Tom Robbins

Discussion in 'Humor Books' started by pink floyd, May 14, 2004.

1. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

He should write articles instead of stringing his brilliant rants with withered plots drenched in predictable sex. IMO. Also, 'Invalids' was a who-o-o-ole lotta withered plot!

2. alex714

alex714 To the Left

i tried reading villa incognito...but i just couldnt get into it.
    i expected to though, because ive heard such great things about him.

3. karmagonnagetya

karmagonnagetya Member

i've only read skinny legs and all so far

4. Valis_77

Valis_77 Member

Ooooh...I love Tom Robbins!! I think Another Roadside Attraction and Skinny Legs are my favourites right now. Whenever I'm feeling really down and disconnected, reading his books make everything seem magic again!!

I love the abstract writing and the poetry. People say he's hard to read but I don't think so. You just have to read him a different way. Let him take you on a ride. Like reading "Beautiful Losers" by Leonard Cohen.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

Don't let that discourage you. I am a huge fan, and even I thought the beginning of that one was a bit tedious.

Try Still Life, or Jitterbug Perfume. I'm rather fond of Fierce Invalids, too. :)

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

ditto here. I slogged though the first part. it ties together.

7. flying_spoo420

flying_spoo420 Member

Tom Robbins is an ingenius writer with such a creative style of writing I've never seen before. The best one I've read so far is 'Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates', our character switters in condemned to a wheel chair most of the time, who falls inlove with a nun, and fights the Roman Catholic church, and everything else under the sun. I just finished reading "Only Cowgirl's get the Blues", our main character sissy hankshaw travels by hitchiking and ends up at a ranch full of cowgirls and not cows, but goats. Anyone here heard of him?

8. *electrica*

*electrica* Member

I'm currently reading Still Life With Woodpecker by him. And I named my cat Bonanza Jellybean after Even Cowgirls Get the Blues. I love him.

9. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

Sing if you're glad to be gay

10. sweetersappe

sweetersappe Member

Tom Robbins is a favorite of mine as well. I currently have Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas on my night stand. :)

11. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

Shut UP! As if your cat is Bonanza Jellybean... MY cat is named Bonanza Jellybean! lol.

12. drumminmama

Sax machine, is it possible for you to post useful comments? If not, sod off.

Blackie is right, although Cowgirls was the weakest book imo.
    here is one thread with a link to another thread.
    http://hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101366

I really like Tom's spin on Terrance McKenna. I had the pleasure of being at a TR reading for Villa, and we own several tapes of TM's rants (alien dreamtime being a wonderful one) and now I can hear this blended voice in some characters.

13. EternalHunter

EternalHunter Member

Robbins is definetly one of my favorite writers. Turn around Norman has to be one of the best characters ever invented. Still Life with Woodpecker!!! Jitterbug Perfume!!!

14. Levi

Levi Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Oh, I was just trying to make my brain remember for sure if he wrote Jitterbug Perfume! I read that a very long time ago and I loved it. It's the kind of thing I could certainly read again.

I enjoyed Still Life With Woodpecker. I don't think I finished Even Cowgirls Get the Blues. It just didn't grab me.

15. KMartt

KMartt Member

Sure, I've heard of Tom Robbins....even met him once....at a book signing. Does that count? Anyway, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "Another Roadside Attraction". I think it's his first, and having read all of his books, it's the one I read again the most. Turn-Around Norman is a great character (what do you do on Wednesdays?), but, for my reading money, Plucky Purcell is my favorite

YSP

16. drumminmama

you are very lucky, Senor.
    Not lucky, Plucky.

17. Bocks

Bocks Senior Member

I've almost finished my first Tom Robbins book--Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas. I love the eccentric style he uses. Are all of his books in the second person?

18. drumminmama

he uses it heavily, bocks

and there is an Another Roadside Attraction THREAD, Kmart

I met him at a signing, too. wierd dude.

19. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

I've read all the tom Robbins books and that makes me sad. :(

20. drumminmama

even the short story/ article collection?