To The Members of "Christian Hippies"

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Lilyrayne, May 9, 2004.

1. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

This thread is for people who were regulars in my private forum, "Christian Hippies".

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you know that I informed Skip that I was a supporter, so hopefully the private forums will be back up again soon. In the meantime, how about if everyone checks in here? Since we all had to re-register and all.

-Bree

2. spinelli

spinelli Member

Bree, I never did get around to ur private forum
    but Im very interested in the concept
    how exactly would u describe a christian hippie?

3. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Well... a hippie-type person that believes in God! LOL

I personally believe that being a "hippie" isn't about what religion you pratice or even what political side you're on. It's about basic fundamental beliefs: love, acceptance... advocation of peace... etc. There are a lot of other people who feel the same way, we had a LOT of Christian hippies as members of the forum. Some people even say Jesus was a hippie. :)

So many people think that part of being a hippie is being pagan or wiccan and left-wing. Not so. Just because at times that seems to be what the majority of "hippies" are, doesn't mean that those are defining traits. Actually, part of being a hippie is NOT succumbing to stereotyping! So that's why I don't base my definition of whether or not someone is a "hippie" solely on political or religious beliefs.

A note to all: don't anyone turn this into a debate thread, ok? Let's let it be a friendly thread.

4. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

P.S. I wish all the forums hadn't been erased so you could have seen some of the wonderful threads that were on Christian Hippies. We had our share of not so wonderful ones as well, but there were lots of really cool ones.

Hopefully when the personal forums are back up, there will be more administrative options to make it easier for the forum to be what it was meant to be. (Those who were regulars know what I am talking about)

5. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

So anyone who beileves in "God" would be a Christian? You might want to inform all the other religions about that one. I think the Jews, in particular, might take issue with your "definition".

A Christian would be somebody who follows the teachings of Christ, and believes that Christ was the son of God, was sent to earth to die for humanity's "sins", and will return again in the future.

Simply believing in a "God" does not make one a Christian....

6. spinelli

spinelli Member

ahh, happy, happy joy joy

7. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Oh technicalities!

Ok.. since you're right, lemme rephrase that...

"A hippie-type person that follows Christ"

How's that?

8. moominmamma

moominmamma Member

Glad to find you all in amongst the new forums,which at the moment remind me of a cross between airport reception and a dentists waiting room.............

Just wanted to say how much I was enjoying Christian Hippies just prior to the old forums crashing, there was a togetherness about the forum that was really working,

love to you all

Momminmamma

9. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Hey moominmama!!! **hugs** Glad to see ya found us!

10. EllisDTripp

At least it's ACCURATE. :)

And some may not see it so much as a "technicality", but as one more example of Xtianity assuming it is the only religion that exists....

11. chickabean

chickabean Senior Member

ello!!! ahhh...i am longingly awaiting the renewal of christain hippes..didnt post a great deal but really appreciate the forum :) got something amazing to share, some of you might have read it before, sorry its so long, well worth reading though :)
    love luchi xxx

The vision?

The vision is JESUS – obsessively, dangerously, undeniably Jesus.

The vision is an army of young people. You see bones? I see an army.

And they are FREE from materialism.

They laugh at 9-5 little prisons.

They could eat caviar on Monday ands crusts on Tuesday.

They wouldn’t even notice.

They know the meaning of the matrix, the way the west was won.

They are mobile like the wind, they belong to the nations.

They need no passport. People write their addresses in pencil and wonder at their strange existence.

They are free yet they are slaves of the hurting and dirty and dying.

What is the vision?

The vision is holiness that hurts the eyes. It makes children laugh and adults angry. It gave up the game of minimum integrity long ago to reach for the stars. It scorns the good and strains for the best. It is dangerously pure.

Light flickers from every secret motive, every private conversation.

It loves people away from suicide leaps, their Satan games.

This is an army that will lay down its life for the cause.

A million times a day its soldiers

Choose to lose

That they might one day win

The great ‘Well done’ of faithful sons and daughters.

Such heroes are as radical on Monday morning as Sunday night. They don’t need fame from names. Instead they grin quietly upwards and hear the crowds chanting again and again: ‘COME ON!’

And this is the sound of the underground

The whisper of history on the making

Foundations shaking

Revolutionaries dreaming once again

Mystery is scheming in whispers

Conspiracy is breathing…

This is the sound of the underground

And the army is discipl(in)ed.

Young people who beat their bodies into submission.

Every soldier would take a bullet for his comrade at arms.

The tattoo on their backs boasts ‘For me to live is Christ and to die is gain’.

Sacrifice fuels the fire of victory in their upward eyes.

Winners.

Martyrs.

Who can stop them?

Can hormones hold them back?

Can failure succeed?

Can fear scare them or death kill them?

And the generation prays

Like a dying man

With groans beyond talking,

With warriors cries, sulphuric tears and

With great barrow loads of laughter!

Waiting. Watching:24-7-365

Whatever it takes they will give:

Breaking the rules.

Shaking mediocrity from its cosy little hide.

Laying down their rights and their precious little wrongs, laughing at labels, fasting essentials.

The advertisers cannot mould them.

Hollywood cannot hold them.

Peer pressure is powerless to shake their resolve at late night parties before the cockerel cries.

They are incredibly cool, dangerously attractive inside.

On the outside? They hardly care.

They wear clothes to communicate and celebrate but never to hide.

Would they surrender their image or popularity?

They would lay down their very lives – swap seats with the man on death row – guilty as hell.

A throne for an electric chair.

With blood and sweat and many tears, with sleepless nights and fruitless days, they pray as if it all depends on god and live as if it all depends on them.

Their DNA chooses JESUS. (He breathes out, they breathe in.)

Their subconscious sings. They had a blood transfusion with Jesus.

Their words make demons scream in shopping centres.

Don’t you hear them coming?

Herald the weirdo’s!

Summon the losers and the freaks.

Here come the frightened and forgotten with fire in their eyes.

They walk tall and trees applaud, skyscrapers bow, mountains are dwarfed by these children of another dimension.

Their prayers summon the hounds of heaven and invoke the ancient dream of Eden.

And this vision will be. It will come to pass; it will come easily; it will come soon.

How do I know? Because it is the longing of creation itself, the groaning of the spirit, the very dream of God.

My tomorrow is his today.

My distant hope is his 3D

And my feeble, whispered, faithless prayer invokes a thunderous, resounding, bone shaking great ‘Amen!’ from countless angels from heroes of the faith, from Christ himself. And he is the original dreamer, the ultimate winner.

Guaranteed.

12. Juiceman3000

Juiceman3000 Banned

Wow,

Is that really 'just one more example' Ellis?

Since we are being 'accurate' could you please keep your teaching and correcting tone going and let me know where in Christian Doctrines, The Bible, Church traditions etc, that Christians 'assume' to be the only religion that exists?

Could it be that her post was clearly and unmistakably directed from one Christian to other Christians and obviously the readers new what God and what belief the context was in?

Now when we post in a Christian forum, discussing Christianity are we really going to have to 'Qualify' every statement with (that is... 'OUR' God not saying there isnt others..)

If we dont will you feel the need to 'supermoderate' by jumping in with insult posts and sarcasm like that one?

Come on!

Absolutely no one was confused or 'assuming no other religion exists'.
    No one.

13. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Cool post, Chickabean!

And, thanks for that, Juiceman. :)

14. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

Well, maybe this is a good time to try to jumpstart a thoughtful discussion about Christianity and ecology. Here’s an excellent article by Dean Ohlman, who’s been "beating this drum" for years:

http://www.antithesis.com/features/hearing.html

This cover story from Outside Magazine, featuring my friend Peter Illyn, is also very good:

http://www.outsidemagazine.com/magazine/200103/200103christian1.html

Peter heads a group called Restoring Eden, which focuses on protecting wilderness and tribal cultures:

http://www.restoringeden.org/png.htm

He recently gave this lively sermon at our church:

http://www.imagodeicommunity.com/mp3/03-28-04.mp3

15. EllisDTripp

When you post in a "Christian" forum, of course not. But this thread is in the "Philosophy and Religion" forum, NOT a specifically Christian forum. Once one gets set up, obviously assumptions will be different in there, like they are in the rest of the "special interest group" forums.

Nope. But you continue your obnoxious ways, and I'll "supermoderate" you right out of here, like we did at the old forums....

Would that include the person who had to ask what a "Christian hippie" was in the first place? :)

16. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

I also started this thread specifically for the members of Christian Hippies with the hope that it would have the same air as the personal forum did. I was hoping that mutual respect would be given.

You may be a moderator but you seem to be causing trouble, not preventing it.

17. EllisDTripp

You can "hope" all you want, but it is still a thread in a public forum. You can control the "air" in a private forum, but not a public one....

I was not "disrespecting" anyone. Simply bringing up what seemed to be a rather glaring example of "disrespect" (or at least disregard) for non-Christian religions....

Generating debate and discussion does NOT equate to "causing trouble", especially in public forums. When you have your private space back, feel free to dictate acceptable content, thought, and expression however you see fit. Until then, you'll just have to deal with it.....

18. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

Hey, Ellis, your real gripe seems to be with Jesus and the rather bold claims he made about himself. "Christians" have historically been defined as people who accept those claims of his to be true. I have trouble believing that you're so shocked to learn that "Christian Hippies" affirm basic Christian tenets. Does your "respect" only extend to fellow relativists?

19. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Well, Ellis, I accept that your opinion is your opinion. :) Welcome to the discussion, and thank you for participating. :)

Same goes for the rest of ya's.

20. EllisDTripp

The claim that I disputed was that anyone who believes in "God" is a Christian. Can you show me where JC made THAT claim? I did not address any of the claims that JC made about himself or God.

Since when is it a basic Christian tenet that anyone who believes in "God" is a Christian. Again, THAT is the point I disputed.