To Start From Dirt

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Lainey, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Lainey

Lainey Member

hi.
    my names elaine.
    i come froma fucked up home. i have no choice but to leave.
    I have very - very little money, and no car.

ok you GRAND HIPPIES

advice to survive?

My first plan is to Amtrak to Chicago from St.Louis, because I have a friend who will let me in for a few weeks.
    And Lord, Chicago is full of life.
    Oh, and I'm 16.5 years old.

2. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Banned

Kan't b that bad, yoh iz got ah lot uv time to sitt arround and type this bull on duh 16 an 1/2 year ol computer.

3. Lainey

Lainey Member

believe me, its that bad

4. Ryver

Ryver Member

Oh hey. I live right on St.Louis.

5. Shambhala Peace

Shambhala Peace Senior Member

Running away from home is a drastic option for something that is usually temporary.
    Why run away when you only have 1 1/2 years left at home? Just stick it out, get your diploma and go to college. Trust me, you WILL regret it. You can't get anything without a high school degree, and as a 16 year old, people are going to have a hard time hiring you if you aren't in school.
    If someone is beating you, molesting you or someother atrocious thing, then go to the authorities! No matter what excuse you give for not doing so, it's not a good one. People are there to help you. It's their job.
    But if it's just normal teen-age anger and frustration...it will pass. Running away is not worth it. Trust me, I know. Talk with a mentor or a teacher. There has to be someone in your life who can help you through this rough patch.

Remember, everything is temporary and static. Don't do anything that you will regret for the rest of your life.

6. Lainey

Lainey Member

wrong advice..

SERIOUSLLLLLLYYYYYY!

People, I may be 16, but im really like 152.

Don't baby talk me and dont make me explane the situation.

I just want to know a good way to make easy money, because I'd rather not be twirling in bars.

Or maybe you know some good shelters

7. Lainey

Lainey Member

so maybe u could by the train ticket cause i believe u gotta be 18 :p

8. KyndVeggie4Peace

KyndVeggie4Peace -[ in.bloom ]-

Honestly ... I have been through the same phases as you. It's just teenage angst ... believe it or not. I stayed at home and dealt with the anger, the rage, the depression, the holplessness ... It's normal! :D really it is. If I ran away from home every time I 'wanted' to ... I would be homless in jeresy. No joke.

I know how you feel ... I was there. More times than I would like to admit. The best advise I could give is to just suck it up, get your diploma and then run away. I was fortunate enough to graduate ... I have my diploma, and that means alot! I shows that I was capable, I was able o persever ... I was STRONG. It showed me that I COULD make it, I had the power to make m own decisions. I would hate to hear that a beautiful shining soul such as yourself dropped out.

This world is all about working and jobs ... it sucks! I don't agree with it. But that's just how it is. So really ... stick with it. Your soon Free!!!!!!

Best wishies to you dear Lainey ... your in my thoughts and prayers ... I know you have the power within yourself to make it through. :)

9. Lainey

Lainey Member

i give up on you ignorants.

thanks for nothing

10. KyndVeggie4Peace

KyndVeggie4Peace -[ in.bloom ]-

11. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

she didn't get what she wanted to hear, so she got her knickers in a twist (go see her other posts: I see a lot of ego but MAAAAAAAAN)
    is this what you want to hear
    "OK, sugar, go run away and find some sugar daddy to take care of you because all men are nice and they won't rape you ar anything, or pimp you out. No one will steal the coat off your back.you are so right to run away with no plan or means of support because the world is just hunky dory and you will always have things go your way?"

Screw that. Sister, GROW UP. Twirling on a pole eats your soul and if all this crappy government can do is protect a 16 y-o girl, then they should do it.

if you have to split, look up the Farm. But a foster home that will get you your education will be better.

12. Shambhala Peace

Obviously you are closed to help. That's all that Kynd and I were trying to do. It's NORMAL. Teenage-dom passes quickly. You will shake your head and laugh OR not even remember it. If I remembered every single time I wanted to run away...well...that's a waste of brain space.

Drumminmama is right. You didn't hear what you wanted to hear. Sorry I'm being a voice of reason. Shame on me.

13. prismatism

prismatism loves you

if you want to go out into the world by yourself, 16 years old, without a highschool education, the very LEAST you can do is learn how to be nice.

being nice will save your life. it has saved mine quite a few times.

telling others they're not as mature as you is almost always a sign of immaturity in yourself. if you think you're better than us, why are you asking us for advice? you might THINK you're ahead of the game, we all do at some point, but there is SO MUCH you don't know. now, you can either get angry at me, or you can reread what i wrote without judgement and either accept it as true or tell me why you disagree. which will help you grow?

i know how it feels to think you absolutely HAVE TO run away, i have left home three times. in retrospect, i still think it was wrong for my mom to do what she did (i don't want to tell the story...) and i think it was wrong for my stepdad to choke me, and it was wrong for them to do everything else they did which i won't get into right now. but i know that I am at least PARTLY to blame. are your parents/whoever it is hurting you, physically? if you tell us WHY you have to leave, it might help us understand.

if you leave, try to have a job and a place to stay (even if its only for a week) set up beforehand. despite what people say, hitchhiking and doing oddjobs and such IS possible and you can live that way, if you're in a situation like i was once when my parents had unplugged the phone so i couldn't call the police and i was scared to sleep in the same house as them. but it is dangerous. weigh your options.

14. lalalamort

lalalamort Fucked up upstairs

where exactly is she typing this from anyway?

15. Lainey

Lainey Member

im running from running
    and what i want
    is a place to stop running

raped
    beatin
    loved this
    lost that
    given this, stolen that
    jumpn states dashin boarders
    sober here wasted there
    fake families and fucked up friends
    diseases overdoses and seizures
    dead heros born heros
    lost for dayz.. no money no phone ..food..shoes
    ive been to hell and back 12 times

i must be saint ive had so many doggm miracles

and please, forgive the attitude
    ive been so nice for so long
    and suddenly its been impassible to keep it up

and yeah work sucks i know

andi have a job, and a job withn a job, i dont want to go anywhere where i cant get a job
    and yeah yeah i'll get my diploma n shit, fuck yeah im going to college

A PROBLEM IN THE WORLD TODAY IS THAT THE WORLD IS BIAS

I guess after hearing about all of the hippies who live on foot, maybe there was a secret to it all. Like maybe it can really happen, that i could have a simple life.

but then when i ask for that

ALL I GET

ARE A BUNCH OF GROWN HOODLUMS

LOOKING AT ME WITH THIS UGLY SYMPOTHY THAT I AM SO YOUNG AND SO DUMB
    THAT I DONT KNOW WHAT THE REAL WORLD IS LIKE
    THAT I HAVENT PAYD MY OWN BILLS OR STITCHED MY OWN WOUNDS

THAT I HAVE EMO FUCKINGN PROBLEMS

give me a break

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus

BY THE WAY

im typing this from my mothers computer

and NO

shes not biological

o

and i gave up sex long ago

because i know

that my own respect is worth hellas more than any money ..clothes drugs cds and whatnot

16. Crosslight

Crosslight Banned

To hear a 16 years old girl saying "I gave up sex long ago", makes me wonder about the great difference between "making love" and "having sex"...at that age most people are still virgin......but you are absolutly right when you say that your own respect worth more than anything.....

17. Shambhala Peace

Okay.
    I'm a stupid adult that completely skipped over my teenage years.

I didn't watch my best friend get taken away from me because her uncle raped her on numerous occasions. I didn't have a person in authority take advantage of me. I wasn't verbal abused on a daily basis by teachers, students and my parents.

Silly me! I imagined all of that!

You're right. I'm a hoodlum (according to dictionary.com: A gangster; a thug. ... cool! I'm hardcore!), who thinks you're dumb (though I never said or thought it...strange), and generally just don't get it.

You asked in the original post: "Any advice on how to survive?"

I offered my advice. It's not worth it. Whatever is happening will pass. Unless you are being raped and beaten (in which case, you need to report it), just suck it up and deal with it. If it was "impassible" (impossible) to deal with, no one would make it to adulthood. We are all screwed up because of childhood through teen-age years.

As bad as it sounds, I'm gonna say it. This post reminds me of ones I've seen all over the internet. The "I'm gonna commit suicide now, I've had enough." It's a cry for help and we are offering you our help. We don't want you to run away. Not because we hate you and want you to stay at home and suffer. But because we know that 1) it will be over soon enough. 2) you could find yourself in a worse situation where you have no options. Honestly, if you were serious about this, you wouldn't have posted. You would have just done it.

Okay. I am going to stop now. I don't expect you to understand that I am in your corner. But if you continue to lash out at people (like you have been, considering I haven't been nasty to you), you will find that your support is going to run very thin.

18. Lainey

Lainey Member

you shouldnt take things so personally

Pardon my misuse of language.
    And for being impatient with the answers that i got.

I thought I did, but guess not, say that I truly appreciate what you had to say. About staying home, or finding help, and so forth.

Thing is, you speak as if i am one of those suicide teens, but I'm not.
    Far, far from it.
    I know, I've been there too. I've had my hard times in school and dealing with teachers aand students. Plenty. I've had boyfriends and girlfriends, band camp and cheer camp.. then went home crying and cutting myself bc o boo hoo he broke up with me and i hate my life and aaaaowwhwaoa.

This is not that case.
    I've seen counselors, at school, out of school, best friends, moms, i've talked.
    But tell you what, the best counselor is right inside myself.

I can help my own self better than anybody else anyday.

And I have and I do.

That is why I'm not crying right now, or asking for that kind of help.

The kind of help that i need right now
    is from anybody who has an kind of experience
    of sleeping in the streets, and picking it up from there.

Obviously, I picked the absolute wrong place to go for help.

All apologies.

19. Shambhala Peace

I don't take things personally. I am just sad that you feel so set on running away. I don't group you in with the suicide teens, I just used that as an example for the type of post this is.

You are obviously an intelligent person. You are right. Sometimes the only person you can rely on is yourself. Good. Just continue forward and in another year and a half you will be gone forever. Lots of my friends stay in Boston over the summer because they would rather be there than home. It's an option. I just don't want to see you throw such a valuable life away. What if something happens, and you aren't able to get back to school? You keep putting it off? Unfortunately, to operate in today's society, the only way to make a difference is to get a college degree. You get that degree - you put some of you passionate and great idea's to work. Make a change. Help other people who are in similar situations as youself. Use this time as motivation to improve life for those around you in the future. I just want to see you get the tools that you need to make that impact.
    Good Luck.

20. Crosslight

Crosslight Banned

I've lived on the road, i've slept under the Pont Neuf in Paris, Vondellpark in Amsterdam was once my home sweet home......but i feel that nothing i could say right now would be of any help for you.....the "next day" of someone sleeping in the streets depends of who he/she is gonna meet.....one thing I can tell you - when you wake up, all you can think about is breakfast........