to all you 'old hippies' ...

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by cerridwen, Jan 18, 2005.

1. teepi

teepi living my dream

LOVE YOU TOO TARABELLE!!! I always enjoy you.
    teepi

2. nightwind

nightwind Member

I love all the "new" young hippies. Being a 'hippie' a state of mind. I feel like many are there to enjoy the ride and to learn. Most of whom I meet are very articulate, good at heart and want so badly to change the Western mindset from this corrupt, materialistic, militaristic mode it's been in for generations. It's a death trip we seem to be on. I'm so very glad that there is a new generation with the hopes and plans for change. I firmly believe that mankind as a species is doomed if we don't change and soon. One of my favorite quotes:

"Either war is obsolete, or humans are." Buckminster Fuller

I just keep wondering where are all the protesters? Guess the casualty counts aren't high enough to make people sick yet. Either that or Bush is stifling free speech more than we know. We're losing our rights here people little by little. Bush = Big Brother?

3. Rebel_1

Rebel_1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I agree with you, it is amazing the people who dont understand. People on other parts of the forum are always telling me I dont understand, maybe I dont everything. To me being hippy is like you say about what is inside, a persons attitude on matter's. I like to think that its more about love, peace, freedom,clean air, clean earth, being against all the senceless violence and against the greed in corporate america.

Like I say though, I have people tell me that im wrong and that hippies are just people who wear there hair long,make there clothes, wear bead jewelry, do drugs, are dirty and listen to music from the sixties. I think if they belive this they are missing the point, to me this part is just a lifestyle some hippy's choose. To me it is like you have said, it is whats inside that defines hippy.

4. measa420

measa420 Member

well i consider myself a hippie ihave been on the road hitch-hiking since i was 15 and i have seen sooo much ( beautiful people beautiful earth ect.) i couldnt think of a more wonderful life i respect everyone for who they are but dont get me wrong i will lose respect not love respect if you hurt my family or friends but everyone will always have a place in my heart

knowledge is something someone teaches you

wisdom is something you learn

5. mimosa

mimosa Banned

this made me think of a couple of things (good points you made, BTW)...one is something I read that states until there is a draft, people won't get riled enough. Well, a draft could happen and then the sparks will fly. Also even my ultra conservative dad is getting kind of sensible in his old age and has actually expressed sentiments similar to things I feel re:antiwar, and he loves to tell the neo-cons what he thinks. From what I've read there are many like him, who've been there and think this current "conflict" is wrong. So don't give up hope. Not that we can't all put our 2 cents in too. I always do.
    Keep on keepin on....

6. the_sweet

the_sweet Member

aslong as nobody is relying on their clothing and the fact they smoke pot to give them a Hippy status then I don't see a problem with us crazy kids injecting a little love and peace and respect into our lives. I don't think I could call myself a hippy because I believe it was an era that is passed and can't be repeated, if I was living in the era I'd be a Hippy but currently I guess I'm just a positive person who looks after herself, others and the earth as much as possible. I inherited most of it from my parents who were a big part of the hippy movement (I practically grew up in a commune, gotta love the hippy parents). We need a new term for what we are now, I can feel a revolution against the bad vibes brewing. Maybe we don't need to be labelled at all. Or maybe the fact I've only had an hours sleep is making me ramble on for far too long. Well whatever it is and whatever's happening, it's good and I can think of far worse ways for us kids to behave than having Hippy tendencies.

7. nightwind

nightwind Member

The funny thing is, there is a draft in a couple of different ways. It's just not outright going to be called a draft this time directly, because of what happened during the Viet nam war.
    There is a "backdoor" draft in effect and also deeply embedded within the no child left behind (NCLB) act there is a section (pg 71 if I remember correctly) concerning the fact that your child is available to be courted by the recruiters. All of your child's personal information is given to the Pentagon by LAW now and unless, you as a parent are aware of this (most aren't) your child can be accosted at school, their home, their hangouts etc. by recruiters who will make the military option sound soooo inviting.
    Parents can avert this scenarion by writing directly to the school and stating that they do NOT give permission for the school to give any information about their child to the Pentagon. BTW, by law each family is supposed to be given a letter regarding this, but I have been surprised at how many parents are unaware of this provision in the NCLB act. The Feds are being real subversive this time around!!!!

8. Internity

Internity Member

hey, i guess i am a "neo-hippy" even though i dont really dress "hippieish" i dress the way i feel, i love free spirits, i stick up for my oppinions, mostly about war, our goverment,racism and music, i would definitly be in a march back in the 60's, nomatter how beaten up i woulda gotten, its so wrong how people can treat one another, i believe in peace and love all the way, as the beatles first qouted." with our love, we can save the world, its up to you." is defintly true, has anyone noticed that this goverment of ours is trying to protect us here in america while their killing a lot more humans and wild life in a different country??..its so wrong, even though i do love metal and death metal, i dont follow it, even if its not peacefull, it still is fun to rock out to and have a good time,...i think racism is the worst thing anyone can do, to me its even worse than to kill someone, and if i know someone who is racist i tell them its wrong,(even though it doesnt proces through their head) i beleive standing up for what you believe in , is the best thing anyone could ever do, trust me their listening. hopefully i will make a great difference someday, u can too, but oh, haha. oppsidaisy, back to my question...would i be called a neo- hippy or poser? i dont know any hippies, so, i have no idea...thanks for listening...peace and love be with you. STOP THE WAR......SAVE LIVES...

9. riversong

riversong Member

ah, i love that Papillon! and the picture likes it came it from the Gathering - beautiful!!
    bring on the revolution - may our weapons be loving kindness and joy and faith and determination and joy . . . Never Surrender!

10. mimosa

mimosa Banned

internity, you sound cool just how you are....don't worry about being labelled. I don't even like the hippie label, coz it's too limiting. just keep on, i like your thoughts.