Tooth Ache

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Earthy Mama, May 9, 2004.

1. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

Hi,
    I have a pretty painful cavity that is making eating and drink hard. I won't beable to get it filled or another month or two so I was wondering if anyone knew of anyway to make it not hurt so much... like a natural pain reliever. I prefer natural because I am a breastfeeding mother and I know I don't have many medication choices if I wanted to take them anyway.
    Any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Peace,
    Eryn

2. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

What about a little oragel? ambesol? It is local pain relief so it shouldn't get into your milk.

3. chaos

chaos Member

yea i'd recommend cloves. you chew on them and they should numb it. their also antibacterial i think.

4. Micro

Micro Member

You should go to the dentist and get it filled. I speak from experience. If it's starting to be painful, it's only a matter of time before it can become infected. I lost a filling and didn't know till it was too late. The pain is the worse I've ever felt and it started fri. nite and couldn't see the dentist till mon. morning. And to make it worse the only thing that could save the tooth was a root canal that I couldn't afford so it had to be extracted.

5. DharmaBum

DharmaBum Old Guard

Can you get it pulled sooner than you would a filling?..i'd strongly recommend you get that sucker pulled if you can get it done sooner ,cause i'm telling you months with that pain will drive you Banana's!.

6. Moving_cloud

Moving_cloud Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hi Earthy Mama

i had this breaking tooth not too long ago catching my attention every time i opened my mouth to take a deep breath out in the cool air. Which was quite a challenge for me. Then i thought why not use it as a tool instead and do something different with it than just feel like suffering.

So what if you stop to fight and relax instead and go with the pain and just watch it and accept and then watch how it slowly resolves. Give it a colour or a shape if you want and watch how it gets a life of its own then. Just don't feed it with anger or fear.

I hope this helps!

7. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

clove oil

i think there are emergency kits that you can get. kind of like a do it yourself filling. ask at your local pharmacy, they might know where you can get one.

it might also help to use dental wax (beeswax or fresh propolis works too. propolis would actually help keep it from getting infected) over the cavity site. i had a broken tooth for a while that i couldnt afford to get fixed ( it's fixed now), and the dental wax really helped with the pain a lot.

if you're really brave you could volunteer at a dental school and let a student use your mouth to learn on.

8. BoozeJockey

BoozeJockey Member

You can do that? Lol sweet, free dental care the rest of my life!

9. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Sweetie, you have almost the entire US pharmacopia at your disposal. There are few pain meds, anesthetics, antibiotics ect that you can't take while breastfeeding. Almost all commonly used drugs are safe during lactation.

Take a good 600 tp 800 mg dose of Ibuprophen for now that's 3 or 4 OTC Motrin or Advil (You can repeat it every 6 hours, or every 4 hours if you only take 400 mgs) or some Tylenol. You can also take two Aleve every 12 hours. If it is bad enough you will also be safe with Vicodin, Tylenol with Codiene, Propoxyphene (but IMO, it isn't good for pain, try to get the Vic or the Codeine) or most any prescription pain killer.

If you need anesthesia for your procedure, they are ALL fine. They can give you Xylocaine (they don't even use Novacaine anymore) and or Nitrous (laughing gas.) Neither will have an effect on your baby. Dentists are the WORST when it comes to information on drugs in lactation, so be prepared for some crappy advice (I was once told to pump my milk for two days after a procedure, it was TOTALLY unecessary. I gave the dentist some info on drugs in lactation, but who knows if he read it.) Trust your LLL leader or Lactation Consultant, not a dentist or phamacist when it comes to drugs in lactation, there are some pharmacists who are OK, but many of them are more concerned with lawsuits than your continued nursing, so when you go to pick up your medicaiton don't even TELL the pharmacist you are nursing.

Please get it taken care of before it gets infected.

Blessings,

Maggie

10. Shakra

Shakra Member

Oil of cloves and other such remedies will not affect the pain if the nerve has been exposed, at best they will numb the gum. You really need to get it seen to, dental wax or whatever you can substitute for it, may help, as it's the nerve being exposed to the air that causes the pain initially in cavities. However if the pain is REALLY bad the chances are that you may already have an abscess forming there, which may mean extraction or root canal.

And take Maggie Sugar's advice and go get some proper pain killers because nerve pain is real nasty, and if you have an abscess the pain is likely to get worse as the pressure on the nerve caused by that abscess pressing upon it, will increase, as the abscess gets larger.

I remember having an abscess that redefined my entire jaw line on the right side, it was so big. After showing up at the local hospital I was put on a course of anti-biotics and given another course of these evil super strength prescription painkillers, that made me feel high as a kite but didn't touch the pain. It was only when I managed to get to a dentist, and have it drained that the pain finally stopped (well it stopped as soon as I received the 2 local anaesthetic injections that I was given after which I could barely move my whole face for around 8 hours afterwards, but hey I didn't care I was still high as a kite on the damned pain killers and pain free!!!) I ended up having an extraction with a post and crown fitted.

11. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

Eryn~how's your tooth now?

12. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

That's exactly what I was going to say. If it's hurting that bad, chances are the nerve is exposed. And no pain reliever out there can fully stop the pain caused by an exposed nerve. It can dull the pain for a couple of hours, but you'll always feel it to some extent. The only way to get it to stop is to get it taken care of by a dentist.

I had this happen to me a few months ago. I kept putting off the dentist until I just could not stand it anymore. I had them do an extraction since I, too, could not afford a root canal. It's awful because the tooth was my right molar, but I've got a wisdom tooth that's growing around that spot (since I'm at that age :p), so I'm hoping it will "grow into" the hole that was left behind. Though it probably won't, I'm glad I won't have to worry about getting that wisdom tooth removed as well, since there's now room for it to grow back there.

But yes, see a dentist and get that thing outta there! You'll feel SO much better! :D

13. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

i know i need to see a dentist. my insurance only lets me go one place and i have an apointment in a couple weeks... so until then...

14. Shakra

Shakra Member

I am from the UK and we have emergency dental care provided for everyone, regardless of cost, even where there is no dental insurance or where a person isn't registered to a dental practice/dentist. I have no idea what it is like over there in the U.S but is there no emergency dental care provision in place at all via hospitals or with your dentist? If you are in severe pain waiting 2 weeks is truly awful [​IMG]

In the meantime you could try a hot-salt water mouthwash (2 teaspoons of salt to a cup of hot water) gargle this at least twice daily. If you have an abscess this may help to get rid of it and thus a lot of the pain it will be causing you if you have one, if you don't have one then a salt-water gargle will help prevent you from getting one by keeping the cavity clean.

Painkillers with Ibuprofen in them are the best non-prescription drug for toothache.

15. Dr. Lecter

Dr. Lecter Member

There are only 3 real solutions to tooth pain. And they are Vicodin, Vicodin and Vicodin!

16. TheMoroccan

TheMoroccan Super Un known

Go see a dentist, no matter..

All solutions would be only temporary..

If it hurts at night.. expect a root canal..

If it hurts only when ya drink something cold, breathe.. then, that's another reason to go see a dentist the sooner ya can before the germs infiltrate the Pulp.. there, it will hurt more..

a teasing solution, :) come see me.. I'll fill it for you for free.. seriously! :)
    seriously teasin' [​IMG]

Peace..