Tips on moving house

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by torz, Jan 15, 2009.

1. torz

torz Member

i'm not sure where to put this so i'm posting it here in RT!

I'm moving house soon & i've never really moved house like this before.

i lived with my parents in the same house for 20 years & i then moved out to be with my fiance 4 years ago. we both moved in to the rented property with hardly anything. most things we have, have either been bought by us or given to us shortly after moving in. moving out of my parents was easy enough because it was basicly 1 rooms worth of stuff & i didnt have to move it out by a dead line. i moved it all over a period of time. now i have to move a whole house, beds, sofas, fridge freezer etc. i have mild anxiety & when i look at all the stuff we are going to have to move i start to panic.

i'm asking everyone who has had to move a whole house, do you have any hints & tips? any do's & dont's? when should i start? how should i pack?

i dont have any children but i do have a cat & a turtle to move. i'm thinking of putting the cat in to the cattery for the week we move. but i look at the huge turtle tank & i dont have a clue how we will move it.

2. CaptainLS

CaptainLS Banned

since I was 17 I never really unpacked so moving is easy

3. lode

lode Banned

You're moving a whole house?

My advice is to stretch first and to lift from the legs.

4. torz

torz Member

not literally picking up & moving the house to another location (tho i have seen it done on tv), but packing stuff up & moving it from one location to another.

the whole contents of my life when i moved from my parents fitted in to 2 boxes & a few bin bags of clothes. now i have a 3 bedroomed house worth of stuff to pack up & move & the thought is frightning.

5. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Well, of course you're going to need to plan and set aside the days of packing things up... plan atleast a week or so in advance, that way you can enlist the help of some of your friends, especially if you are moving heavy furniture.

You also may want to ask around to see if you know anyone who has a hand truck and some cables, they will make the moving of your freezer a bit easier.

All this is assuming that you are renting a truck or some such... is there any chance you have the quid to just hire movers?

6. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

I've moved 5 times since becoming 19 and moving out of my own first place, 4 times I moved after my son was born. Except for 2 of those, the other 3 I did without having a drivers liscence, so I asked a friend who had a car to drive either a rented truck or a work van. It's easy as long as you have at least one friend who is fairly strong to help move bureaus and wood entertainment centers.

7. torz

torz Member

we cant hire movers because we just dont have the money. plus my fiance has his own works van & has access to another van for moving stuff but will have to do several trips.

i'm going to ask my bro if he will help, he has a small van & can help lift heavey stuff with my fiance.

how the hell do you move the fridge freezer? can you just unplug it on the day & move it? or do you have to empty it of the food first & left it walm up before moving it? i'd be a bit gutted if we had to eat all the food first.

8. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

Take everything cold out, put it all in coolers with ice, move the appliance, and then put it all back in.

9. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

if you need boxes, go to a target or walmart and ask someone in the stock room for their extras. i like the walmart boxes best. they're VERY STURDY. label everything.

moving the heavy stuff isn't that bad. me and dave did it all the time. it's not as heavy as your beain is telling you. for the super heavy stuff, if you don't have a dolly, put it on a really sturdy piece of cardboard and drag it along carefully.