To drink or not to drink

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by earthmother, Dec 2, 2006.

1. bekyboo52

bekyboo52 52~unknown~52

k, i've never been to a rainbow gathering (but i want to go), and id probably (i dont know) have 2 be at a kids village or something (im 15) but i voted on the a-camp thing because it seems like this is something important so if there is alcohol then it should be in a designated area, im not against drinking at all in general (in case you care my mum lets me drink with her and sometimes my friends , you were a kid once, u know) but if its somthing meaningful then, well you know my opinion.... :D

2. bekyboo52

bekyboo52 52~unknown~52

also when i do get drunk with my friends i actually dont turn out to be an asshole, i end up being the one who tells the assholes to sit down, relax, and have some coffee......... :D

3. Lolli

Lolli Visitor

I think as adults we should be able to chose out own path. I think as members of a global society we should consider how those choices may affect those around us, and act accordingly. Drinking a few is cool. Drinking to the point of a coma is silly. Chose wisely.

4. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

I don't think that people drinking to the point of coma is the problem...

5. TheSystemOrange

TheSystemOrange Member

Alcohol goes against everything the Rainbow Gathering stands for. period.

6. Jarvis_mobly

Jarvis_mobly Member

As a recovered alcoholic I don't really condone in drinking but one or two beers here and there isn't that bad... to me it's like "What's the point of it?". I say Keep a good purpose in all things.

7. captaindreadlock

captaindreadlock Member

booze blows IMO lolol especially at a gathering

8. vasik

vasik Member

Drink is fine with me.

9. acupuncturejeff

acupuncturejeff Member

Alcohol is a bad idea. It starts fights, as I saw last year with that one camp, I forget their name, that drank and bunch and their was a fight in their camp.
    I have already heard that there is alot of alcohol at this year's gathering and also have heard that CALM, the hospital of the Gathering, has been treating alcohol related issues. I think CALM has enough to deal with and dealing with alcohol related issues takes away from others getting quality care.
    I think it is a selfish act to bring it to the Gathering

10. asfd9

asfd9 Member

It needs to be low key and kept more in camp. I have been with a group that puts on wiccan/pagan fests for 15 years. The only time we had a problem with alcohol was when one night some people made a picnic table into a "bar". There was a lot of hard alcohol being consumed. Also they "invited" some of the older teens to enjoy as well. That was stopped quickly. I did not attend the national in Arkansas, but I'm probably thinking that the rainbow fests are much like a wiccan fest. If someone is passing a wine bottle around, that's fine. But those who get drunk and stay that way should be removed.

11. cattiecat

cattiecat Member

its a time to connect with our mother and have a peaceful spiritual experience alcohol has a dark spirit of it own...and i would rather experience a natural high with out the negative withdrawls and crappy feelings that alcohol bring to the body for letting it in...and when it leaves your body you are left without a part of you and a hollow feeling...i will stick with water and maybe some sparkling water that is my beer...

12. Rainbow Randy

Rainbow Randy Guest

The problem with it is, alcoholics drink...that's ALL they do. Drinking contributes nothing positive in any way or form to gatherings. All I hear is yelling and fighting, everything's on the edge. People passing a bottle of whiskey around a drum circle makes them go arye. lol no pun intended. But seriously family...A-Camp will one day not exist at nationals gatherings if they keep it up. Tell me, have you ever heard a story about good things happening at A-Camp? I hear Rape, Fighting, Murder. I personally don't need any association with such things when people hear Rainbow Family. Keep good names and Good faiths, get rid of the disgrace! LOVIN YOU FAMILY!

13. NewAeon93

NewAeon93 Member

I drink at main circle cuz im not an asshole when i drink. Deal.

14. Huyhak

Huyhak Member

The prob I have is I make my own wine at times. The wine is made from collected wild berries and organic and lovingly grown grape set up. I see nothing wrong in sharing the fruits of that labor with kindred spirits. I do see something wrong with the A campers that carry guns, beat people up, tear down tents, threaten incoming kids, and etc... So I guess it goes to intent and outcome. The passing of wine has been a long standing peace tradition that unfortunately can be ruined by negative spirits.

15. seeker

seeker Member

How about the a-camp trash at Shawnee taking everybody's stuff and shooting the guy in the leg?

"Woo hoo let's all get sheet faced! Give me yer beer punk!"

I vote no alcohol at all, because if it is allowed at all, then people will push it, and we will wind up with a bunch of drunks causing problems. Decent drinkers already drink discreetly in their tents anyway, and always will. I have never seen anything that stays at a-camp besides very nasty, trashy people.

I'm not a full-blood rainbow or hippie, so don't give me the "accept everybody" bullshit.

Drinking causes problems.

16. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

To each their own. If they want alcohol, then I guess that's their choice.

Me, I don't drink alcohol. Once in a great while I might have a little bit of wine. And that's it.

17. toakie

toakie Member

1972 consensus is, NO ALCOHOL at main circle, or in gathering site, & if you can't abide by consesus, then STAY home.........

18. pathmakrnottakr

pathmakrnottakr Guest

recognizing that some people consider the main circle special is not really hiding what you do plus keeping beer in a cup could mean the difference of someone who is trying to be sober relapsing or staying dry

19. pathmakrnottakr

pathmakrnottakr Guest

consensus isnt law its a group decision making process. laws are hidden behind and usually are in the favor of the law maker instead of the people who are being governed, a consensus is the ability for any individual to create reform.and i think peoples opinions have changed since 1972. there is nothing wrong with front gate or drinking on the road. i would wrather my shwilly brothers n sisters to be at the gates of heaven than on some street corner. i mean i could live without the booze but this message is mean.

20. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Senior Member

It's cool, I don't mind, as long it's under control