Trade War

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Burbot, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

im hoping we have the balls to go through with this...

http://www.kgw.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D8C68AOO0.html :D

2. Micha

Micha Now available in Verdana!

Stick it to America!

Right on Canada!

3. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

I hope so too... this could be interesting. :eek:

4. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

we shuld have raised a big stink with the UN when some border guard deprted a canadain born citizen to Lebanon because he was suspicious or something...deported a Canadain citizen citizen to the country his parents were born in...

i dont know whatssadder...that Canada didnt go to the UN, or that Canda didnt do much to get him out of lebanese prison...

5. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

im curious, do you ever hear news reports about the softwood lumber dispute?

6. Micha

Micha Now available in Verdana!

7. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

I think the US should do something similar and charge the corporations who make them high ass taxes for ALL foreign made goods. :D Cars, computers, anything. :D It woould increase prices, but I think overall it would be quite good for the economy. :D And also help to stop outsourcing. :D They should tax the fuck out of corporations for that to, making it effectively cheaper to hire someone here. Yeah this doesn't have much to do with the thread, but it just reminded me.

8. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

We don't need to import lumber anyway, the tarrifs are a good idea to make us rethink our lumber policy.

Your nation can't afford a trade war, we can. If Canada diversified it's exports more rather then shoring up what we're reluctant to produce in the US, they wouldn't fall on such hard times when we try to bring more lumber business back to the US.

The NAFTA panel was inacurate, Canadian lumber subsidies hurt US producers.

http://www.fairlumbercoalition.org/

9. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

yeah, thought so :(

10. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Thats crazy, a globalized economy is great for the US as is obvious considering our economy has trippled since the 70's. It's also turned China from a nation that could barely feed itself, into a major industrial power.

The long term benifits of controlled outsourcing are numerous, and it obviously isn't hurting our job market... Look at a nation like France which is hesitant to send any work overseas...and they have 10% unemployment and a stagnant economy.

11. Soulless||Chaos

Yeah, yeah, but think about how much shit the US buys.. :D IF we taxed the hell out of the companies that wish to sell shit here, that would be a lot of revenue. :D

12. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Lodui - it's political. The votes are in the East but the money is in the West. While vote-rich but increasingly poor Ontario is rapidly becoming a "have not" province, the Albertans are getting rich and with money comes the desire for power.

Mr. Dithers has decided to do two things. 1) consider the nationalisation of oil, which would result in Alberta seceding or 2) impose enough tariffs to make oil too expensive and therefore choke off the money supply.

This has NOTHING to do with fairness in trade. How come I can't buy the American version of "Sports Illustrated" in Canada, or watch Showtime? Hm? How come SIRIUS RADIO Canada isn't the same channel and how come I can't listen to SIRIUS instead?

13. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

another one of the reasons alberta is such a rich province is some of the lack of government fundeing towards certain areas [healthcare, education] Ralph Klein hsa also de-regulated the energy industry so lots and lots of money is being made...

id leave the province is Alberta seceeded, but i doubt that will happen

14. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

We do tax many imports, but if we do it too much, we might incur the vengeance of other governments who would say we're involved in unfair trade practices, then they would tax things they import from the US.

I think subsidies do much more harm then they do good, and many should be rethought. They keep impoverished nations poor, and put many unnesecary artificial controls on the economy.

15. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Well Burby, look at it this way -

Mr Dithers is in a bit of a jam. All his Eastern voters you know the french fries out in Queebeck who vote him in as well as the union leeches in Morontario - will be looking at their heating bills come winter with some alarm. They will want cheap oil.

Turdeau tried in the 70s with his National Energy Plan to basically take oil from Alberta and bankrupt em all to keep his Eastern cronies happy the last time this went down.

Dithers is in a jam because either he throws his voting constituency to the wind or he goes after Alberta, which will NOT sit through another NEP.

Secession will happen. And good riddance. Alberta can and will do better.

16. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

where are you from irongoth?

17. Soulless||Chaos

But we import much more than export, plus other countries do that shit anyway. :rolleyes: And we're such a huge market, are they going to just stop selling their shit here? :p

And fuck you, using reason and logic against me. :$

18. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

In a globalized economy, the traditional rules don't apply, having a trade deficit isn't nessecarily a bad thing anyway, it might even be a good thing.

Besides, countries that do rely too heavily on tarrifs, like much of the EU, have stagnant economic growth, China or India or Thailand wouldn't stop selling their goods here, but they might charge more to eport it, which would hurt sales here, and hurt our economy.

But who knows, I'm going to school for Agriculture Economics, but so far I haven't taken anything since high school economics. [​IMG]

19. Soulless||Chaos

Yeah I guess, but how is a deficit a good thing? :p Oh well, I suppose the economy is doing alright anyway. :D

20. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

The USA super number 1!!!

http://www.freetrade.org/pubs/pas/tpa-002.html

The biggest problem we have is that everyone wants to be a therapist and nobody wants to be a nuclear physicist.

We're going to be a buncha overdoped zombies wandering around in perpetual night because we nobody wanted to run a power plant, but we'll all have good complexions. [​IMG]