toothpaste for scratched cds

Discussion in 'Music' started by Acorn, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Acorn

Acorn Member

does any one know if once you put on the toothpaste you have to put it on again later?

2. John221

John221 Senior Member

Toothpaste? For scratched CDs? Toothpaste?!

3. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Yeah It just temporarily fills in the scratches.

4. Claire

Claire Senior Member

really? gawd i hope you are right, you could save me a fortune! If it lasts long enought to get them transferred onto my pc i will give you all good rep my friends:D

Love Clairexxxx

5. Duck

Rub it on inside to out and rinse it off. Dry it with something soft that wont shred. It only works for a maximum of a few days.

6. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

I do not see how that could work...

toothpaste is an abrasive material...
    don't u think that it would scratch it more ??? Rather than fill in ?

7. Duck

Abrasive? The brush is the abrasive part not the toothpaste.

8. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

yeah, toothpaste works

ancient secret remedy for scratched cd.

9. t-dub

t-dub Pass me the pepper

also works wonders for holes on white walls!

10. jen910

jen910 Senior Member

It works I found that out after my brother forked my sarah mcglaclin cd

11. daysye

daysye dumb as a box of hammers

i never knew that....maybe i can save myself some bucks and try it....thanx

12. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

That is not true..i am a trained dental professional..i know that toothpaste is an abrasive...have u ever put the paste on your teeth and then bite down..it crunches a bit..like a pumice or emery would...pumice is a stronger abrasive though...but toothpaste is a mild abrasive..i could see it scratching up the cd more so than helping...i mean u wouldn't pumice a cd right.. ??? ?

I don't know guys..it sounds like a bad idea to me...toothpaste is meant to polish your teeth...not to fix cd's or walls...

13. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

it must be a certain kind of toothpaste right?

the gel kind or the pastey kind?

14. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

Got this off a site.

CD scratches cause the laser in your CD player to mistrack, resulting in that oh-so-familiar skipping sound. Locating those scratches can be tricky, but it helps to remember that CDs are the opposite of LPs -- the first track is towards the center of the disk.

CD-cleaning fluids work by filling in these scratches with chemical softeners and tiny abrasives; the process is similar to getting a touch-up on your car's bodywork. That's why a lot of them are called "resurfacing kits." You'll still be able to notice the scratches on the disk, but it should play fine.

If you don't feel like shelling out the cash for a special kit, Learn2.com will teach you how to fix your scratched CDs with just a cloth and a mild abrasive like toothpaste.

One important note to remember -- always brush your CDs with a soft, lint-free cloth in a straight line, from the inside out. Never use a circular motion -- this could create scratches that won't go away.

15. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

Ok..i can buy that..see u put actually facts and info down...i'm still not sure if i'd use toothpaste..i'd just buy the proper stuff...

and mama..all toothpaste is abrasive ! !!

16. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

Yup, Ill probably use the toothpaste though when I get an ipod so I can get all the songs off the discs i have, especially the cds in my car case, those are shot to hell.

17. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

i do not have an ipod..i have a dell pocket dj and it is soooo kewl..i can put all of my cd's onto these little device the side of a credit card..it's so amazing...i luv having it....

18. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

Yea they are great, itll save me from sctracthing all my cds up, ill probably end up getting not an ipod but something similar, I have to check them out, Im still waiting for one that I can put a digital imageing card like a flash card into and download my images for storage as well as having lots of space for music. That would be a definite buy.

19. Duck

You are correct I meant to say that the toothbrushes are the mor abrasive part, but now that I think about it most toothbrushes are pretty soft so, I think I was wrong anyway.

20. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

That is absolutely not true. There are tiny abrasive particles in toothpaste.

Now, are you all talking about using GEL toothpaste or PASTE toothpaste.

I tried using paste kind (Arm and Hammer peroxicare) on a CD and it DID NOT WORK. In fact, as RAR said, it left lots of tiny scratches. It was a damn good thing I did it on a CD that was already too far gone. I just did it to observe what would happen, and I am seriously not confident that it would not screw up a CD more than it already was.

-Jeffrey