timothy leary

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Acorn, May 17, 2004.

1. Acorn

Acorn Member

okay, i once knew this but i forgot.
    what did he do thats so huge?
    did he invent lsd?

2. maybejusthappy

maybejusthappy Member

no, Abbie Hoffman invented it. Timothy Leary was a professor at Harvard who was majorly pro-acid. At least that's what I know.

3. WaitingForTheSun

WaitingForTheSun Member

No, but he brought LSD use into the open. At that time, doctors were still unsure of the effects of LSD, so he starting using it and running sessions with LSD with himself and people he knew, and also with religious groups in the like. Eventually, he was fired from Harvard and started the League for Spiritual Discovery and pretty much made LSD use his life. I'm leaving out a lot of details, just trying to give you a brief explanation.

4. LostChord

LostChord Member

Leary has definitly had a huge impact on my life

his manual 'The Psychedelic Experience'... life changing

and just look at his whole life..
    he's a genius

5. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

no, he just promoted it. some people say he ruined the whole movement by going about it the wrong way. and the merry pranksters said he was on a crypt trip.

he was a smart dude, didnt always make the best choices, but hey who does?

6. jackovgoesjacko

jackovgoesjacko Member

abbie hoffman didnt invent acid. it was albert hoffman
    I knew that-had to double back and check tho. he called acid his "problem child" because he didnt see a purpose for it in his scientific studies. leary was a drug experimenter who used LSD to attain spirtual discovery and enlightenment. He was a drug pioneer in the 1960s along with Richard Alpert (Ram Dass)

7. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

and Hoffmann and Ram Dass are still alive.

(shocked me to see Albert H on the Mind States lecture list)
    Leary was big into set and setting, something the Pranksters laughed at.
    Leary was approaching it as a healing tool, rather than a blasting tool.
    Sometimes both are needed...
    I see Leary as the forerunner to the therapists who used/use MDMA in their practice today.

8. veinglory

veinglory Member

Because Leary was a legitimate senior academic it was a big deal when he said LSD expanded consciousness etc.

9. ChiefCowpie

ChiefCowpie hugs and bugs

yah, it was abbie's dad, albert who synthesized lsd

10. jackovgoesjacko

jackovgoesjacko Member

LSD is scientifically called lsyergic acid diethylamide and it is actually LSD-25 not LSD. LOL For a good book on the pioneering of the LSD-25 creation read "My Problem Child" by Albert Hoffman.

who here has tried LSA

11. PeRrY

PeRrY Member

LSA' alright if you can handle the stomach ache you get when you eat MGs(if you get one,not all people will), But i would rather try a diff. way of taking it rather then eat the actual seeds. I know you can extract it using water, but i haven't tried it yet, so i don't know if it works good.

12. jackovgoesjacko

jackovgoesjacko Member

ya leary was a real dick to the Pranksters the summer that the Merry Pranksters took their so-called traveling circus act bus trip across the States. They visited the Millbrook mansion in NY where Leary, Alpert, and others were trippin out on cid and were rudely welcomed. They were not exactly invited guests and were not given a friendly reception. It's interesting that Kesey and his gang with Ken Babbs, Neal Cassady, Fetchin Gretchin, and the rest of them didn't get along with Leary and company who were on the same trip. I guess the most logical answer to my question which has now become rhetorical (LOL) is that Leary was seeking enlighenment and spirtiual awakening with LSD and the folks from Haight-Ashbury were just trippin for recreation-but then again thats not really true either because the ACID TESTS they held in Palo Alto and San Fran and other places was to turn the general public onto the mystical qualities of the drug which they offered to people at no charge, filling huge vats with LSD and kool-aid.

Alright,
    theres a little history

Damnit I wanna move up in the pecking order of this web forum IMAO

13. jackovgoesjacko

jackovgoesjacko Member

ya i dont want to eat the morning glory seeds cuz i heard and read they make you violently ill and give you stomach cramps galore.

14. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

www.leary.com

is the place to satisfy your curiosity about Tim Leary.

15. LostChord

LostChord Member

too bad his site has been closed for a while

16. tuesdayafternoon

tuesdayafternoon Member

Well, I know that he'll fly astro planes, take you trips around the bay, and bring you back the same day ;)

17. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

yes - sorry the leary site is temporarily down!

18. sassure

sassure Member

Folks here at Harvard have changed a bit since the '60s, but there are still a few free spirits.....the students here have just outraged everyone by publishing a magazine about sex, called THE H BOMB....with pictures no less.

And a man in his 60s was in the square today wearing a sign that said FUCK BUSH...and he was jumping up and down, shooting the finger at no one in particular, saying, "This one is for you, Mr. Bush!"

Leary would still feel right at home.....

19. WhatIs

WhatIs Member

>>a man in his 60s was in the square today wearing a sign that said FUCK BUSH...and he was jumping up and down, shooting the finger at no one in particular, saying, "This one is for you, Mr. Bush!" <<

That makes me feel good!

20. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

ah, timothy leary.

There was a bio on him the other day on tv. One trippy fellow.