Top Ten Reasons Why PS is Better than HS

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by RainbowSquidney, Aug 5, 2005.

1. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

I just found that article somewhere online and copied & pasted it here for everyone to read....I didn't write it myself. 1 of my brothers lived in Japan for 3 yrs & my ex was stationed in South Korea for 1 yr in the late 70's. So I have my own reasons to believe that kids in USA get more depressed and more likely to commit suicide then kids in Japan & Korea.

**BTW** I love you too....or at least love reading your posts & never get tired of seeing pic of your little girl

2. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

recoculous

3. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Yes, it is the more high pressure societies which have the highest suicide rate. What I found from my research is that Finland has THE highest suicide teen rates in the world (I have NO idea what their education system is like, so I don't know) but New Zealand, Japan, Korea, Canada and and other societies have high suicide rates. Much higer than the USA. Surprisingly, African American teens have dramatically lower suicide rates than white kids, and not suprisingly, Asian kids have higher suicide rates than white kids. It's a shame that children kill themselves over grades.

4. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

more remarkable is how much importance parets put on grades rather the importance of their child's sanity

5. TokeTrip

TokeTrip Senior Member

I know two girls who were homeschooled until 8th grade (end of middle school). They both got into school, and knew very little of the curriculum. I'm not talking about chemistry, the sciences, and perfect english grammar. I'm talking about their ability to read and communicate. They read on *maybe* a 5th grade level. I'm pretty good friends with one of them, and she's not exactly set to succeed (she's in 11th grade now, as am I). Her reading, speaking, and verbal skills are well below average, and she has difficulty with math and the sciences. I understand morals and such being more important, but aren't basic life skills up there too? I'm not saying all homeschool "teachers" are undereducated or unable to effectively educate their children, but there are many, probably more advantages to public school.

6. Angel_Headed_Hipster

Angel_Headed_Hipster Senior Member

Im sure you can learn a lot more and better things from Home school, because public school is obviously in control by the government and they dictate what is taught, so a lot of it esp. history is very innaccurate, but when your only friends are your parents that just really sucks, if you don't go to public school youll never learn how to communicate with kids your age as well, and of course there are exceptions, I just think public school is more healthy thant home school.

7. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

After having the privilege to get homeschooled after being raised on public school, and then get to go back to public school, I must say that I really really prefer public school. Though I wouldn't nearly be who I am today if it weren't for my being homeschooled last year.

8. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

you know, i'm the reason #10 isn't really a joke...

there should be a #11: some parents have very poor discipline and patience, and are terrified of doing more harm than good.

9. RainbowSquidney

RainbowSquidney Member

For me, #10 is not really a joke.

Not that I'm not smart enough, I just didn't learn a lot in the typical public school setting.
    Now I'm learning WITH my daughter as I teach her.

10. cutelildeadbear

cutelildeadbear Hip Forums Gym Rat

Some professors might treat students as sane and intelligent (and rightfully so, as one should be before that point) however, I'm not too certain (at least not in the 2 colleges I have attended) how much emphasis is put on independant thought, nor am I certain how many students (mostly from public school systems) deserve half of the respect they may receive from a professor, because quite frankly most of them don't want to learn. I'm only speaking from my point of view of course, and what other people my age have talked with me about. But even as far up as the university level it is pretty bad. Students just lack maturity these days to even go to college and understand how lucky they are that they are there and how much they should appreciate it.

I agree, certainly not sending my future children into the public school system. I've known that for years. And I actually had quite good experiences with the public school system personally, but things have certainly changed in only the 8 years I've been out.

Oh yeah and the original post was quite humorous. Thanks! ;)

11. cutelildeadbear

cutelildeadbear Hip Forums Gym Rat

That is more than I can say for most parents out there. I listen to these women at work who laugh about the fact that they have no idea how to do half of the math their children bring home and they don't know any of the science that their children are studying. It is sad, not only that they don't know, but really that they are not willing to learn in order to help their children. They send them off to tutors and tell them that it is the teacher's job. You know my parents didn't have any more than a high school education (mom public, dad Catholic, yikes) and every single night my parents helped my sister and I with our studies, and if they didn't understand something they read the entire damn book if they had to in order to explain it to us. Sheesh!

12. willpower

willpower Member

never have a more truer statement been made than that of #10, but i moreover think that the reason why most parents would opt for public versus homeschooling is because its the last legal babysitter available, i know a bunch of girls with kids and at the onsluaght of fall's promise tyhey were brimming with excited anticipation of the return of a school year, all with the same decree of happiness that there is yet another 9 month oppurtunity for someone else to have to deal with there kids, they cant wait to get their houses back, and so on.... when i try to explain to them that they are the catalyst upon which there childrens futures are robbed educationally socially and morally the look upon me as the anti-christ... as far as social interaction goes i think alot of homeschooling parents fair better than most as they have the oppurtunity to fine tune a child social skills and offer the child a choice of interractions in public schools this is not the case you have to either be iin the "in crowd" or somewhere else.... its a retailers dream for public school, its a congressional and municipalital wheel of torture as the are allowed to do anything almost to the sanctitiy of a family in the name of miseducation..... just my thoughts..... the top ten was horribly funny at the expense of misguided parents and unfortunate children....

13. Keramptha

Keramptha Senior Member

the bad part of school is that they te;ll you shut up and they shout at you.. but its the law you have to go...
    IT FUCKS YOU UP QUITE A BIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but hopefully you can unfuck yourself afterwards...in a slow and painful process

14. Becknudefck

Becknudefck Senior Member

from what ive seen so far, homeschooled kids have turned out to be the biggest pussies.

15. the_sweet

the_sweet Member

my mum is a teacher and a teacher in a really good school. It is unfair to make judgements on public schooling because you yourself have chosen homeschooling, many parents don't homeschool and some don't have the resources or time to homeschool. It isn't right to make parents feel their kids are having a worse education by being sent to a public school.

16. Moon Water

Moon Water Rena

LOL :D that was so funny. I hated public school

17. tuatara

tuatara Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

i think this home schooling verses public schooling arguement is about 6 of one and half a dozen of the other .........i know a lot of people that were home schooled and even more that went ot public school .some good .some bad ....like public school .......how many of your friends were in grade 10,11 or 12 that were and still are functionally illiterate .i know plenty of those ...for some reason they just slip through the system undetected ..........hell .in the larger schools the teachers don't even know your name ........it's like the government ...you are just a number

18. shake55

shake55 Member

I have been around several home schooled kids. Most are border line socially inept. They have a fraction of the social skills and understanding of people and human nature. Not being able to navigate society is not a useful trade off for having marginally better spelling than the public school kid. I have a great education and I appreciate it but what has made more of a difference in my life is understanding people and being an expert at social interaction. Having read 3 oscar wilde works instead of the cliff notes of one will really only take you so far. Being socially mal adjusted is one thing when you are SOO intelligent that you can't relate to people. It is another when you just cant relate. Social interaction comes from those micro experiences of mixing up books with the person sitting next to you, walking down the hall way by your ex girlfriend and her now guy. It comes from sitting next to the bully and trying not to laugh because he smells. THAT is what makes you competent with people. Unless you are in some vietnam era inner city school or you are alreays intent on becoming a lab scientist that will never marry, home schooling is a detrement.

19. dreadiemama26

dreadiemama26 Member

I am finding this thread amusing...i myself, knew years before i had a child that i would never send them to public school.....not that i preach or put down parents who make that choice. My son is 3 and a half now, and I am still dead set determined to make homeschooling work...i love the fact tha not only will I be learning with my shild, but he will have so so soooooo many more choices of what he WANTS to learn about, and different aspects of the things he has to learn, that he would not be offered in public school. I find it funny that people automatically assume that we want to seclude our children from the world just because we don't want to send them into a government organized learning facility. The government have enough control over us as is, let alone trying to take our children away at age 5 and brainwash them. There are many many ways of getting socialization. Traveling around if posible to museums, cultural festivals, and other events first off, and second off, the unlimited extra curricular activities that are out there, not to mention play groups and things for small children.

Just some thoughts.....would love to hear more of yours.....

Just happened to observe that many of the comments made abut the negative aspects of homeschooling are made by KIDS who haven't even faced "the real world" yet themselves. Love you guys though!

sarah

20. busmama

busmama go away

Some homeschooled children are socially inept, and some public school kids are socially inept. I homeschool, its a good choice for me. It would not be such a good choice for some of my friends. I have to say that I have actually met very few HS kids with social problems, I actually think (just my opinion) that public school children tend to suffer from more emotional problems. But I'm not so sure that we can blame the schools for this, its just a simple fact that parents who opt for private or home school tend to be more involved in thier childrens lives.

My children play with public, private and home schooled children without any trouble at all. School socialization is really quite fake. As an adult I spend very little time with people all within a year of my age with some authority figure directing all of our interaction. One of the things that I like about HS is the diversity of ages, backgrounds and family's of the kids we meet.

I have no problem with parents who choose to public school, but I do get tired of others who feel that they can put me down for my descion.