To spay or not to spay

Discussion in 'Animal Advocates Support' started by Indica.Skye, Oct 25, 2008.

1. OldTroll

OldTroll Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

LMAO
    Tobias - - you are too funny,
    and I do agree that
    your teenager style personal attacks
    have little content!

Government legislation
    has little to do with
    how I live my life.​

2. Tobias

Tobias Member

Proof in point, you really are a troll and a complete waste of time...

Laugh on, laughing boy and in the meantime I will pray for any animal that may be under your perverse control.

3. OldTroll

OldTroll Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hopefully your god will protect the stupid humans as well as the innocent animals. Then you'll be safe.

One of the oldest rules of internet behavior is Do Not Feed The Trolls, so this is my last post pointed at you. You are now on the old Troll's ignore list .... but please continue with your attacks ... they make me laugh and my friends enjoy them.

A big wet kiss on the mouth for you from the Troll

4. zillagod

zillagod Member

Without reading any other posts, I just wanted to reply to this. This is BS. It does not break a dog's spirit, just as it doesnt break a man's spirit when he has a vasectomy. For the owner to consider wether to spay or nueter, it is a responsible choice to wether they want to take responsibility if puppies become involved. What breaks a dog's spirit more is losing the puppies to the pound, or elsewhere. Now, if you are cruel enough to not care about your dog and you are in it for breeding purposes only, well, thats your choice. But I think that if you are just Joe Public, spaying or nuetring is the right choice, unless you want puppies.

5. Tisha

Tisha Member

YES companion animals should be spayed/neutered! Pet overpopulation is a terrible problem and animals are killed in shelters every day because there are not enough homes for them. Many also die on the streets. I know a lot of people with un-altered animals who end up with litters of kittens or puppies. What happens to these babies? Usually they are given away (FREE KITTENS) or sold. There is no telling what kind of life they have...but for every animal born, another dies homeless somewhere or in a shelter. My cats have all been "fixed" and their personalities were unchanged (my cats were all rescues, too, in case anyone was wondering.

6. vigilanteherbalist2

vigilanteherbalist2 Senior Member

please spay and neuter your pets. if you do it when they are young they recover within a day, it is worth the small amount of discomfort that they experience. it is the right and responsible thing to do, and it prevents cancer and other disease!

7. Alison Wonderland

Alison Wonderland Member

as far as I'm concerned... human beings went ahead and exerted ourselves over all the other animals on the planet..... WE'RE the ones who DOMESTICATED them.... THEREFORE we now are the ones who should take responsibility and TAKE CARE OF THEM! and if that means getting them spayed or neutered the so be it... they can't exactly make the conscious decision to NOT have a litter of 6-12 puppies or kittens... it's not like a human teenage girl choosing to get pregnant or being irresponsible and not using protection which in turn is a conscious decision to get pregnant. I'm young (22) and IIIIII "accidentally" got pregnant but knew if that happened I was ready to care for a child for the rest of my life. NO DOG CAN DECIDE TO PRODUCE AND CARE FOR AND FEED AND "TRAIN" HALF A DOZEN KIDS!!!

yes, spaying a female dog is the same as giving a woman a hysterectomy(of uterus and ovaries!) as well as neutering a dog is removing its testicles... yet if that animal was not intended not to have offspring at all then it doesn't need those organs for anything! the animal doesn't miss them, they still live a full, happy and healthy life!

that AND i did half of a vet assistant course(yes half still teaches you the textbook stuff but no hands on, and i left because they're the worst paid nurses around so i didn't continue wasting my money)
    ANYWAY, It's not so much cancer that they worry about, but a condition called pyometra which is an inflammation of the uterus and ovaries and is extremely painful and if left untreated can my very harmful to the animal.
    and
    because they're ANIMALS they don't immediatly say "mommy my belly hurts" they hide it until they can't hide it any longer because the pain gets the best of them... it's instinct...

UNLESS they're drugged, in which case they'll be dopey and floppy and sleepy and a little sad because they don't understand the idea of drugs altering them.

if your dog was shivering she may have been cold, or very confused, when an animal gets altered they heal quickly and are given plenty of antibiotics and pain medication so all you have to do is give it to them and the BABY THEM LIKE THERE'S NO TOMORROW! just because they're your baby and if your child needed an operation in their best interest you would do the same.

i wasn't even going to have much input... but i guess i said what i know.

my dog is spayed, and she was a little off after her surgery too... but after a couple days she was back to herself and she's happy and healthy and doesn't need to go into heat every month and cry over how she isn't gettin any... once the hormones are gone the instinct is gone. she'd have been sadder with a heat cycle than she is now while running after a ball for hours and getting old without getting a painful condidion that happens more often with age... and more dangerous with age.

and she loves life, so that's just my two cents.

everyone's opinion is different... but if you can insure your un-altered animal will NEVER come in contact with the other sex... sure let him keep his balls... but he may be more agressive, more likely to mark territory on your stuff and possibly guests... as well as hump them... but other than that... go for it. I'm just saying he won't miss them.

8. largeamount

largeamount Senior Member

what it comes down to is the owners unhealthy need to be in control over another living thing. You force a being that is supposed to be your companion to get its ability to reproduce physically removed? These are exactly the type of people i keep my distance from because they are stuck in an ass backwards competitive mind state that makes them horribly unappealing. If your dog still had semen producing balls it would bite yours off!

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Um. No.

Let me give you an example.

I have a cat that is a little over a year old. I decided not to have her spayed because she is strictly an indoor cat and at the time it didn't seem neccessary to me. However, she has been in a heat cycle since last spring so I have decided to get her spayed soon. I do not feel like I am taking away her spirit or torturing her by getting her fixed. Conversely, by spaying her I am removing the torture she goes through every few weeks by going in and out of heat.

The same applies to male dogs and cats. If a male animal cannot have sex and fulfill their animal desire, they will live in torture their entire male adult life.

Its not cruel to take away an animal's ability to reproduce if they will not be reproducing within their lifetime anyways. And thats only provided the owner is very responsible and never allows their animals to be in a situation where they could conceive. Its even worse when you allow your unfixed animals to run wild and produce offspring that will more than likely end up being killed in an animal shelter.

10. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

get your animals fixed, and while you're at it, get yourselves fixed

11. binsky

binsky Guest

Living in the house with a female cat who isn't spayed is no fun. My 12-year-old cat's personality is fine after having been spayed when she was around 2.

I'd never declaw a cat though.

12. Alison Wonderland

Alison Wonderland Member

I also would NEVER declaw a cat (or dog) it's extremely cruel and unnecessary. there are MANY ways to get your cat to not scratch people or furniture... declawing is NEVER a good idea. it's like removing the tips of your fingers from the first knuckle down...
    Unlike their gonads... they NEED their claws

13. neone

neone Member

How would YOU like it if somebody stole your womb?! They deserve to love their children just as much as we do! Theres too many people in the world but i dont see us spaying people who arent being responsible with their testicles and wombs!

We should just let nature take its course and it will work itself out.

14. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

cats routinely kill their own kittens and those of other cats; they will also stop feeding sick kittens

you need to volunteer in an animal shelter - afterward, tell us what you think

15. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

:iagree:
    Yes, it will. Usually with mass die offs due to disease and starvation. Nature is not like a Disney movie.

16. binsky

binsky Guest

If only it were up to me...

17. Who__Dey85

Who__Dey85 Guest

Personally, I would never want to get the old snippy snip. However, I feel it is a necessary task today. The dog and cat population in this country, and elsewhere, is unbelievably high. To be honest, if you really don't want your pet to produce offspring, than go ahead and do it. It does help reduce population. And you are doing your part to build a stronger society of animals. It helps cut back on the number of unwanted animals. In turn, cuts back on the number of unhealthy stray animals. You are actually helping.

As for the dog's spirit, I don't believe that. I am a huge animal rights advocate and I think they are a lot more intelligent than we give them credit for. But in reality, your dog probably doesn't even know what has happened. Yes, it is/was in pain. But it will heal and forget all about the problems. Its spirit will heal.

As for making the dog healthier, I have never heard that before. But a quick google search resulted in a few discussions about this. And some claim that it reduces that amount of complications that can occur in the dog's body. Less anatomy=less chance of complications. Which makes sense. But I really can't verify this.

Don't worry about it man. You did the right thing in my opinion.

18. Pigsonthewing

Pigsonthewing Member

If you're not going to breed it, than why not fix it?
    All my dogs have been fixed.

19. RainbowUnicorn

RainbowUnicorn Member

Well, all three of my pets are fixed--Merlin and Lucky are both neutered, and Shadow is spayed--and all of them are doing just fine! If you don't spay and neuter your pets, they have more of a chance of getting cancer or some other horrible thing--I know from experience--Shadow had pyometra when she was 6 years old--needless to say, she had to be spayed--and if you don't know what pyometra is, it means her uterus was infected--it had all kinds of nasty stuff in there, and it was making her sick! Once she had the operation, she was a whole lot better! She's 18 now and still going strong! As for the boys, I had Merlin neutered when he was a puppy--he was 5 months old when he had his surgery, and he came through it just fine--he's 8 years old now and he's still the same loveable goofball that he always was! And my other cat, Lucky, was neutered shortly after I took him in three years ago--he was 1 year old at the time--he's 4 years old now, and he's doing just fine!

20. weaverc12

weaverc12 Member

getting your pet spayed/neutered could save lives long term:)