Time for a Revolution!

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by john_the_pothead, May 11, 2004.

1. john_the_pothead

john_the_pothead Member

First, let's review why marijuana was made illegal:

The director of the DEA testified in 1937 in favor of prohibition saying: “Marijuana is the most violence causing drug in the history of mankind. Most marijuana smokers are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their satanic music, jazz and swing result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes.”

Shortly before The Marijuana Tax Act of 1937 banned marijuana, new technologies were developed that made hemp a potential competitor with the newly founded synthetic fiber and plastics industries. Hemp's potential for producing paper also posed a threat to the timber industry. It is possible that commercial interests having much to lose from hemp competition helped propagate reefer madness hysteria, and used their influence to lobby for Marijuana Prohibition.

It isn’t known for certain if there was a conspiracy to destroy the hemp industry via Marijuana Prohibition, but enough evidence exists to raise the possibility.

there are so many good reasons marijuana should be legalized:

-The government could tax it like they do cigarettes, etc. I disagree with those who say there would be a problem actually taxing the drug because a large corporation could grow large fields and sell it for much cheaper than pot from dealers and it would be legal, they could make peronal growing illegal

-There would be fewer problems with underage abuse, as commando and others were worried about in other topic because the government would undoubtedly set an age limit of at least 18

-There would be fewer cases of problems with "laced" pot because the government would pass regulations, etc. (although i have never had problems with this, I have heard stories)

-Alcohol and Tobacco are both far more harmful than marijuana, which doesn't kill brain cells or produce as much harmful...stuff as tobacco. (try exhaling a cigarette through a white sock and then the largest hit you can take of pot, the cigarette leaves a large yellow stain while the pot leaves almost nothing, its not very scientific but pretty convincing)

-It's not like there would be no regulations on driving stoned, and they probably will be very strict about it, so I dont think anyone would really be put an anymore danger than they are now

-The whole reverse psycology thing, fewer kids will try it because it's not illegal and dangerous, i dunno how this will work out, but I dont think legalizing pot would affect the amount of kids who toke very much.

so why hasn't pot been legalized? is it because our country's under conservitave leadership, or because we need to push the matter more with demonstrations?

or am I wrong, and should pot be illegal?
    im interested in everyone's thoughts on the matter, although posting on a marijuana board, i will proabably get a slightly biased opinion ;)

2. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

The prohibition of mj was a decision that was made in less than 90 seconds when brought forth. Harry J. Anslinger headed up a witch hunt for the prohibition of mj. William Hearst was against the usage of mj, so he offered his infamous "yellow press" techniques with helping to make it illegal. Alot of the decision was based on racial issues as well. DuPont chemicals had thier hands in on it too.

There is an AMAZING book called "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" by Jack Herer. It is a MUST for those seeking the TRUTH about mj and learn all the ways the government has been lying to us about this sacred herb for a long, long, time. There is an abridged version of this book online at...:

www.jackherer.com

3. TreePhiend

TreePhiend Member

of course it should be legal. It is even dumber than the alcohol prohibition, which everyone quickly realized was not working. Even seeing the conspiracy theroies and knowing why pot is illegal still is hard to comprehend that so few people could manage to pass the law and so easily, and most of the population has never have questioned it.

4. God

God Member

Man, i got so high, that I thought I was God. Wait, I AM god. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA! Nevermind.

God, I'm stoned...

5. NoVictimNoCrime

NoVictimNoCrime -

Yeeeeeoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. BudToker

BudToker Senior Member

Dude, this arguement has been made a bunch of times.

I think all drugs should be legal, with regulations. refer to the thread: "Drugs made ilelgal because of racism".

7. passittotheleft

passittotheleft Senior Member

It's a good argument except for the "marijuana doesn't kill brain cells" part. It doesn't kill nearly as many brain cells as alcohol, but it does kill some associated with inhaling carbon dioxide.