Tips on taking dreads out?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Guest543, May 9, 2007.

1. Guest543

Guest543 Member

Alright, I've decided I'm redoing my dreads. I have really thick hair, and only 24 dreads. Part of me really doesn't wanna redo them, but part of me does... so I think I'm going with the part that does.

My dreads are only 10 days old, so it shouldn't be too hard, right? Any tips to maybe make my de-dreading experience a bit easier?

2. HippieAdrien

HippieAdrien Member

oh good. i thought for a second you were getting rid of them for good. but from what i hear, umm soak them in conditioner and shower or something like that. but it will still probably take a few days to get it all done

3. Guest543

Guest543 Member

No, I'm definitely redoing them. There's just a few things I'm not very happy with, like the placement of the dreads (My Mom basically made it so the roots of one dread are directly above the roots of the other.. so there's space in between.), the thickness has been worrying me, a lot of people said that my dreads would for sure end up a good bit bigger than nickel size. I'll put pics up tomorrow.

I really can't make up my mind though. I've already grown way attached to them even though they're only 10 days old, haha.

4. Slang

Slang Banned

That's a bummer, dude.
    Though I'm not sure I quite get what you mean by:
    "basically made it so the roots of one dread are directly above the roots of the other.. so there's space in between."

imo it'd be better to sit on the idea a while longer, weigh the pros and cons

5. Malphas

Malphas Member

Probably better to do it two weeks in if your not happy with 'em.. Would suck if you had a real complex about them 6months to a year down the line.. Atleast if they were smaller you could combine some and stuff like that.. But if your attached to them, think about it carefully..

6. HippieAdrien

HippieAdrien Member

yeah. what malphas said. chances are, some dreads will split up, you've only had them for a week. but i understand the whole only being 24 of them. even if some split up, you mgiht not still have too many. i have at least 30 and i'm grateful for the number. but seriously, if you really like them, think it over ALOT before you do anything rash

7. WorldPeace

WorldPeace Senior Member

Use lots of conditioner and comb while they're wet, a fork seems to work well. And when you redo them , I'd make like at least 35 locks, because you'd probably hate the space between otherwise , if you want them thicker later you can always let them congo. And don't make two locks aboven eachother , place them like this:

x x x x x x
    .x x x x x
    x x x x x x

Peaceee

8. Guest543

Guest543 Member

9. knotdirty

knotdirty Over the Rainbow

Yeah, there are going to be big spaces in between those.

Just Load v05 conditioner on them, let it sit for about an hour, try and get a comb through it, then rinse and brush it out.

Afterwards, just start washing your hair with Doc Bronners...Let it get un-silkified/unconditioned for a while...just let it breathe a few days before you re-dread.

Why not go natural this time? I know that I wish I'd gone completely natural instead of just the back of my head...and it's a pain in the ass to backcomb. I'd never wish that on anybody two times around.

10. Guest543

Guest543 Member

The problems with me going natural are that I have straight, oily, really soft hair. Before I started my dreads, I'd brush my hair once a week or so, and had almost no problem brushing it ever. Plus, Knowing my luck, I'd go natural and get the worst dreads ever.

11. HippieAdrien

HippieAdrien Member

quit being such a pessimist, man. i say just give redoing them a shot and be patient.

12. Guest543

Guest543 Member

Yea, I'm gonna go on a quest for a metal comb tomorrow. I used a plastic "unbreakable" one before, and needless to say... it broke. So, unless I get a massive inspiration to do natural dreads, I'm going to try and get my head backcombed this weekend. Except I'm gonna do random positioning, and make them a bit thinner.

13. HippieAdrien

HippieAdrien Member

yeah sounds good. good luck!

14. knotdirty

knotdirty Over the Rainbow

try a flea comb. You can get them in any pet section at any store, and they work really well.

15. WorldPeace

WorldPeace Senior Member

yes, i tried a normal comb first too, but they all fell out, flee comb works best!

16. bunjies

bunjies Member

i used a long handled flea comb too, i found the little ones uncomfortable after a while and got cramp in my hands, the oe with the handle is sooooo much better!

17. Silver Shadow

Silver Shadow Member

I undid mine after 5 weeks, and didnt need to condition or wet them. I just started picking at them with my fingers and a needle, and they were all undone within one day. Dont freak at the amount of hair you lose, its only hair that has naturally shed. ;)

18. Guest543

Guest543 Member

Haha, yea. I lose a lot of hair in the shower.. haven't lost any for the past 2 weeks or so. I'm excpecting a bit.

Sadly, I had to buy a $2.00 plastic comb. I went to the local pet shop, and they only sold plastic flea combs, and it looks really flimsy, so I chose not to buy it. If this one breaks, I might try the flimsy looking flea comb, or just buy another one depending on how it handles things.

*Sigh* It starts today... I can't wait for the wonderful weekend of backcombing, all by myself!! /Sarcasm

19. Guest543

Guest543 Member

Okay, I have yet another question...

Does Dr. Bronners make your hair lay better? Most shampoo leaves my hair frizzy, but after I conditioned, and brushed my dreads out, my hair is now not frizzy, and laying flat. This is either because I ripped a MASSIVE chunk of hair out. I'm talking a chunk as big as a hamster. It took up over half of my palm... or because Dr. Bronner's shampoo helped.

I honestly think it's because I ripped out so much hair, and that makes me REALLY sad. That means less ahir for dreads, and more frizzies that get to grow on.

/cry

EDIT: Oh yea, and my head hurts from ripping out so much hair. Ouch.