To be British

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by UFO, May 15, 2004.

1. UFO

UFO Banned

Remember,
    To be British is to belong to the most exclusive club in the world.

2. Power_13

Power_13 insult ninja

I don't want to be part of any club that would accept me as a member.

3. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

Exclusive? No doubt, not not in a good way. We have, in many ways, quite an exclusivist society....

4. fizzy_elf

fizzy_elf Member

really? why, then i feel honoured *bows* :)

5. miabubble

miabubble Member

I wasnt British to begin with and now I am... it's not that hard to become British...

6. Mintaoism

Mintaoism Member

hello every one. i should think i should say hello down there becuase scotland is better ( sorry more north) than england.

hello down there.

Don't you think tony blair is an idiot?

7. Peace-Phoenix

I don't think he's an idiot, I think he's a very intelligent man. But I do think he's rather misguided in his affiliations, and a blatant sell-out....

8. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

woooooooow...fuck you! unless thats a cleverly placed ironic comment to test us...yeaaahhh right on man!

9. sonik

sonik Member

UFO was/is a great British band!

:cool:

10. Peace-Phoenix

Depends what colour your skin is I'd say, and in some cases the size of your bank balance....

11. miabubble

miabubble Member

we had no money, and i still get bother for being Russian... its just different I guess... I can never feel at home anywhere becasue people either think of me as 'The Russian Girl' or as the 'British girl" (when i'm in Russia) but those two places... both of hich were my home... I don't feel at home in anymore.. :(

12. sonik

sonik Member

13. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

Are you sure? Despite all the right-wing propaganda we have to put up with, we have an extremely successful multicultural society, and we have a liberal tradition of welcoming outsiders. Britain is the place many migrants choose to come and live because of this.

And we are a nation of immigrants anyway - our language and culture is a glorious mishmash of different elements from all around northern Europe. In the past fifty or so years, we've integrated Indian and Pakistani culture, the culture of migrants from the West-Indies ... at the moment we're in the process of assimilating Muslim / arabic culture. I for one welcome Eastern Europeans finding a welcome home in Britain over the next few years given the recent expansion of Europe! Britain is not static or exclusive. That's a false stereotype.

14. kier

kier I R Baboon

if it's so exclusive and stuff...can i sell my membership?

i offer anyone the chance to be brittish to the highest bidder

i think i'll be kieran from now on....is that ok?

:D

15. flowerchild17

flowerchild17 I practice safe sax.

Theres' not hope for me... I'm Ukrainian and living in America! Damn it all... I still drink tons of tea though but I can't have fish and chips considering I'm allergic to fish :p

16. Dizzy Man

Dizzy Man Member

Why does everyone hate Tony Blair? What's he supposed to have done wrong? Save the Iraqi people from a brutal reign of terror that saw millions tortured and executed? How was that wrong? Tony Blair has saved countless lives. If you think laws are more important than lives then you're an idiot. People are what matters, and he did the right thing, he did what had to be done, regardless of how unpopular it made him. To me, he's a hero.

17. Claire

Claire Senior Member

erm... saved Iragi people from being tortured and executed... have you not read the news about what the US soldiers have recently been accused of?

Clairexxxx

18. kier

kier I R Baboon

hate is too strong a word...he is better than conservative governments in my opinion, but i preffer the green party and RESPECT :)

19. Dizzy Man

Dizzy Man Member

Yeah, that's all Tony Blair's fault! And a few rogue soldiers torturing a few prisoners is much worse than an evil man in power who routinely tortured and killed large numbers of people.

20. Claire

Claire Senior Member

Where did i say it was Tony Blairs fault?:confused: ... you have an unhealthy obsession me thinks;)

I am not saying the US soldiers in question were worse than Saddam....

I am saying they were wrong... as was Saddam.

Please pay attention to what I actually say... much appreciated :)

We would be naive to think the US "liberated Iraq" out of an humanitarian motivation... if that had been the case why did they (and the UK) back Saddam for so long?

...and why continue to back Israel?

I would appreciate your views...