Today's Recipe

Discussion in 'Munchie Recipes' started by ~Zen~, Apr 27, 2021.

1. It doesn't compare to yours but I'm making homemade chicken and noodles today..

~Zen~ likes this.
  2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Dang I made it on Thursday! I love home made soups... have you ever had a creamy Chicken Chipotle soup? I think that's next :)

Witoutit likes this.
  3. ~Zen~

I have sent Igor to the market on this Saturday morning... let's see what he brings back before I do the next menu. After all, it all depends on what you have at hand.

4. No but it sounds delicious. I got the recipe for Creamy Pesto and it's awesome too.

~Zen~ likes this.
  5. talon66

talon66 Members

[​IMG]

~Zen~ likes this.
  6. ~Zen~

That looks great!

7. ~Zen~

Pumpkin Soup!!!

From this:
    IMG_20220603_151307.jpg

To this, cut in half and the seeds scooped out:
    IMG_20220603_151406.jpg

We end up with this delicious creamy soup :)
    IMG_20220605_124724.jpg

DrRainbow likes this.
  8. ~Zen~

The recipe for Pumpkin Soup:

Cut open the pumpkin and remove the seeds.

I like to steam the pumpkin as it is easier to scoop out the meat after it is cooked, than to peel the hard skin off a raw pumpkin.

Cut the pumpkin into chunks and load them into a pot with steamer basket inserted. Add a peeled onion cut into quarters, and a peeled clove of garlic.
    Steam until soft, 25 - 45 minutes. Save the steaming water for use in the soup.

After this cools enough to handle, you can scoop out the meat of the pumpkin from the skin, which you then discard or compost

Put the onion garlic and pumpkin into your food processor or blender and pulse until smooth.

Add this to your favorite soup pot with some of the water from steaming, or use vegetable of chicken broth if you prefer. Stirring frequently, bring to a simmer and adjust the flavor with salt and pepper, a tablespoon of sugar and a dash of nutmeg.

Thin the soup to the proper consistency with either heavy cream, or coconut milk.

I like the coconut milk version best :)

And now it's done.

Serve it up either steaming hot, or chilled.

Provecho!

DrRainbow likes this.
  9. princess peedge

princess peedge Members

I love me some huevos rancheros, but this looks next level!!! I'm going to make this!

~Zen~ likes this.
  10. ~Zen~

There is some mighty fine food to find in Baja Sur, and Mexico in general.

11. ~Zen~

Mexican Soups!

Tortilla soup (Spanish: sopa de tortilla) is a traditional Mexican soup made of fried corn tortilla pieces, submerged into a broth of tomato, garlic, onion, and chile de árbol and epazote. It is served with pieces of pasilla chiles, chicharrón, avocado, fresh cheese cubes and sour cream. Although the exact origin of tortilla soup is unknown, it is known that it comes from the Mexico City area in Mexico. Traditional tortilla soup is made with chicken broth combined with roasted tomatoes, onion, garlic, chiles and tortillas, cut into strips and fried. There are some variations, for example the broth being made with a thickened tomato base and ground tortillas or a bean soup enriched with crunchy strips of fried tortillas.

Pozole (Spanish pronunciation: [po'sole]; from Nahuatl languages: pozoll , meaning "Cacahuazintle" a variety of Corn or Maize) is a traditional soup or stew from Mexican cuisine. It is made from hominy with meat (typically pork, but possibly chicken), and can be seasoned and garnished with shredded lettuce or cabbage, chile peppers, onion, garlic, radishes, avocado, salsa or limes. Known in Mesoamerica since the pre-Columbian era, today the stew is common across Mexico and neighboring countries, and is served both as a day-to-day meal and as a festive dish.

The caldo Xóchitl is a Mexican traditional soup consisting of a chicken broth that is poured into a bowl dish with shredded chicken and pieces of avocado, cilantro, tomato, green serrano pepper and onion. The shredded chicken has been cooked in water with salt in order to make the light broth.

Caldo tlalpeño is a chicken and vegetable soup in Mexican cuisine which contains chicken meat, and chickpeas, carrots, and green beans, submerged in a chicken broth with garlic and onion, seasoned with epazote, cumin and chipotle chili. It is served with avocado slices and diced cheese, and accompanied with lime and fried tortilla chips.

Mole de olla is a Mexican traditional soup. It is made of xoconostle, squash, zucchini, green beans, corn, potato, chambarete and aguja meat, submerged into a broth of chile guajillo and chile pasilla, seasoned with garlic, onion, and epazote. It is served with pieces of chopped serrano pepper and lemon. The term mole means a mix of ingredients or sauce.

12. princess peedge

princess peedge Members

I love both Mexican food and seafood, so there is no way I could begin to argue this point. Mexico is definitely a food crawl destination for me. I feel like maybe 10% of Mexican cuisine makes it north of the border. Yeah, who doesn't like a good taco, but there is so much more to Mexican.

Last summer I came in second in a chili cooking competition by taking inspiration from the way they marinate and tenderize turkey in the Yucatan and made a turkey chili with lime, lemon, orange--both juice and zest--and cilantro. I even made my own orange crema. It was fire!!!

I shoul've won first place. The winning dish didn't even follow the rules, but I promise I'm not bitter

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
    ~Zen~ and Toker like this.