to drop out or not to drop out

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by Cate8, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

Im facing a conflict right now on whether I should return to finish my course next year.

Choice A is:
    -Return to program next year.
    -I was elected as Director of Awareness for Student Union, so they would put 4000$ towards my tuition (i would have 500-1000$ or so to pay myself still), plus its a paying, sweet as job
    -I would finish the two year program.
    -I would(hopefully) try and get a place in downtown toronto with these two art chicks who are doing school downtown in the art district. So hopefully, if that worked out, I woul live in a sweet area and commute to school.

Choice B is:
    -Just leave school
    -Get myself transportation of some sort
    -take some art classes, more liberally, instead of a fullout college program
    -have a job
    -go to festies
    -live in a better part of the country
    -take ecology or some sort course when im ready to return to school

The reason I feel so conflicted is I REALLY dont like my program. I feel little to no passion about it and the main reason Id be returning is because of the job. I dont know if that is enough to validate returning. Im basically going insane here because the town is so barren, just straight suburbs for miles around, I feel so clautrophobic because I live in a house I dont really feel is 'mine' since i live with 8 roomates and a landlord the whole year, I dont have the means to go anywhere for a retreat of some sort for any fun or clarity, Im just not digging it t all. I dont feel cu tout for what Im doing. I kind of freak out if any sort of restrictions are put on my actions. Also, Im still living off my parents this first year away. Its just all not what I want. So im not sure if i will go completely crazy next year if I return. Cause I feel unhappy, very unhappy about it now. I havnt been able to find stable contentment in wat im doing here all year. So yeah.

If you read all this, I THANK YOU! Any input would be fabulous because I am just so lost. My parents would not in any way support me to leave this program next year so I also feel pressured againt what my heart wants. Sheesh!

2. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

haha it was therapeutic in some ways to write this out.

I dont believe Ill drop out. As long as I have a spontaneous adventerous summer Im sure Ill be calmer to settle down and finish the second (and last year) of my program. I have alot of things going for me if I do.

Im in a broadcast journalism program and though I dont believe I want to do news, I think it will really really be beneficial for me in the world, if my interests are conservation, worldly goings on, animals, etc. I just need to keep my eye on the prize. Bob Hunter was a journalist before he founded greenpeace, and kept it up. Thats pretty good inspiration huh?

3. schwahead

schwahead Senior Member

by a passport come to the states travel around and go to school for something else

4. StayLoose1011

StayLoose1011 Senior Member

Rock on. Party it up this summer and you'll be ready to settle down for a little while. The program will be whatever you make of it, and from your last post it sounds like you are inspired and that is all you need :)

5. HI-C

HI-C Member

do what ever makes you happy you only live once

6. jimaug87

jimaug87 Member

from your origonal post i would say do either, as long as thier is a plan. watever you do dont drift. some people like to just float along in life, but you need to have a destination and a reasonable way to get there.

from your second post it sound slike your having a better day. i would stick with it, see where it goes. party hard this summer and just finish it up. while your working your sweet job, you can look around to see if there is anything better

7. lovejanisandgrace

lovejanisandgrace Estimated Prophet

Go wherever the wind blows you. Sometimes you have to do what's right for you at the time and FUCK the future.
    Because then the future gets here and it wasn't at all like you planned it to be.

8. spooner

spooner is done.

suck it up princess and finish.

i mean, its these moments that say a hell of a lot about your character.

9. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

Its every moment that says alot about our characters. Including random posts on internet

10. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

And yes, I am a princess, thank you :)

11. spooner

spooner is done.

:rolleyes:

Somehow I don't think a five second post while taking a break from studying for my LSATS says a lot about my character.

12. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

Hahahaha. Oh well :p Youre a cool guy.

13. Mr_Nest

Mr_Nest Member

Hey, I'd say stick with it. You're already halfway there, it would be a waste to not finish. Just look at it this way- it's only a year and you have so many left afterwards to do whatever, and the degree will be a real help someday. If you can improve your living situation then that will definitely help. Also, I've been in school for 6 years and I'm not giving up so you have no excuse, ha!:party:

14. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

hahaha okay point taken! Yah long story short I realized its pointless to keep on doubting and rethinking my self because id rather accomplosh something with goals in mind then always backtracking and wondering what if....and im pretty pumped now too, just needed a little clarity

15. wizarddrew77

wizarddrew77 The Wiz

Get a Camper and come to Woodstock and take Art Classes at The Woodstock School Of Art. Get a Part Time job working as a Forest Ranger or work in any of the Retail Hippie or New Age Stores since your well educated on all of that knowledge.

16. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

Cool :D

Well, it turns out I stayed and I am happy with it, but yes I need to tune back into my wild nature child self in the summer when I am finished. That sounds like an *awesome* time at woodstock .