Tom Robbins

Discussion in 'Humor Books' started by pink floyd, May 14, 2004.

1. pink floyd

pink floyd carousing&ransacking

hey, does anyone else read any Tom Robbins? i think he is an amazing writer - incredibly witty. my favorite is "jitterbug perfume", i would recommend it to anyone! you guys have any favorites?

2. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

actually my favourite is jitterbug perfume as well

the second would have to be skinny legs and all.

he is feckin brilliant!!!!!!!!!

3. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

Isin't it Jitterbug that has that HOT blow job scene? Possibly the most erotic I have ever read?

I liked Villa Incognito, but was not too pleased with Fierce Invalids. (His two most recent novels.)

4. kayatree

kayatree Member

I always thought his best book was his first... "Another Roadside Attraction".

I swear I wouldn't be where I am now (mentally, I mean) if I hadn't read that book in high school. It really changed my life. :)

I dunno about that scene Wander... did you read "Still Life With Woodpecker"? Pretty hot...

with love,
    kayatree

5. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

"Another Roadside Attraction" was his first book, I think. First one I read, and it's my favorite. Oh, to eat out a gypsie girl! Tis my dream.

6. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

I LOVE Tom Robbins!!!!!!!! He is my all time favorite author. His writing is funny and very insightful as well. he's just great great great!

7. plainjanepatchwork

plainjanepatchwork Member

I love Tom Robbins too! Still Life with Woodpecker was the first Robbins book I read. Ralph Nader is in it. So whacky and such a quick read. Great books!

8. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Another Roadside Attraction is def. my favorite. Jitterbug Perfume very close second. Kudra is awesome!

9. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

Yeah, Kudra was a sock-rocker for me. Indian girls are sooo hot. Which reminds me, what's the name of that Indian chick on ER?

10. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

i liked fierce invalids. thought it was hilarious

and yes that scene is in jitterbug! i read it time and time again.
    oh what a feeling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. pink floyd

pink floyd carousing&ransacking

i loved PAN in jitterbug! what a freakin perfect character!! his smelly goatness... heee heheh damn and robbins can sure write a sex scene. i love how raunchy he can get. [​IMG]

12. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

any man who worships long red hair is aces in my book.
    The fact that he warps your mind around his lingual lamp post really ices the cake for me.

what IS his hang up with anal, tho?
    drumminmama
    a red cousin it with a beat

13. kayatree

kayatree Member

LOL... for real!?

kayatree

14. Dolphin~Rider

Dolphin~Rider Member

Skinny Legs and All is my fave! I think I'll read it again-it's been so long-and it's such a cool and original book.

15. chime

chime Member

i have found that people either love tom robbins or hate him. he is a pretty hard read, after all, and kinda hard for some people to slog through. personally, he my favorite author. jitterbug and skinny legs have to be my favorite, but to just have one book to read over and over and find some new layer every time i have to say still life with a woodpecker has to be the most complicated. i haven't gotten my hands on villa yet.

16. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

I agree. I don't think he's topped Roadside either, although Jitterbug comes close. That book changed my life, too, but I didn't read it till I was in college, and you were probably in diapers. (Damn!! Am I getting old, or something?) My least favorite of his novels is Still Life. Especially in the post-9/11 era, I just can't relate to a heroic Mad Bomber...But I do wanna try that thing with the cap full of gasoline and the gallon glass jug sometime, though!

17. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

another roadside attraction was the first one i read. it was phenomenal. i swear i cant say enough about this man. i would marry him and have little robbins if i could.
    i liked jitterbug most though because it was so fun. and back to that blowjob scene. whew wee. made me hard, lol

18. celeste

celeste Member

Did he write 'Even Cowgirls Get the Blues'?

19. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Yes, he did write "even cowgirls get the blues".

20. dhs

dhs Senior Member

As a red head I have a great fondness for Still life