To drink or not to drink

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by earthmother, Dec 2, 2006.

1. toakie

toakie Member

recognizing that some people consider the main circle special is not really hiding what you do plus keeping beer in a cup could mean the difference of someone who is trying to be sober relapsing or staying dry

or it could mean, you're a lush, sot, or a drunkard, but anyway you look at it, having alcohol at main circle is very heavy frowed upon :oops:

2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I voiced my opinion much earlier on this thread,but I'd like to say this:There are many,many of us that went thru the 60s-70s that cannot attend rainbow gatherings for one reason or another=life gets in the way somehow. We follow your gatherings and I for one am glad there are those of you that keep the life going. We are there in spirit.But when I hear alcohol is a part of the gatherings--that the boozers are acting exactly like boozers do everywhere-muggings ,shooting,beating people up--it is really disappointing. Many of us that went thru the life changing psychedelic era were trying to get away from the foolishness and misery that alcohol can and does bring to those around the boozers. To maybe heal up from the most ubiquitous ,socially accepted form of self destruction. I don't get it.Is it the 60s live and let live tolerance for allowing this destructive behaviour year after year? Do your own thing-- all is well? I think sometimes in life--lines HAVE to be drawn. HAVE to. I wouldn't think that the priciples of rainbow or just human nature,for that matter,of taking control of your gatherings and ridding yourselves of destructive people(boozers) would in any way be construed as inimical to a rainbow way of life. I just don't get it. Why would hard core boozers want to be there in the first place? I wish I didn't have to hear about their bullshit any more --but I suppose I will. Balls anyone? Anyone?

3. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

they believe they have purpose ... so i've heard

4. scratcho

Well,the purpose seems to be evident. To get drunk,raise hell and fuck shit up. It's never been any differant has it? Of course I'm just an outsider so what I think doesn't mean much.

5. pathmakrnottakr

pathmakrnottakr Guest

agreed. i was resonding to this post:
    Originally Posted by wootier [​IMG]
    i think there should b an option between bringing kegs to main circle and hding ure beer...but im gunna have to go with bringing kegs to main circle because i wont hide wat i do, ever

when i was talking about putting beer in another container i was speaking generally. also that main circle is special and recognising that by NOT bringing booze there was not hiding who you are. now you see what i was sayin

6. Fireball

Fireball Member

I like to drink here and there, and sometimes at a gathering if I feel like tossin back a few shots, I do. But I'm not going to go to ACamp to do it. I have no probs with most of ACamp, but I've found that there are a few mommas there that would rather not have me there, so why start problems, right? I think most of the aggro problems in ACamp comes from herding a buncha drunks into one area, and telling them they all have to stay in that one camp, no matter how much some of them can't seem to get along. Just my two cents.

7. Svi

Svi Member

8. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Why don't you step in then? Only a few days can be a huge help. It helped you, didn't it? Help it back....

9. scratcho

I have no knowledge of how gatherings work. I don't understand what you mean. Just the knowledge that folks are still keeping some of the life going prompted me to voice my opinion. My blood family had many troubles because of alcohol,myself included. I suppose alcohol is good for the capitalist economy what with all the money that changes hands over car wrecks,divorces,assaults,medical bills arrests,killings,along with the price of booze itself.And all the rest of it. I voiced my opinion because it saddens me to think those that continue the gatherings have to tolerate alcoholic BS. But I'm no one to "tell" anyone what to do ,let alone do anything to influence gatherings. I'm just an old guy with an opinion. Like the VN vets used to say-don't mean shit. Carry on.

10. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

No, it always means something.

11. sonoran sam

sonoran sam Member

not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic...actually very few are when one considers how many imbibers there are in the world. we seem to get more than the average population because of what we are and stand for, an open society that welcomes anyone without question or hesitation.

12. onelegedmatt

onelegedmatt Guest

well hmm wow this is a long thred i almost odnt want to contribute to the drama my feeling is theres to mutch drama in thw woods and the fmaily becos we all know each other to well
    my bigest peobablem is that i never hear we love you echoed back and forth through the woods wen its yelled any more even when a hole camp does it there will be all sorts of responses huffing glue fucking you in your neck and i was a we love you kid man it was beautiful and i belive this sinasism is a direct result of all the drinking and street kids that came in en mass all the drugies and partiers are a result of the music sean the festivals kids and well the 60's lol ok iv drank in the woods last year at nationals we had the jewish kitchen /camp atatched for shabat thay do a ritual caled kidish where thay pas a cup of whine we partook of that sacred ritual evrey shabat one knight tho i must admit i got a space bag and we all got gloriosley drunk out side the kitchen in dirty kid corner and there was a probablem one of our frends got cought macking out with our other frends whife there where words exchenged between them and a cople blows witch where excepted by the guy doing the kissing of the whife and it wa all over for the most part becides the longer lasting bad feelings somthing like that will cause but that cind of stuff hapins with out the alchicoll all the time in the woods respect is right respect me enuff as a brother to not make out with my woman ever it wasnt me this hapined to but im saying you know respect me or you or us enuff to ceep it on the dl ic seen cases of handles spun at main circle noe cool glass bottles broken in main circle fire pit melting in to the ground aluminum cans breaking doun in the fire do the same as the aluminium there spraying from there planes when thay leave the chem trails famiy raise the ph of the soil and stop the plants form growing over time evreything we do has an impact evreything no mater how hard we try to fill in that fire pit theres an indention forever there or the trailes or the shitteres the same can be sead about impresions on people and booz is a probablem in this famly and the world as a whole alwase has ben so is crack and meth and heroin recognize and except the truth dont defend what you know to be false just becos you need to be right or no blamable for what you liek to do just becos it feels good or whatever dont make it right or good so be real you all know me im with shut up & eat it where dirty shwag kids but we feed good food and were all trying to become beter people arnt we you nd me and us together if your an alckaholis you know it and you know its not good for you if your a crack head you know it and you know its not good for you denial is a bitch family i except that my vices arnt good for me or you and shold not be made to look as if thay are ok respect

13. indydude

indydude Senior Member

Gatherings are a place for healing. Maybe that's the reason we have A campers. We gotta have a hand out for anybelly that wants help. I've seen hard drinkers get healed they just have to want it. Cant help them if theyre not ready. Support the Wharf Rats if they're still around. Their cool, have a blast and party and help each other.