*TMI ALERT* Swallowing Phlegm *TMI ALERT*

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Jimbee68, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I have a cold now. I got my flu shot, but of course that doesn't protect against a cold. But I think I am getting over it.

Anyways, I have a kind of dilemma that comes from having my cold, believe it or not. (This is where the TMI alert comes in.) When I am awake, I often have to blow my nose. But sometimes when I am in bed resting, that is just not an easy option. So I draw in the mucous the other direction, and swallow my phlegm. (I told you it would be graphic.)

I have been doing this since I was a kid. And so far, it seems harmless enough. But one time as a kid, I got a nasty stomach virus that followed. And I always wondered if that was due to swallowing phlegm.

Actually, I enjoy swallowing phlegm. Kind of like I do popping zits, I suppose.

But (and this would be great for any doctors on these boards): Should I do it?

Thank you in advance for all your kindly and civil replies:grinning:.

:smiley::smiley::smiley:

2. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

You have nothing to worry about, we swallow saliva all day.
    Respiratory fluids are alkaline and if anything, neutralize stomach acids which would kill bacteria that thrive in an alkaline environment. It is possible that swallowing large quantities of phlegm on an empty stomach could make you feel slightly nauseous. but it would not cause the infection.

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

have you ever read a hipforums thread before? this is the tamest TMI i've ever seen here.

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Snort that shit and swallow. :D
    Nothing your guts can't handle. You've digested worse. :p