toothpaste for scratched cds

Discussion in 'Music' started by Acorn, Jan 13, 2005.

1. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

How to Repair Scratched CDs

Steps:
    1. Determine the nature of the problem. Turn over the CD and look first for a smudge (see "Clean CDs" under Related eHows). If you notice a scratch, however, continue on to step 2.

2. Buy a fluid-based CD scratch-repair kit. (Image 1)

3. Get a soft, lint-free cloth, such as one made for cleaning eyeglasses, if your scratch-repair kit doesn't come with cloths or swabs. (Image 2)

4. Follow the manufacturer's instructions. Wipe across the CD, working from the inside out in straight lines. Never wipe in a circular pattern. (Image 3)

5. Repeat the process, if necessary.

Tips:
    Use a cleaner rather than a repair kit if the scratches are minor but cause skipping or stopping.

Avoid using alcohol, abrasive cleaners, petroleum-based products, ammonia, commercial plastic cleaners or toothpaste, and avoid scrubbing, polishing or buffing.

If you experience problems when using a disc on other play-back units, try rerecording at a different speed.

Warnings:
    Household cleaning products - including alcohol, abrasive cleaners, petroleum-based products, ammonia and commercial plastic cleaners - may harm CDs.

Scrubbing, polishing or buffing CDs may damage them.

Avoid home remedies that suggest using toothpaste. Toothpaste is a mild abrasive and acts as a light sandpaper. While it may sometimes buff out scratches, more often it will cause additional scratches.

Even a successful repair may still make it difficult for the laser to read the CD properly, resulting in lower sound quality.

2. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

So what I am getting from my web "research" is
    as a last resort you could try toothpaste because it is a mild abrasive and you could buff out some scratches but doing it wrong you could create more scratches.

3. tpgi

tpgi Member

yea but it seems that all cd cleaning kits use mild abrasives....

4. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

Yea, so I'm thinking they suggest against using other things because they would like to sell their product. Capatalism through fear. Im going t try the toothpaste when the time comes.

5. tpgi

tpgi Member

haha yea, just practice on crappy cd's until u get the hang of it. It would suck if your favorite cd was skipping on just one track, and then u totally fuck it up after using the toothpaste shiot

6. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Yhat's strange that never happened to me and I just use any kind of toothpste I have.

7. Acorn

Acorn Member

i dont think anyone anwsered my question. do you have to reaply the toothpaste to keep the scratches away?

8. Duck

They don't go away they just get filled in, and I already said that it's only temporary.

9. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

The best method... don't fuck up your CD's. It's not hard to keep them in good condition. None of my CD's have scratches, and none of them ever skip.

Don't touch the bottom of the disc, keep your CD's out of direct sunlight, and always keep your CD's in their cases when not playing them. It's really pretty easy...

10. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

Î þürñ 壣 mÿ ©Ð'Š †ö mÿ ©ömÞü†ër Šö îƒ Î ƒü©k î† üÞ Î ©åñ jüŠ† rëþürñ åñö†hër ©Ð †hå†'Š ë×婆£ÿ †hë Šåmë ::)

11. Duck

You mean rip 'em (burning is putting it on the CD), and don't use that stupid font, some people might not be able to read it.

12. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

that's CRAZY! and GREAT! did it work, claire?

13. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

thank you!

14. hailtothekingbaby

hailtothekingbaby Yowzers!

I am now trying to imagine the pioneer (m / f) of this technique saying "hey, my cd is scratched, let's try smearing toothpaste on it and see if that helps."

15. hailtothekingbaby

I saw a cd-scratch-undoer or something in some catalog yesterday by the way, it sort of grinds a tiny bit off the whole shining side of the cd, so the surface of the disc becomes completely flat again... I wouldn't use that thing on the same cd too often.

16. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

what's toothpaste?

17. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

lmao, I imagine things like that, often...

My best friend is the type to pioneer these things... :D Of course, they never usually work...

18. hailtothekingbaby

Doesn't it take kinda long to post if you always type like that? :eek: :)

19. sleepy_ashes

sleepy_ashes Member

yeah I heard this idea too, never made sense to me, but then again I never tried it. Seems like if it did work, it would just cause your CD's to jump forward rather than have that pause when it skips.

My dad is the guy who exchanges the CD's and stuff in bar and restaurant jukeboxes, and he always taught me to use rubbing alchohol and a washcloth, works great IMO, if that doesn't work, it's probably time to either get a new CD or download the CD (hey, you already payed for it right?)

20. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

um .. . i hope yall arent ignorin me . . . c'mon, whats toothpaste?