Time travel movies.

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi Movies' started by Razorofoccam, May 7, 2008.

1. Valdis

Valdis Member

Yes! I couldn't into the show when it was on. I'm not sure why. I hear they showed the episodes out of order or something nutty like that?

However, in a boxed set in order they are pretty great! I just want MORE!

2. Nivekian

Nivekian Member

Can someone please explain how Groundhog Day is even remotely about time travel?
    As far as I could tell the main character is trapped in a time flux and does not actually travel between timelines.

Also, can someone explain how Donnie Darko is about time travel?
    From what I gathered from the movie it dealt with an after death paradox.

---------------- Now playing: múm - The Land Between Solar Systems

3. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

It seems that the title of this thread is a bit of a misnomer because when you read the actual first post by Razorofoccam, it seems to be talking more about; "guessing outside the box of linear time and simple movement through it back and forwards" and "lateral sideways stuff.." so Groundhog Day would actually fit that discription. I've never seen Donnie Darko so I can't help you there.

4. Valdis

Valdis Member

Darko is seeing things that don't happen in his current time and therefore doing traveling of a sort.

Ground Hog Day has a character stuck and therefore traveling to the same day over and over again.

5. Razorofoccam

Razorofoccam Banned

Nivekian

well he was caught in a chronotic loop.
    lets not start
    any modification of one sec per sec or alteration to linear time..
    is time travel. Einsteinian dilation is time travel.
    darko.. engine fell out of sky he wsnt there the 'first' time it fell.
    interupted chronotic loop

looking for it on torrent sites now

What. is a timeline?

occam

6. darrellkitchen

darrellkitchen Lifetime Supporter

Well, actually, it is about time-travel, but not like a one way trip in either direction. It's a causality loop. Time looped due to a cause, specifically initiated by one individual. The individual caught in a causality loop can change the outcome of each timeline he enters. At least one of those timelines will continue when the cause that created the causality loop is changed. Problem with causality loops is, no one knows what they need to do to get out of it ... least not immediately apparent.

It's a combination of time-travel and alternate-realities that keep repeating until the correct one is choosen. If such a thing were really possible, then the drawback to being stuck in a causality loop is, the one who keeps repeating time will age while everyone else doesn't. So what seems like a few days to those outside the loop can be a few years to the one inside. Worse case scenario is the one inside can get stuck in a causality loop until they die.

Star Trek TNG had an episode of a causality Loop where Picard kept being flung back in time to escape an energy vortex in space, only to meet his past self who had to decide on what to do to keep the causality from reaccuring ... that was the Picard from the future had to die to end it.

Never seen Donnie Darko, so can't comment on that.

HTML:

7. darrellkitchen

darrellkitchen Lifetime Supporter

What I would like to see in a Time Travel movie is what would actually occur in real time travel.

If one were able to stop time itself, then space would also stop ... actually both time and space would cease to exist. The one who stopped time would literally exist everywhere in the universe simultaneously from the beginning of time (if there were ever such a period) to the end of time (again, if there were ever such a period). To perform an actual time-travel they would just have to choose at which point they wish to start time back up.

It would not be like Hiro on Heroes, who when he stops time, everything is frozen in place. As long as you can see everyone and everything, then all that is going on is time was slowed down tremendously for everyone else, or sped up tremendously for the one who "stopped time".

I stopped time once when I was in the army. Time for everyone else did not actually freeze, but my perception of it was sped up greatly to the point where everything in my perception was extremely slow.

Here's the drawback to actual time travel by stopping time and then restarting it back up ... You would not reappear as the same person you were when you initially stopped it. You would, however, reappear as the person you were in the time you existed in that you reappeared. Causality. You would know who you were both in the present reppearing in, and from the present disappearing from.

Its a concept really, time! According to Buddhist philosophy we are a product of past actions, our physical appearance and this particular realm of existence. We create every realm of existence we lived in, appeared in, live in, and will reappear in. So if we were to actually travel back by stopping and restarting time and reappear as our own selves that did the stopping and restarting then we would cease to exist the moment we reappeared in a time outside our own current time because we took back with us the resulting actions from a previous lifetime ... in effect canceling out the cause for the present action ... Causality.

In order to prevent this cessation of action from past lives, we would have to reppear as the individual or thing we were in the time we choose to reappear in. Unfortunately, we could also create a paradox if we deviated from any action which would have the effect of perpetuating our existence into a future time.

And a good thing would be that once we stopped time, all the knowledge of our past and future selves would be instantaneously known. One would literally become one with the entire universe, without actually being the universe itself. A religious fanatic would call this being God. A non-religious person would just call this being One.

Sound far-fetched?

Perhaps.

But, I really believe it is entirely possible ...

HTML:

8. OlderWaterBrother

Thanx Darrell, very interesting!

As for when you say that you had stopped time or at least slowed it, I thought, that has happened to me several times but I never thought of it as time manipulation before. I've never made it happen but it seems to happen automatically when I need it, like when a car accident is about to happen it seems like I suddenly have an hour to think about it.

9. waukegan

waukegan Member

i still remember going downtown to see "time machine"i was abot 10 and it really made me interested in history and sci-fi.i see it on t.v. once in awile and its always a treat.i haven't seen the newer version yet but i hope to.i dig time traveling.

10. waukegan

waukegan Member

the only thing stopping us from doing anything is ourselves.our self doubts.but a time machine would be fun to use too.remember the t.v. show from about 66-68 called the time tunnel.i watched it every week.

11. Valdis

Valdis Member

I've heard that's good. I'd like to find it in a boxed set at my library and check it out!

12. monkey paw

monkey paw Member

How about Big?

13. OlderWaterBrother

How about "Peggy Sue Got Married"?

14. OlderWaterBrother

Since books were mentioned, I thought that the "Forever War" by Joe Haldeman was excellent.

15. def zeppelin

def zeppelin All connected

How about Dark City?

16. largeamount

largeamount Senior Member

donnie darko is the best time travel movie

17. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

Suprised no one mention Time Bandits, one of my favorite time-travel films.

[​IMG]

hotwater likes this.
  18. Razorofoccam

Razorofoccam Banned

Time bandits is a classic.. and more realistic than terminator.

19. Razorofoccam

Razorofoccam Banned

Older

Foreverwar is great read. Time dilation used as a core for story.
    IF. we can never escape the tyrany of lightspeed and special rel.

Then foreverwar is a given.

We will fill this galaxy or die trying

Occam

20. waukegan

waukegan Member

slaughterhouse five.