find the movie very entertaining... :)

6. fountains of nay

Please elaborate...

In what way do you find the film entertaining?

7. mondoglove

mondoglove Member

the sad thing here is that people's expectations were so low-brow that the movie actually delivered what they wanted.
    some seem to have forgotten that the cartoon actually featured characters and interpersonal dynamics between them. the rest was robots fighting.
    i was also sickened by the masturbatory salute to american military power. seems that michael bay has a fetish for the military industrial complex, as well as bad editing and deafening sound throughout his pictures.

8. Jim

Jim Senior Member

I'd be interested in what certain people's expectations actually were about seeing a Hollywood-type blockbuster about alien robots coming to earth and fighting over a big cube...?

I mean, I loved the cartoon as a kid.. but for the same reasons that kids will probably love this film. When I was 8, I didn't care about character interaction or dynamics... I didn't even know what it was. It was big robots changing into cars and fighting. It was pure fantasy.

I guess my point is that I knew what to expect with this film... I knew America would be the centre of the universe, and their military would probably be the almighty saviours of the planet and that there'd be ultra-cheesy dialogue and cringe-worthy acting... It was a given to be honest.

Making the film darker, or more edgy, or even more relevent would have ostracised half of the market for the film too, I think. I believe the film-makers would've liked to really go to town and make it like a cross between blade runner/robocop/terminator in atmosphere... but then, they probably have a certain responsibility not to make it too adult, as it is based on a toy franchise, who were also one of the main financiers of the film I would imagine...

When I got home I actually revisited the original series of the cartoon to make a direct comparison... To be honest, the cartoon wasn't some work of animation genius either. I think people tend to think of it with the rose-tinted glasses of childhood on (like I do).

So, in short... Yes, I ultimately lowered my 'standards bar' a lot for this film, but I'm not guilty about that in the slightest. I adapt in ways which I see fit.

9. smitty5ca

smitty5ca Member

Worst movie of 2007... I hate Michael Bay, he is such a shitty director. If I made Transformers, I would have made it badass. And about the robots! Not some gay ass kid trying to get laid.

10. foreverseeking

foreverseeking Member

The movie and concept was brilliant. I absolutely hated the "shaking camera" action scenes though. :(

11. JaysonM

JaysonM Member

I'm not looking for them! I saw it and get disappointed! help@starkaz.com

12. M4N14C42O

M4N14C42O Cannabis Connoisseur

Just saw it. I thought it was awesome!! Good flick in my book.

13. TriCo

TriCo Member

The CGI effects were brilliant.. the casting of the movie is good too.. Meagan Fox is really hot here.. that's why.. :)

14. thered

thered Member

How about a movie with kick-ass action, melt-in-your-mouth delicious graphics AND decent characters and plot? On the other hand I guess moving into that kind of completely original territory would be tough...

For everyone who didn't care about that stuff and loved it just for it's action scenes, you should all be disappointed, too. What you paid for was a lot of robot awsomeness, but what you got was some robot awesomeness and a lot of the movie equivalent of the shit you pick off the bottom of your shoe after there's been gum there all day accumulating any kind of horrible things you can imagine. Did you have thumb wars with your neighbor when there wasn't fighting going on? Did you write poetry in the dark? Was that what you went to the theater to do? Whenever the transformers were fighting I tried to focus on their sweet graphics and look forward to the next fight, but I kept being put off by how retarded they were.

15. nashy61

nashy61 Member

i wanna see this movie in the IMAX theater! that would be awesome!

16. j_red

j_red Member

I thought the movie was okay, I thought it was kind of stupid how the transformers sounded and the way the talked, however, the action scenes were good and it had pretty good acting. Overall I thought it was just okay, doesn't deserve any special award or anything.

17. Shale

Shale ~

I'm going to tack this little piece of info onto this old thread from the first Transformers as it impacts on the next in the series.

Like TriCo, I think Megan Fox was really hot in the first flick and still holding up in the second, but seems she had a conflict with the director or something and won't be in the third installment.

This from JustJared at Buzznet.com is about her replacement:

THU, 27 MAY 2010 AT 4:30 PM

Rosie Huntington-Whiteley Confirmed For Transformers 3!

Victoria’s Secret model Rosie Huntington-Whiteley will star as Shia LaBeouf’s love interest in the upcoming Transformers 3, multiple sources EXCLUSIVELY confirm to JustJared.com.

How did Rosie get to replace Megan Fox?

Director Michael Bay is friends with Ed Razek, Chief Marketing Officer for Limited Brands, Victoria’s Secret parent. Sources reveal VS has even used Michael’s house to film commercials.

In fact, this isn’t the first time Michael and Rosie have worked together. Just last year, Ed tapped Michael to direct an action-packed Victoria’s Secret commercial starring British beauty Rosie and other VS angels.

You can watch the Bay-directed VS commercial below. Pictured here are Michael and Rosie from a behind-the-scenes shot from that commercial shoot!

“Rosie started training for the Transformers role already,” the source adds. “She’s working hard.”

I hope her training includes bulking up, 'cause the girl needs to eat something!

[​IMG]

Remember those scenes where Megan Fox was running in Transformers 2, jiggling and bouncing in that knit shirt? Looks like those days are over guys.

I'll miss the Fox
    [​IMG]

18. RichardBrittain

RichardBrittain Member

Man, I'm so looking forward to the next Transformers. [​IMG]

19. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

saw both of those movies a couple of a weeks back... 100% pure bullshit!:puke:

20. Shale

Shale ~

In 2007 I posted this on another forum board (now gone) so for reference to all the Transformer movies I saw in theater, gonna post it here.

Transformers
    Review by Shale
    July 4, 2007

The 60-year-old man (or the four 15-year-old boys) ducked out early this morning to see this summer action flick before the afternoon storms came in. The 10:30 matinee theater was not very full, mostly teens, young adults and a few kids whose parents brought them to this PG-13 movie. A friend had seen it yesterday and was really impressed. I saw it today and am equally impressed.

Yeah, this all came from Hasbro and I remember seeing the toys on TV years ago and maybe the cartoon series.

Autobot Bumblebee (when not a yellow Camaro)
    [​IMG]

Never really got into it, but there is a story here and it's explained in the beginning of the movie. Planet Cybertron where the Autobots (good guys) and Decepticons (bad guys) are having a civil war loses their controlling source, the Allspark into space. Of course it lands on earth in ancient times, followed by the Decepticon Megatron who gets frozen in the Arctic.

This is all discovered by the Arctic exploring great-grandfather of our main protagonist, teenager Sam Witwicky (Shia LaBeouf), which brings him into the war. Seems great-grampa's glasses hold a clue to the location of the Allspark. Being a teen guy, Sam is trying to make it with this real fox. No really, Mikaela (Megan Fox) who has a way with autos and male libidos gets drawn into the war along with Sam by riding in his newly acquired old yellow Camaro, which we know is the Autobot Bumblebee.

Mikaela the Fox looks inside the Autobot Camaro

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, in a Middle Eastern desert, a military base is destroyed by a Decepticon, who accesses the military computers. This gets the attention of the Pentagon and the secretary of defense (Jon Voight) where everyone is trying to figure out what kind of new technology can hack our system so easily.

There are comic moments throughout this flick, from Sam's Chihuahua Mojo, with a broken leg and enjoying painkillers, to Sam's sometimes typical, inept attempts to get the girl and the ensuing teen angst. There are even lighter moments of the nasty little Decepticon hiding out as a boombox. But those light moments don't last too long before we're thrown into deadly shootings and gigantic battles between Autobots, Decepticons and our own military that finds ways to fight the enormous robots.

Autobot Optimus Prime (when not a semi truck)

[​IMG]

Sam's connection with Camaro/Bumblebee brings him under the view of one of those supersecret government agencies that doesn't even let the secretary of defense know all its secrets (like in Independence Day). Eventually the battle rages in the large city where Sam and Mikaela are involved as much as the soldiers.

Sam Witwicky guarding the Allspark

[​IMG]

It is a great summer action flick and I really recommend it. You know what it is going in. Suspension of disbelief and appreciation of teen humor required. My oldest grandson said he and his girlfriend were going to see it. I said yeah, definitely a date flick. No, I wasn't being sarcastic, for along with all the action and mayhem is also messages of loyalty to one's comrades in arms, sacrifice for a greater cause and an unfolding love story. Definitely more than meets the eye.