Tobacco about as addicting as marijuana?

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by Stan, May 11, 2004.

1. Stan

Stan Member

Is this just me or is it like this for other people? I know it's physically addicting, but I've smoked up to 10 ciggartes and a few cigars at partys and I never seem to get addicted.. and I'll smoke an occasional cig while in my cheap ass sauna or during a bath or whatever. But I've never gotten ADDICTED to them. Just about as addicted as someone would be to pot, psychological. I just do it at partys/bath/sauna/ect. Just relaxes me a bit, and just the act of smoking is fun.

2. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

haha i dont feel like explaining anything but i can tell you cigs are way more addicted than marijuana. i think the to most addictive drugs are the two that are legal.

3. Shamrock

Shamrock Member

buddy... there are thousands of legal drugs.

4. TreePhiend

TreePhiend Member

Yeah, I know from personal experience that cigarettes are FAR more addictive than marijuana.

I used to smoke cigs for about 3 years and finally quit. I wanted to quit them after about 2 years and finally did. I smoked like 1/2 pack a day during the peak of my habit. I felt like I had to have a cig just to feel normal and when you don't have one for a long time, afterwards you are like I NEED to smoke, like when your on a plane or a train.

With MJ I have smoked for 3.5 years pretty regularly, several times a day on average. I smoke MJ because I enjoy getting high and that is the "psychological addiction" if one day, I decided I didn't like getting high anymore, I would have no problems quitting or feeling "normal" without it. Whenever a MJ drought comes up I don't feel a overwhelming feeling of craving for MJ, like cigs can do.

I have even heard claims that somehow tobacco is more addictive than heroin or some shit like that, but I don't know about the credibility of that. Anyway, the point is, tobacco is fucking addictive. Marijuana is far less addictive than caffeine.

5. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

nicotine is way more addicting than pot. you probably didn't smoke cigaretts long or consistently enough to get addicted. i wouldn't recommend it.

fuck cigarettes

6. nesta

nesta Banned

you can smoke everyday for a couple weeks and not get addicted in some cases...but you smoke long enough, and eventually it will get you. i was like that...a few here and there, eventually once or twice every other day....then eventually 1/2-1 pack a day. it just gets worse from there. i quit after being hooked for a short while (maybe almost a year) and stuck to it mostly, but every now and again i still have a few hits off a cigarette...

7. Peace

yes but im talking about actual recognized "drugs" that dont have any positive medicinal affect and used mainly for medical purposes. im talking about recognized drugs that people use to have a good time.

8. TreePhiend

TreePhiend Member

So would I be correct to assume that caffine and fly agragic are the legal drugs you speak of?

9. DharmaBum

DharmaBum Old Guard

the Nicotene in Cigarettes is More addictive than heroin..and that's pretty much an accepted fact these day's..the withdrawal symptom's with heroin just happen to be a hell of alot worse.

10. porkstock41

do you mean to say "im NOT talking about actual recognized "drugs" that dont have any positive medicinal affect and used mainly for medical purposes." and that "i AM talking about recognized drugs that people use to have a good time."

i'm confused

11. porkstock41

in this post, are you talking about alcohol and tobacco?

12. porkstock41

what is fly aragic?

edit: ooh, i like how my quote doesn't quote the quote you made like the old forums, if that makes any sense.

13. UTcolorchangn420

UTcolorchangn420 Member

Fly aragic is a mushroom, it's the red one with white dots.

edit: and yes porkstock, I see what you mean about the quotes, that is kinda helpful.

14. porkstock41

never heard of it. what does it do, make you trip? it's legal?

15. bertrose

bertrose Member

I don't like the idea of something being "addictive" anything can be seriously addicting if u do something for the wrong reason. If u do something to make u feel good and do it EVERY time you need to feel good, u will be addicted and it will be impossible to quit. If u smoke one or two cigs...ur not necessarily going to be addicted. BUT, if u smoke cigs whenever ur stressed out like most people do...ur likely to be addicted to them.

There is one guy in the like 70s that was addicted to running, he ran and ran until he died as a result of his heart going to fast and just suddenly stopping. If u eat because it relieves stress or whatever ur going to become obese...

If u do any drug with the thought of something other than stress reliever or to feel good...just to do it, or something to do with friends...i doubt you'll become addicted...

peace

16. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

There is a term called "addictive personality". I don't think this guy has it. Cigarrettes have been proven to be 10x's more addicting than mj. MJ is NOT physically addictive.......possibly mentally addictive, but so are chocolate and reality shows for some people. I have been smoking mj for 16 years and have never felt an uncontrollable "urge" to smoke mj when I didn't have any. Unlike my 10 year addiction to nicotine. Before I finally quit smoking, I can remember how nasty I would become if I needed a smoke and couldn't light one up. I was also a REAL asshole the first 3 weeks I was without a smoke while trying to quit.

17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there is such a thing as psychological addiction and such a thing as physiological addiction. most people who just 'HAVE' to have something are a little of both.

as for relative (physiological) addictiveness, tobacco is one of the most addictive substances known to the human species, second only to the opiates in addictiveness. canibus on the other hand is probably the LEAST physicly addictive substance that is noticably neurotropic. though mary jane like tobacco are only marganaly nurotropic at that (unless you eat a whole lot of magic brownies like i once did). smoking has some of the same health issues as smoking anything else though, lung and troat irritation specificly and health complications that arrise from them, or from them when in combination with high psychological stress.
    it isn't that the herb is harmLESS, but it IS less harmFUL then a lot of other things. alcohaul and tobacco included, which are of course perfectly lawful in the u.s.
    now i HAVE seen people rot their brain from overdoing it, but even that less often then with alcohaul!
    and you CAN die from an o.d. on alkie (i knew personaly someone who die), but i've yet to hear of anyone doing so on pot!

18. TreePhiend

TreePhiend Member

Yes is does make you trip and it is legal. But it is not as pleasent or powerful as a psilocybin mushroom. Most people don't like it, but some do. Look up Amnita Muscaria or Fly Argaric (same thing two names) on www.Erowid.org

19. Stan

Stan Member

Regardless of having an addictive personality.. Shouldn't I feel the physical addiction after a weekend of smoking like 10 ciggaretes and 4ish cigars a day over 2 days? I figure that's a shit load of nicotine and at the end of the weekend I was afraid I'd get addicted. No such thing happened, woke up the next day and didn't need anything throughout the day.

20. Peace

yes, i guess i kind of messed myself up. i totally forgot about pharms too [​IMG] silly me. but yeah i was talking about alchohol and tobaco