Topless Women

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Maria420, May 9, 2004.

1. Megara

Megara Banned

you were talking about breasts..not breastfeeding. I'd agree that breastfeeding isnt sexual. Women topless is questionable.

2. Pablo

Pablo Member

But what some thing inplies or symbolizes is entirely something we invent, unless it is an active part in it. A penis does automatically symbolize sex because it is used for it, but breasts just have that asociation because we like them. In the free countrys of the world the idea is that you can do what you want if your not hurtung anyone. Now i see how if a kid sees someone beating somone up in public, thats bad, he may think its ok to harm people, if a kid sees people screwing in public, i supose that could be bad cause without someone to explain it he might just like what he sees and go off and try it with no understanding. But whats a kid going to do if he sees a breast? enjoy it? um, ask what breasts are for? i dont know what, they arent involved in sex so seing them wont make him try anything, its not like he'll grab them from urges, any more than kids have trouble grabbing breasts through womens shirts, they would know theyre not suposed to just as well.

3. Megara

Megara Banned

everything except our inalienable rights are "invented." Are we going to get rid of everything because we "invented" them? .

But seriously, have we come that far that this is whats left to bitch about? There are real women out there with real problems.excuse me, but i dont find this as a "real problem."

4. Pablo

Pablo Member

thats the point of inteligence, we can decern between what is fvital and what is not, our inalienable rights are invented, but for the cause of trying to make things as good as we can for people, we know that we want freedom. What is the reason though for inventing the idea that breasts are wrong to be seen in public. Answer my real question, what horrors will come of women being alowed to have bear breasts in the same places men may be shirtless, and as exposed as necisary to comfotably breastfeed anywhere? Tell me what would be so aful?

5. Megara

Megara Banned

Dont tell our forefathers that our inalienable rights are "invented".....

As for what horrors? Dont be so dramatic. But people will be exposed to breasts who dont want to or shouldnt have to be. I personally wouldnt want my 5 year old kid walking around and seeing women topless. Like it or not, in America, breasts are sexual. They are the same "horrors" that would come from seeing a penis or a vagina. Why do you want to force them onto kids?

6. Pablo

Pablo Member

who said anything about forcing penises and vaginas onto kids? You mean breasts, totaly diferent issue. I just dont see what harm it would do to kids to see an ocational topless woman. As i understand it breasts EXIST to put right in the faces of the very young and even alow them to suck on them.

Saying a baby cant be breast fed in public or that kids shouldnt be where breasts are visible, because we find them sexy, when feeding newborns is what theyre made for, is like if you have back problems and are perscribed a masager and your older sister discovers she likes to use it as a sex toy so she takes it away and wont let you have it.

7. Megara

Megara Banned

who is saying breastfeeding shuold be illegal?

Look, in the US.. a breast, a penis and a vagina are all sexual. If you want to declassify one as sexual, you may as well do the whole schbang. Are we not taught that a penis is sexual? are we not taught that a vagina is sexual? are ew not taught that a breast is sexual?

There is no need for women to be walking around naked in public...go to a beach or your house for that

8. Pablo

Pablo Member

who cares what were taught, and why would making them all legal go together? My argument is that they do fall into diferent categories. Penises and vaginas are both illegal to show in public, thats fair, both men and women must cover their crotches. But men can show their chests so why cant women? I dont know if youve talked to many women about it, but a mans chest is also sexual to women. Just like some women have chests that arent good looking, not all mens chests are sexy, but im sure a woman has the same amount of sexual thoughts looking at a bare chested healthy firm guy as a man does looking at a bare chested healthy firm woman, am i right ladies?

9. Megara

Megara Banned

have any woman walk around town naked and see if it isnt illegal. They will force you to cover up just as they would make you cover up a penis or a vagina.

You can claim it all you want, but mens breast do not have the sexual connotations that womens do in society. It is not sexist, its just how it is.

10. Pablo

Pablo Member

I know its ilegal and it ofends people, thats what im saying should change, if someone taught you that your ears were improper to show in public and that they should be covered with cloth thingys would that make it right? Things can change and they should. I see no records of Rome and Egypt having had any problems because women werent required to cover their breasts.

11. Megara

Megara Banned

where are you getting your information that woman were walking around topless and not in a toga/stola in the roman empire?

Also, Rome isnt America.

Granted, you can be taught that anything is "sexual" i think you're pushing it by comparing an "ear" to a breast.

12. Pablo

Pablo Member

Ok, if your going to argue by pretending not to get what my point is, or if you dont actually get it, then forget you, im going to go hang out with my nudist girlfriend. :)

13. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

You sure are wasting a lot of your time ranting, clueless, about an issue you, somehow feel isn't "real." Why is that? If this isn't a "real" issue, and you only want to deal with "real" issues, why are you spending so much time on this?

Penises and vaginas being sexual is NOT learned! It is innate that they are sexual. Thinking (wrongly) that breasts are exclusively "sexual" IS learned, as most people on Earth don't think they are, and they are NOT an intregal part of the sex act.

14. Pablo

Pablo Member

Exactly, a penis being put into a vagina is how you have sex thats why they're sexual. But you can have sex without breasts and you can have breasts without sex, that makes the two mutually exclusive.

and you only want to make this a non issue because its the way you want it already, if it were the other way around, yould be the one going on about it and wed be the ones not caring.

15. DecemberSun

DecemberSun Member

GO TOPFREE:
    This is hilarious. I've been reading and reading (I read all 10 pages!) and I can see that everyone has their OWN OPINION on this subject. It's just like anything else in this world. Some people were raised to view breasts as sexual, and they must be covered up. Some people were raised to view breasts as any other body part, and they are comfortable with baring them. No one (man or woman) should feel ASHAMED to have breasts, and no one should feel like they HAVE to cover them up to please someone else. If you want to keep your breasts "private", then that's you're perogative, you have the right in this country to do that. (I, personally don't want everyone in the world to see the stretch marks on my tummy, but my boobs are another story!) But if you feel comfortable going topfree, I think we should have the liberty in this country to do so. If you're a male (or a lesbian for that matter) and you feel you'd be too turned on sexually to function in society if you viewed a topless women walking down the street on a hot summer day, then get a freakin' grip! I LOVE a nice darkly tanned, smooth manly chest and muscular back, and I'll stare at a sexy topless man if I see one. Learn to deal with it, man! Personally, I cringe when I see an obese women in tight clothing with her stomach fat hanging over her pants, but it's her right in this country to wear whatever she wants isn't it? It's not my place to go tell her to cover up, and it's not your place either!

NURSE WHEREVER YOU WANT:
    As for breastfeeding in public, I can't believe so many of you are so ignorant! If you don't have any kids, please don't comment on how you would theoretically raise your child in today's society! Don't say "I would never feed my child in public, I'd go to the restroom or cover up like a good, respectable person." Ha! Try telling your perfect, precious, hungry two-week old newborn that you can't feed him right now because someone else might see it. WHAT?!? You've got to be kidding me! My baby doesn't know that some people view breastfeeding as 'disgusting', and I'm going to raise him to see it as necessary. Why don't I pack bottles to feed him in public you ask? (Not that it's any of your business...) Because he won't take them! He'd scream and cry and cough and choke every time I tried to feed him by bottle. I tried every nipple on the market, and he could care less. So I don't have a choice but to nurse my picky baby. And, considering you all view breastfeeding in public as "disgusting", wouldn't be ok for me to view bottle feeding the same way? I think it's gross to mix up dry chemicals with water to make baby formula, and put it into an "articifial breast" to feed a baby. Tell me, why are plastic bottles OK in public, but the ones made by God are not??? Please don't judge all mothers out there nursing their babies as "ho's and trailer trash". That's immature, ignorant, and just untrue. We, as mothers, sacrifice A LOT to breastfeed our babies and we don't need your stupid asses putting us down. I'll feed my kid wherever I damn well please, thank you very much! And, come on, I live in ARIZONA where it gets up to 115+ degrees, so covering my baby's sweaty head with a blanket doesn't go over well- he rips and kicks it off. I do breastfeed discreetly, though. Believe me, I don't want every man (and some women) on earth staring at me with disgust while I try to nourish my son. I'll do what it takes to feed my kid without inconveniencing YOU or your life in the least.

DESEXUALIZE BREASTS:
    I don't get how a women walking down the street topless is viewed by men as sexy, but attach a baby to the breast and all sexuality is suddenly gone??? It's just me, but I really don't get it... Either they're sexual or they're not. Like many others have said, people get turned on for different reasons. Some people have a foot fetish, some people have a butt fetish, some people like eyes, some people like BOOBS. It is a personal preference, and a learned behavior to associate a pair of breasts with a vagina to become SEXUAL. Any body part can theoretically be SEXUAL, but we don't necessarily have to cover up everything to avoid a few glances. Bare 'em if you want to, cover 'em if you choose to, but realize that everyone has their own opinions and ideas about breasts and you can't change that... You can, however, change the laws regarding nudity, so go for it :)

16. peaceful420

peaceful420 Member

The only reason it's viewed the way it is is because society portrays breasts as a sexual thing that can't be flaunted, but yet movies show boobs more than any other form of nudity. It doesn't seem to be a problem onscreen, but when someone real walks around topless, it's a problem. I don't think it should be right for people to tell us we can't wear (or not wear). Go to Toronto; it's legal to go topless there. I think that would be cool if everyone would just get over it.

17. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

This is why nursing a child is so disgusting to some people. They have so convinced themselves (or society has convinced them) that breast are merely sexual that they see feeding your child as performing a sexual act with the child. Now if you ask me (which no one did) THEY (the ones who see breast merely as sexual objects, as opposed to the perfect way of mothering a child) are the sick ones, and they need to get over it!

Wow! Breast are great aren't they? I mean, they can get everybody so worked up!

Personally, I've never had a problem breastfeeding my children in public. People just write me off as some naked hippie! Though I still get the looks.

18. Pablo

Pablo Member

People just need to learn to think in each situation, if a woman is feeding her kid then her breast is not being sexual, so its ok in public, now if a full grown man is pasionatly squeezing them and kissing them, thats sexual and it shouldent be out where anyone can see it. Why can't people just think instead of making flat rules?! I mean it's not as if you can make a rule for everything, you just need comon sence, like in front of a urinal, even when other people are in the rest room its ok to take out your penis right? but obviously its not ok to maturbate right there, do we need a specific rule about that? Obviously its common sence. If a woman is breast feeding while siting on a bus what harm will it do? A child may ask "whats she doing" and the person their asking could answer "shes feeding her milk to her baby" Its not like it would turn the kid into a sex freak, or pervert them, it might do that if it was a full grown man mouthing on a tit, but thats the thing, thats not all tits are for. Theyre beautiful, and sexy, but they are most of all part of a womans gift of being able to create and nurture life. Hiding the truth from youngsters is what warps them. Most rapists were either molested physically, or were raised in a strictly repressed environment, not alowed to hear or talk of anything thought to be sexual, i dont see any statistic about a large number having been traumatised by seeing a topless lady walking down the street.

19. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

You make a good point, poblo, and it was well said.:)

20. teepi

teepi living my dream

About 27 years agoI actually had a rare outing....I went out to eat lunch, rare because I was a single mother and money was so tight.

I took my baby girl with me as I nursed her and would never leave her home just to walk a few blocks away for lunch, she was about 4 months old.
    I had a very loose gauze shirt on and when she fussed from hunger I stuck her UNDER my shirt, an older woman across the restaurant saw me situate my baby and went to the owner.
    He came around to the door and peeped over the cigarette machine (I knew what was up and told my friend I was with).
    No one said anything to me at the time, the other women left and I went to the owner and asked about it...he, being a sweet greek man told me that in his country it is considered a beautiful thing that a woman can give her child so much health from her breast. And that he saw I was discreet and told the woman she could leave if she had a problem with it.
    Years later I got a job in that restaurant and loved working there.

As far as going topless, when I lived at the commune in Vermont I tried it and loved it.
    Now I have my own land, and I go topless and sometimes nude here,our shower is in the greenhouse and we are building a sauna this year, if any of you women want to get natural, come on over and have a great time,
    teepi