Tough Soles

Discussion in 'Bare It! Nudism and Naturism' started by Barefoot_kid, May 15, 2004.

1. Barefoot_kid

Barefoot_kid Member

Who thinks they have tough soles. I have been barefoot for 5 years running and have the toughest soles that I know of. Knives bounde right off. I can step on a thumbtack and never feel it. Strangely, my feet do not look tough. They are soft, smooth, and have some little callouses that act like steal. The other day I was running a forest trail. I decided that I was going to be adventureous and run off the trail in the brush. About 2 minutes into the run, I stepped on a thorn plant, yanked it out of the ground, and never knew it. The thorns didn't hurt. I pulled them out and it bled a little bit, but nothing happened. In school, the same thing happedned, I stepped on a thumbtack and never felt a thing. Because of this I go barefoot even when the is visible glass, and on construction sites. Glass just breaks under my foot and never does anything any way. I love going barefoot, it is the greatest. I have a girl friends whos soles are even tougher than mine and are always black from going barefoot. Even though my feet are that tough, they are still as sensitive to the grass, the sand, the moss, and all of thoes wounderful reasons to go barefoot, as I was the day I started. My girlfriend has very beautieful feet to. Perfectly shaped toes, lovely tan soles and tops. I give her foot massages regulary but right now she has a cut on her foot from some glass that she stepped on from the beach.

2. whichaxe

whichaxe Member

I did the glass thing one time.. fortunately, it was at the end of the summer... and I never felt a thing... didn't even realize it till I kicked the other broken half of the bottle.

3. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

glass on the beach... thats so wrong on so many levels

4. Barefoot_Longhair

Barefoot_Longhair Member

I don't get how some people could be so bored and so focused so as to continually post things that reek of BS like Barefoot_Kid does. It boggles the mind.

5. whichaxe

whichaxe Member

well.. he's obviously a young kid with nothing better to do than rant on the forum... but at least he's got the right mind frame.

6. ericf

ericf Member

Yeah there are somethings that are questionable. Personally... I have stepped on glass and had it break without cutting my foot. But it was a small chunk from a bottle and points down.

I have pretty tough soles but who really gets stuck deep enough to bleed and claims it didn't hurt? I have had a tack puncture all the way through my sole before... it didn't bleed more than a drop but it hurt like hell.

7. 18daydreamer

18daydreamer Member

Y so negative about this post? this is a free speech forum. and whos to say whats right and wrong to say? if everyone wasnt so focused on what the ''norm'' was and how your supposed to act and what your suppsed to say .....then every1 one b a lil more happy. thats awsum that u can go barefoot and not feel thorns ect but u can still feel the sand and grass =} being barefoot rules.

8. enjoylifeasmuchasyou

enjoylifeasmuchasyou Member

I do have tough soles, cause I'm walking the dog barefoot and I am barefoot all day. Sometimes I wear sandals or flip-flops, but most of the time I keep 'em bare!

9. Syd Barett's cat

Syd Barett's cat Member

I have Hobbit feet, very tough soles. (and hair on my feet, actually) The only time I wear shoes is when i'm at school, for two reasons: 1. people already think i'm weird, 2. there are some pretty nasty things on the floor at school!!

10. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

Even if it's not bollocks it's a bit much to keep posting it every five minutes. It's why I tend to leave these boards for long spells as topics go round and round and round again, and not just in this section.

As far as the topic in hand is concerned well my soles get tough during the height of as I build them up right up to the point where it gets cold again, as once it drops below a certain temperature my feet are comfortable in shoes. Then sometimes I'll walk barefoot in the cold just for the hell of it, but because I can manage in shoes, when it's cold most of the time I will - it's only when it starts to get warm that shoes are an impossibility for me. As a result my feet follow an annual cycle of toughening and softening. Only each summer as I gather more experience and more confidence and more assurance of who I am and less concern about what other people think then I try to do more and more. For example I took my shoes off at work having just put them on before I walked in the door and acted as if nothing was unusual and so as a result so did my employers. I was thinking perhaps of easing it in gradually until one day I might not wear any shoes at all and they may not notice, and if they don't notice it won't be an issue for anyone. Don't want to push it too quickly as we've got a MASSIVE demo coming up for the head of resources at the BBC - a very important person who usually wouldn't go anywhere near a company like ours for a demonstration so I'll want to help my employees relax by looking presentable and helping the whole demo go through smoothly and as professionally as possible. Appearance is everything after all.

11. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

I got pretty tough feet, I can run across gravel and the like... and also step on glass and such without it getting through my callouses.

However, I must question the part about the tacks and the thorns. In the rare cases anything is long & sharp enough to get through my callouses and bleed a little, I definitely feel it... either you're making things up or enhancing your story, as Barefoot_Longhair suspects, or otherwise you might want to get yourself checked for diabetes or something. Tough soles are good, but soles that feel nothing at all are NOT a good thing! Pain alerts us to potential problems. If one of those thorns breaks off when stuck in your foot, you don't feel it, and thus you don't do anything to take it out and clean it, you may well get an infection. Minor puncture wounds usually heal quickly, but if you leave foreign matter in there and don't clean them, they can become a problem. If your message is really true, you'll want to get into the habit of performing a good visual check every day.

12. Wonder Girl

Wonder Girl rhapsody in pink

My feet are pretty tough,I can walk on most things and not be uncomfortable. I was picking wild raspberries in the woods today and I stepped on a thorny branch and it did sting a bit.

13. sweet_dream

sweet_dream Member

I concur with Myranya. I have really tough soles- tough enough to walk comfortably on hot asphalt or run across coarse railroad gravel. Most types of thorns and stickers don't bother me much, although I can definitely tell when they stick to my feet. However, I still get thorns from puncturevine poking into the softer parts and I definitely feel that. I would imagine a thumbtack doing the same thing. I stepped on a thumbtack before and fortunately that time it didn't go very deep because I detected it before taking another step. It didn't bleed and my foot was fine. But I wouldn't expect to tolerate it going all the way in. My callouses are hard and tough but not quite as thick as a thumbtack in most places. Glass, on the other hand, usually doesn't bother me unless it's big enough for me to see clearly and avoid. Be good to your soles and respect nature. Stick to gravel and hot pavement for a challenge- nothing that breaks the skin. Those thorns out there are the plants' way of talking to us and letting us know we're bothering them.

14. artisticphantom

artisticphantom Member

i don't go barefoot. it's not safe in deer park cuz people try to run over you weith there cars. one of my pple from lunch in school tried to run me down in his gmc gimmy cuz of how i dress but he was too scurred to follow me into tha grass. so i wear flipflops and open toed sandles.

15. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

Question. How do shoes protect you from a car running over you?

16. ziggyfly

ziggyfly Member

I have rather strong feet.. usuallu i don't look at what i'm stepping on.. and when i do its when it hurt.. usualy that never happens inless its a tack or something... Other than that my feet are pritty tough.. my favorite thing to do is Run over Gravel!!! it feels good too me:).. ahah

17. Rugged_Soles

Rugged_Soles Member

sweet dreams and Myranya are right on. healthy toughness is the way to go. If you feel nothing at all something is wrong. Puncture wounds are very difficult to clean and may lead to infection. Take care of your feet and they'll take care of you with years and years of trouble free miles.

18. inzgary

inzgary Members

I guess I can say my soles are tough. I can still feel everything I step on and if i stepped on something really sharp like a thorn or a tack it will cut me.

19. whichaxe

whichaxe Member

Ahhh.. the beginning of summer is always a troubled time for the barefooter. Have now fears... a couple of months of barefoot walking will cure all. Just gotta toughen the feet up a little.

Personally, I think that if you've been barefoot before, you've got a shorter time to re-toughen your soles again.